Thread: CC with having your CCW card on you

Post imported post

I have been wondering about two thing that maybe someone here can educate me on.

1. I have a CCW permit for Nevada but not every pistol I own is listed on it.

So what are the laws regarding CC of a gun not listed on your permit.

2. What if you are stopped while CC and don't have your CC Card on you?

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA

Post imported post

Terry NLV wrote:
    I have been wondering about two thing that maybe someone here can educate me on.

Near as I can tell, the answer to both questions is "Don't!"

Post imported post

First and foremost, Don't.

Though if for some reason you ended up in that situation, the fifth amendment is your friend. :P
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

Post imported post

Terry NLV wrote:

http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Pages/CCW_FAQ.php

"Add-A-Gun" to your permit.

Any revolver if you have "Revolver" on your permit. Otherwise, it goes by Brand/model/caliber. Each one does NOT need to be listed on the permit itself, but you DO need to qualify and take the paperwork to the local LE to add it to your database.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

If you do NOT have your permit, or if you do NOT present it and identification when requested, it is only a civil penalty. I did not recall that distinction.

NRS 202.3667 Permittee to carry permit and proper identification when in possession of concealed firearm; penalty.
    1. Each permittee shall carry the permit, or a duplicate issued pursuant to the provisions of NRS 202.367, together with proper identification whenever the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed firearm. Both the permit and proper identification must be presented if requested by a peace officer.

2. A permittee who violates the provisions of this section is subject to a civil penalty of $25 for each violation. (Added to NRS by 1995, 2724)
    http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-2...#NRS202Sec3667
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

wrightme wrote:
    If you do NOT have your permit, or if you do NOT present it and identification when requested, it is only a civil penalty. I did not recall that distinction.
    Once I read that, I stopped carrying my CCW months ago. I do casual conceal (throw my shirt over my OWB holster) once a week when I go certain places.

Activist Member

Post imported post

Terry NLV wrote:
    I have been wondering about two thing thatÂ* maybe someone here can educate me on.

The permit only applies to the semi-automatic pistols you have listed on it by make, model, and caliber, as well as applies to revolvers if you have qualified with one. (The term "Revolver" legally includes any single or double derringer.)

If the gun is not on the permit it must be carried openly. I may be missing something but to me it seems that carrying a Kimber 1911 concealed when you have a Springfield 1911 listed could potentially have the same penalties as carrying a gun concealed without a permit, although one would hope the judicial system would go a bit easier on you or the officer would look the other way at such an inanity.

Post imported post

My reading of the statute is that carrying a firearm, concealed, that is not on your permit is the same as not having a permit to carry a concealed firearm. That is a category C felony http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-2...l#NRS202Sec350.

Ken

Post imported post

CowboyKen wrote:
    My reading of the statute is that carrying a firearm, concealed, that is not on your permit is the same as not having a permit to carry a concealed firearm. That is a category C felony http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-2...l#NRS202Sec350.

Ken
    In Churchill County, "Add-A-Gun" with the Sheriff does not generate a new physical permit for your wallet. There is not true statutory requirement to have each firearm physically listed upon the card, but you DO need to qualify with each semi-auto and list all of them on your permit application. I understand that different sheriff's offices in NV handle the actual additions in dissimilar manners.

As for different makes of 1911, yes you do need to qualify with a Kimber 1911 .45 5" barrel, AND a Springfield 1911 .45 5" barrel. Why? Because the Legislature bowed to the NVSCA and Frank Adams. Maybe this time around.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA

Post imported post

wrightme wrote:
    As for different makes of 1911, yes you do need to qualify with a Kimber 1911 .45 5" barrel, AND a Springfield 1911 .45 5" barrel. Why? Because the Legislature bowed to the NVSCA and Frank Adams. Maybe this time around.
    Go to the meetings and rallies and ask the people who want your vote for a commitment to sponsor a bill to legalize Constitutional Carry, the way they did in Arizona. Anyone who won't give you a clear and firm commitment should be informed that this is a minimum requirement for your vote and support.

I would rather put a Democrat in place of a Republican who won't stand up for my right to live long enough to vote the next time. Next time around, maybe the Republicans will find someone worthy of my vote.

Post imported post

DVC wrote:
    wrightme wrote:
    Go to the meetings and rallies and ask the people who want your vote for a commitment to sponsor a bill to legalize Constitutional Carry, the way they did in Arizona. Anyone who won't give you a clear and firm commitment should be informed that this is a minimum requirement for your vote and support.

I would rather put a Democrat in place of a Republican who won't stand up for my right to live long enough to vote the next time. Next time around, maybe the Republicans will find someone worthy of my vote.

Wrightme is on of the people who has been a leader in working with the state leg to get things changed. So he is well on top of anything going on.

Post imported post

DVC wrote:
    wrightme wrote:
    Hello, I live in VA now and will move to NV next year. I have a VA CCW permit which was a WHOLE lot easier to get than NV. I just had to show my DD-214 proof of honorable military service, fill out the application and 30 days later I had my CCW.

This forum is VERY educational and I appreciate the info. However I have a question regarding the qualification for .45 cal. Must I qualify with the Kimber even if I don't have that make .45?? and or that make Springfield?? I am hoping I read that wrong.

Post imported post

he was refering to this

If the gun is not on the permit it must be carried openly. I may be missing something but to me it seems that carrying a Kimber 1911 concealed when you have a Springfield 1911 listed could potentially have the same penalties as carrying a gun concealed without a permit, although one would hope the judicial system would go a bit easier on you or the officer would look the other way at such an inanity.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

one would hope the judicial system would go a bit easier on you or the officer would look the other way at such an inanity.
    The way things are with the state's budget shortfalls, believing that the judicial system will pass on an opportunity to collect revenue for any violation no matter how minor is nothing short of false hope. It used to be that if you where at a red light with a police car behind you, you had a 50/50 chance of being pulled over. Now it's almost a certainty. They're just hoping that you'll cop to something and right you a ticket for what ever you admit to.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    CowboyKen wrote:
    In Churchill County, "Add-A-Gun" with the Sheriff does not generate a new physical permit for your wallet. There is not true statutory requirement to have each firearm physically listed upon the card, but you DO need to qualify with each semi-auto and list all of them on your permit application. I understand that different sheriff's offices in NV handle the actual additions in dissimilar manners.

True statement. Thanks, Dave.

Who knows how each jurisdiction would handle this situation. But I would like to think the matter would be cleared up quickly.

And we hope to gain "any semi-auto" in the 2011 legislative session.