• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First bad OC experience, at a bank none the less

Kolat

imported post

After work today I went to my usual bank to deposit my paycheck, have been with this bank for the last 4+ years and OC weekly into one of their branches to put in my check. As I was talking to my teller completeing my deposit the assistant bank manager walked over to me and told me "Did you know that it's a federal offense to have a firearm in a bank?" I replied that no it was'nt a federal offense and also was not a state law, but that being a private entity they could make the decission that firearms were or were not allowed in the bank and if they did'nt want to allow them then I would be more than happy to close my account. He seemed really surprised that I responded that way but seemed genuinely happy to figure out what the rules were. I asked him if he could provide me in writing with the company policy that stated that firearms were not allowed and he called around but could'nt provide me with it. He did try and rationalize that wearing a gun in a bank was akin to wearing a ski mask, but I explained to him that I carry around large sums of money and that of anywhere I go banks are one of the more likely places I am to be when a robbery occurs because banks get robbed all the time. Ended up he is going to call their security manager or something and see what he can get in writing. Withholding the name of the bank till It's either confirmed or denied as to what they say. No signs present that state no firearms also.

ETA.

OK so I talked to the manager at the bank today after work, then was prompted to talk to their local security expert who is in charge of their local Security and got a lot more info.

First the bank was CHASE bank, will be adding this post to the First post when I get done.

Second the assistant manager who told me that he was told by the store manager was refering to the manager of the grocery store that the branch is located in, not the manager of the branch. So I ended up talking to the manager of the branch today, It was a rather frustrating call she said she understood the law and that since washington state issued concealed carry permits that she felt that I should conceal my pistol when in the bank. I told her that legally she could tell me that I could'nt carry in the branch and if I did'nt comply then they could have me arrested for trespassing and asked her if that was what would happen if I continued to carry as I have for the last 4 years. She just repeated what she had already said instead of answering me, I then explained to her that I felt that openly carrying a firearm was preventative and would lower the odds of me actually needing to use it, she then said the same thing AGAIN, and offered to have their security expert call me, I think I surprised her when I said OK!

Third About 2 hours later the local security expert gave me a call, conversation with him went much better. He started out telling me that chase chooses to follow washington state law and since washington state allows open carry that they are perfectly fine with open carry in their branches, and furthermore he has informed the employees at all the branches that it is perfectly legal to open carry and to help anyone OCing out and to tell them to have a nice day. He did say that they of course would'nt want someone OCing to be resting their hands on the butt of the gun, etc.

T

Mo

Banned
imported post

He should apologize for the B.S. "Federal Offense" statement.

Kolat

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
You should NOT withhold the banks name. Most likely someone here already knows their corporate policy.

According to my google-fu they are anti-gun in their lending practices but could'nt find anythng regarding carrying.

T

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Kolat wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:
You should NOT withhold the banks name. Most likely someone here already knows their corporate policy.

According to my google-fu they are anti-gun in their lending practices ...

???

How are they anti-gun in lending practices?

I agree, there is no need to withhold the bank name. Whatever you reported...actually happened in said bank.

eye95

imported post

Kolat wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:

According to my google-fu they are anti-gun in their lending practices but could'nt find anythng regarding carrying.

T
Sounds like Chase.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

eye95 wrote:
Kolat wrote:
simmonsjoe wrote:

T
Sounds like Chase.
X2!

But, Chase is one of the few banks that has actually paid off their billions of dollars in debt from bailout funds from 2008. They had it paid in less than 1 years time. Most other banks have not paid a dime back yet.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

If I had the chance to take a loan I didn't need, invest the money at a higher return, and then pay it back before people started complaining about it, I'd be all over it like white on rice.

Batousaii

imported post

WA here too. And no, it is not a federal offense, and your correct, no state law. Correct too they can ask you to leave. I think you handled the situation very well, sounds like you forced him to re-think and do some homework, and hopefully he gets a learning. I would be curious what bank/branch location it was in too. I OC alot in my area, Stores etc. and haven't received any issues, though i admit to being shy regarding banks, and still tend to cover up in them :p - working on the bravery index there.

Bat.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
X2!

But, Chase is one of the few banks that has actually paid off their billions of dollars in debt from bailout funds from 2008. They had it paid in less than 1 years time. Most other banks have not paid a dime back yet.
I haven't researched the entire issue, but some I trust have pointed out that Chase did not, in fact, repay the entire amount but rather a part of it, and did it with borrowed funds.

Not saying this to help or hurt anyone or anything, just reminding us that a full-page ad in a newspaper saying "ain't we great" is not enough for me.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Im in Washington and have carried into several Banks with no issues. Matter of fact a few of the tellers thought it should be reasonable they have a gun behind the counter after all they are on the frontline of a Robbery.

Phoenix David

imported post

Why do people always want to "withhold the name" of place that bans guns of give people a hard time? Are they afraid? Remember the truth is an absolute defense.

I am not afraid to say that Fry's Electronics in Phoenix Arizona is ant 2nd Amendment and that they have no security there so if something were to go down in there you have a good chance of ending up dead.

eye95

imported post

Tess wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
X2!

I haven't researched the entire issue, but some I trust have pointed out that Chase did not, in fact, repay the entire amount but rather a part of it, and did it with borrowed funds.

Not saying this to help or hurt anyone or anything, just reminding us that a full-page ad in a newspaper saying "ain't we great" is not enough for me.
That sounds a lot like what GM did. Kinda like taking a cash advance on your Visa, paying off your MasterCard, and claiming that you got yourself outta debt.

elixin77

imported post

I'm part of the a state employees credit union. I normally just operate the ATM, but the few times I do go in, I OC. I haven't had an issue yet. Last time I carried in the bank, I had to redo my ID card because I lost it. Just about every face to face encounter I had, they all looked at my hip, saw my gun, and kept on going without changing a beat.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Phoenix David wrote:
Why do people always want to "withhold the name" of place that bans guns of give people a hard time?
I think it is some kind ofattempted forum political correctness/scared of legal repercussions effect. It's very weird.

They don't always do it, of course. It's in the minority, actually.

Phoenix David wrote:
I am not afraid to say that [ redacted ] in [ redacted ] is ant 2nd Amendment and that they have no security there so if something were to go down in there you have a good chance of ending up dead.
Careful, careful...

:D

eye95

imported post

Or, maybe he just doesn't want to make trouble for a whole bank when the problem might be just one errant manager.

How about we give this situation a chance to play out before we start implying that the OP is some kind of rhetorical coward.

paramedic70002

imported post

"It's a Federal offense, and it's illegal."

Serious face. "Please show or quote to me the relevant Federal or State Code."

(Deer in the headlights look. Crickets chirping...)

Smiling. "Are you going to have an FBI Agent, U.S. Marshall, or Police Officer come and arrest me? I can assure you that I am not breaking any law. You might want to check with your legal counsel before proceeding."

BLAH BLAH the usual stuff...

I love to call people out when they go over the edge and don't have a lifeline.