• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on Guns in work parking lot

Bersa.380

imported post

I had a conversation with a guy at work today in which he told me there has been several states that have passed laws saying employers can not infringe on our 2A right to lock a handgun in our vehicle while it is in their parking lot (of course they can request it does not come in their place of business). Is this true of Washington state ?

Can anyone direct me to a RCW or link ?

Comments .....

Aaron1124

imported post

I have not seen any RCWs that state that. I know, not much help there. However, I'm sure employers wouldn't mind you leave it in your vehicle. Most of the businesses that tell you it's prohibited in their store will often tell you to "leave it in the car" - so I don't see why the same principals wouldn't be applied for employees.

Besides, what about "don't ask, don't tell"?

I don't know of any employers who request to search personal vehicles.

joeroket

imported post

There is no such RCW. Employers are allowed to ban firearms on all of their property. Many employers do not want employees to have a firearm on the property at all but what they do not know won't hurt them, but may very well get you fired if they find out.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

As Joe said Washington does not have this great law on the books ( I sure wish they did).

Here is what the law looks like in Kentucky: KRS 237.106

Employers not permitted to prohibit weapons on property, if kept in a vehicle on that property
(1) No person, including but not limited to an employer, who is the owner, lessee, or occupant of real property shall prohibit any person who is legally entitled to possess a firearm from possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or ammunition component in a vehicle on the property.
(2) A person, including but not limited to an employer, who owns, leases, or otherwise occupies real property may prevent a person who is prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm or ammunition from possessing a firearm or ammunition on the property.
(3) A firearm may be removed from the vehicle or handled in the case of self-defense, defense of another, defense of property, or as authorized by the owner, lessee, or occupant of the property.
(4) An employer that fires, disciplines, demotes, or otherwise punishes an employee who is lawfully exercising a right guaranteed by this section, and who is engaging in conduct in compliance with this statute shall be liable in civil damages. An employee may seek and the court shall grant an injunction against an employer who is violating the provisions of this section when it is found that the employee is in compliance with the provisions of this section.
(5) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any real property:
(a) Owned, leased, or occupied by the United States government upon which the possession or carrying of firearms is prohibited or controlled;
(b) Of a detention facility as defined in KRS 520.010; or
(c) Where a section of the Kentucky Revised Statutes specifically prohibits possession or carrying of firearms on the property.

amlevin

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
I have not seen any RCWs that state that. I know, not much help there. However, I'm sure employers wouldn't mind you leave it in your vehicle. Most of the businesses that tell you it's prohibited in their store will often tell you to "leave it in the car" - so I don't see why the same principals wouldn't be applied for employees.

If nobody knows there is a gun in the vehicle is there really a gun in the vehicle?

(kind of a variation of the "tree falling in the forest" question)

The biggest issue with an Employee leaving a gun in the car would be the employer finding out. If someone wants to keep a secret, the best way is to tell NOBODY! All too often people people like to brag to their friends and associates and THAT's when the employer finds out.

amzbrady

imported post

amlevin wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

If nobody knows there is a gun in the vehicle is there really a gun in the vehicle?

(kind of a variation of the "tree falling in the forest" question)

The biggest issue with an Employee leaving a gun in the car would be the employer finding out. If someone wants to keep a secret, the best way is to tell NOBODY! All too often people people like to brag to their friends and associates and THAT's when the employer finds out.
True dat, most often your own mouth can be your worst enemy.

Metalhead47

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
I had a conversation with a guy at work today in which he told me there has been several states that have passed laws saying employers can not infringe on our 2A right to lock a handgun in our vehicle while it is in their parking lot (of course they can request it does not come in their place of business). Is this true of Washington state ?

Can anyone direct me to a RCW or link ?

Comments .....

DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL!

I know my employer, and many others, specifically prohibit keeping weapons in vehicles on the property. Just today I had to have my wife drop me off on the street outside my job, & leave my sidearm in the truck, just so I could go in & bid. Many others will have policies like this instead. If your employer DOESN'T have a written policy, for pete's sake DON'T GO ASKING THEM ABOUT IT! If your employer has an SOP or employee handbook containing all polices & rules, take the time to go thru it and see what (if anything) it mentions about weapons. If you start asking your superiors about it, it might just spur them into making a policy... which will probably ban you from carrying, storing, or even THINKING about guns while on company property. As others said, there's no law in this state (yet) that prohibits employers from prohibiting you from storing a weapon in your vehicle on their property. What they don't know, won't hurt YOU, and if they do have a written policy prohibiting such, well, I like the term "conscientious objector," (altho I can't spell it) and dark tinted windows have so many benefits....

Aaron1124

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
lol@ thinking about guns
No, I mean really... they have ways of knowing these things... you DO keep your tinfoil hat on at work, don't you? :shock:

I think someone on here even got flak for having an empty holster
Oh I know! I had to reinforce my tinfoil hat, because the satellite reception is strong.