• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Different OC in Bank / Credit Union Question

Brad Cowin

imported post

With the weather finally warming up around here I'll be OC about 95% of the time now. I have only been 21 for about 7 months now. You have to be 21 to OC/CC in Washington. Since I have been able to legally carry, I have always been wearing a jacket every time I have needed to go to my credit union. I have never went out of my way to OC by taking my jacket off.

My CU doesn't have a no weapons sign, but they do have a sticker on their doors saying something along the lines of "Remove sunglasses and hats. No display of weapons". I hardly consider OCing while going about your daily business a display, but obviously that is not my call. I'm not going call or go in CC and ask for their policy, AKA ask for permission to do something legal. I plan to go in there with my pay check, hopefully deposit it as normal, and leave as I normally would without a negative encounter. That's the plan anyways... But, that brings me to the entire point of this thread. I have been with these guys for quite a while. Long enough that I had my parents with me when I opened my first account. I am pretty green when it comes to procedures on closing accounts and such.

If they tell me I need to lose the gun or leave, what is the process for closing an account? Do I get a cashiers check made out to me? I will obviously attempt to reason with the employee / manager, but will not think twice about about doing my banking elsewhere if they don't allow OC.

t33j

imported post

I got cash when I closed my account at Wachovia. I just got taken into one of the offices where an employee spent ~10 minutes fiddling with a computer.

onlurker

imported post

Brad Cowin wrote:
If they tell me I need to lose the gun or leave, what is the process for closing an account?
It's very simple and goes a little something like this:

You: "Hi, I would like to close my account."

Them: "Sorry to hear, is there a particular reason why?"

You: Explain you don't agree with their prohibition of your freedom of choice to carry openly

They will probably try to convince you why they think their policy is a good idea, but ultimately they'll have to either cut you a cashier's check (which most likely will cost you a small fee) or cash depending on what choice (check or cash) you'll want and then close your account. Closing a bank account is easy and they pretty much have to close it when you request closure of the account, sometimes they'll even do it right at the counter. Worst case is you have to walk out, throw some clothing over the pistol and come back in to close the account.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I've OCed into several Banks and Credit Unions here in Washington and never have had a problem.

But probably a good idea to remove dark glasses and not wear a hood up on your sweatshirt while doing so.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Brad Cowin wrote:
With the weather finally warming up around here I'll be OC about 95% of the time now. I have only been 21 for about 7 months now. You have to be 21 to OC/CC in Washington. Since I have been able to legally carry, I have always been wearing a jacket every time I have needed to go to my credit union. I have never went out of my way to OC by taking my jacket off.

My CU doesn't have a no weapons sign, but they do have a sticker on their doors saying something along the lines of "Remove sunglasses and hats. No display of weapons". I hardly consider OCing while going about your daily business a display, but obviously that is not my call. I'm not going call or go in CC and ask for their policy, AKA ask for permission to do something legal. I plan to go in there with my pay check, hopefully deposit it as normal, and leave as I normally would without a negative encounter. That's the plan anyways... But, that brings me to the entire point of this thread. I have been with these guys for quite a while. Long enough that I had my parents with me when I opened my first account. I am pretty green when it comes to procedures on closing accounts and such.

If they tell me I need to lose the gun or leave, what is the process for closing an account? Do I get a cashiers check made out to me? I will obviously attempt to reason with the employee / manager, but will not think twice about about doing my banking elsewhere if they don't allow OC.
Open the account with another bank first. Then ask for an electronic transfer. May cost a couple of dollars, but depending on the size of your account, could be a lot safer and quicker than any other method.

KBCraig

imported post

If it's a checking account that you're closing, you need some important information: exactly checks and/or debit card transactions are still outstanding. You need to leave enough money in the account to cover those transactions.

(Not even all debit card transactions are instant; some can take a day or two to process.)

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

So what bank do you do business with? Posting this in the Washington forum would have got you the answers you were looking for as well.

I have information on several banks in Washington but without your banks name I can't tell you their policy.

CUOfficer

imported post

To close your account you can withdraw all the funds in cash, bank check, money order, cashier's check, etc. However, they do not have to make all of your funds available to withdraw on the same day. I would recommend talking to the president and figuring out what their exact policy is.

Also, have a new checking account opened somewhere else so that you don't have any interruption in service!

Brad Cowin

imported post

Sounds straight forward enough...

I bank with Horizon Credit Union. I hadn't really looked before but the look like they are Eastern WA and Northern ID only.

Just called corporate actually. Talked with their security guy. He said the no display of weapons meant no open carry. Uniformed LEO are the only ones they trust to OC. They are fine with CC though. Had to be half a dozen ignorant (not really anti though) statements about OC that I chose not to argue.

So now what do you think my best course of action is:

Go in CC and close my accounts?
Go in OC and close my accounts?
Go in OC and attempt to bank as normal but close my accounts if asked to leave / remove weapon?

I immediately regretted calling. Still not really sure why I did. If this particular branch is ok with OC, then I'll still be banking with an anti-OC company. Although I have no loans with them and they pay me interest, it still wouldn't feel right.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

I would have gone with option C. Now that you are aware of their policy, option A or B seems the only honest way to handle the situation with B running the most risk because you are purposefully violating one of their policies.

If you otherwise like to bank there, and the branch manager is okay with it, then that is up to you and no decision is the wrong one.

ecocks

imported post

I'd go back and close my accounts and let them know why they were losing my business. OC or CC depending on your state's law regarding the applicability of trespass.