• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer's experiences with LEO's while carrying openly

SpyderTattoo

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I don't carry I.D. for a variety of reasons. One is we are not a stop and I.D. state and we are not required to have I.D. Two it makes it a lot more difficult for the Law to ummmmm "encourage" you to cooperate when you are not breaking laws, you can honestly say to an officer who insists on seeing your "papers";)I don't have any on me. If they continue to harass you and cause more problems the burden is squarely on them. Assuming of course they don't have RAS.
I also do this. I leave my ID and my CPL in my truck when I'm OC'ing.
I have had a negative encounter with Kent PD and also a weird encounter. The first time I ever was stopped by KPD was when shopping at Winco with my wife and daughter. KPD approached me and threatened to take my pistol from me. He used color-of-law to coerce me into concealing. I was new to OC at the time and have since learned better.

The weird encounter was at Kent Station. I was in a Zumiez store to look for a hat. I had left my ID and CPL in my truck. Two KPD bicycle officers approached mein the store and asked if we could go outside and talk. So when I said "ok" officer #1 asked me to cover up my gun. I said, "I can't cover it up, I left my CPL in my truck." This is when he told me "It's OK this time, go ahead and cover it up so we can go outside".

That's when I said "So you're asking me to break the law?".

Thats when his face went completely blank because he just asked me to do something illegal.

So we all went outside onto the sidewalk anyway, me still OC'ing, and had a little chat. They asked me for my ID and I told them that was in my truck also. Both officer's faces were kind-op blank, jaws working but nothing coming out. He asked me to go to my truck and retrieve my CPL so I could come back to the store concealed. I told him "no. I'm not going all the way out to the parking lot to get my CPL just to conceal to look for a hat in one store.

After about five minutes of this back-and-forth I finally said to them "Have a nice day officers" and went into the store and continued to look for a hat. Basically I left them out on the sidewalk with their bikes and dumbfounded looks on their faces. Then I could see them through the window, riding away.

Ruby

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
I don't carry I.D. for a variety of reasons. One is we are not a stop and I.D. state and we are not required to have I.D. Two it makes it a lot more difficult for the Law to ummmmm "encourage" you to cooperate when you are not breaking laws, you can honestly say to an officer who insists on seeing your "papers";)I don't have any on me. If they continue to harass you and cause more problems the burden is squarely on them. Assuming of course they don't have RAS.
I have had a negative encounter with Kent PD and also a weird encounter. The first time I ever was stopped by KPD was when shopping at Winco with my wife and daughter. KPD approached me and threatened to take my pistol from me. He used color-of-law to coerce me into concealing. I was new to OC at the time and have since learned better.

The weird encounter was at Kent Station. I was in a Zumiez store to look for a hat. I had left my ID and CPL in my truck. Two KPD bicycle officers approached mein the store and asked if we could go outside and talk. So when I said "ok" officer #1 asked me to cover up my gun. I said, "I can't cover it up, I left my CPL in my truck." This is when he told me "It's OK this time, go ahead and cover it up so we can go outside".

Thats when his face went completely blank because he just asked me to do something illegal.

So we all went outside onto the sidewalk anyway, me still OC'ing, and had a little chat. They asked me for my ID and I told them that was in my truck also. Both officer's faces were kind-op blank, jaws working but nothing coming out. He asked me to go to my truck and retrieve my CPL so I could come back to the store concealed. I told him "no. I'm not going all the way out to the parking lot to get my CPL just to conceal to look for a hat in one store.

After about five minutes of this back-and-forth I finally said to them "Have a nice day officers" and went into the store and continued to look for a hat. Basically I left them out on the sidewalk with their bikes and dumbfounded looks on their faces. Then I could see them through the window, riding away.
Thanks for sharing that. It sounds like they were not up to speed on Washington State gun laws. Or maybe just trying to throw their weight around. I still don't understand why you wouldn't want your ID with you. I mean, what is wrong with letting them know who you are? Maybe I'm just too programmed! LOL I was under the impression that you have to have ID with you; I guess not. It's interesting that you didn't tell them that OC is legal in Washington, or maybe you did. These are the things I need to learn so if I am ever stopped and questioned by a LEO I will know how to handle it.

Ruby

imported post

Ruby wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:

Thanks for sharing that. It sounds like they were not up to speed on Washington State gun laws. Or maybe just trying to throw their weight around. I still don't understand why you wouldn't want your ID with you. I mean, what is wrong with letting them know who you are? Maybe I'm just too programmed! LOL I was under the impression that you have to have ID with you; I guess not. It's interesting that you didn't tell them that OC is legal in Washington, or maybe you did. These are the things I need to learn so if I am ever stopped and questioned by a LEO I will know how to handle it.
I guess my only concern with leaving my ID and CPL in my vehicle would be the loss of them if the car was broken into or stolen. And what is color of law? See, there are lots of things I still need to learn; I really appreciate all the imput and advice.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Ruby,

In Washington state there is NO requirement to carry ID , and there is NO law allowing an officer to "stop and Id" a person without reasonable articuable suspicion that the person has committed a crime, is in the process of committing a crime, or is about to commit a crime. If you present your ID and the officer has it in his control, your ability to freelymove is severely restricted. The only information you need to provide is your name and possibly address. They can only detain you long enough to verify that information. A request for your social security number is not allowed either as that is a violation of the federal privacy act.

Acting "Under the Color of Law" is using their position to compel you to comply with an act or order which they have no legal authority to demand. (intimidation)

Ruby

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Ruby,

In Washington state there is NO requirement to carry ID , and there is NO law allowing an officer to "stop and Id" a person without reasonable articuable suspicion that the person has committed a crime, is in the process of committing a crime, or is about to commit a crime. If you present your ID and the officer has it in his control, your ability to freelymove is severely restricted. The only information you need to provide is your name and possibly address. They can only detain you long enough to verify that information. A request for your social security number is not allowed either as that is a violation of the federal privacy act.

Acting "Under the Color of Law" is using their position to compel you to comply with an act or order which they have no legal authority to demand. (intimidation)
Thank you so much for the info. I am shocked that I didn't know these things about the law. I would be willing to bet that a vast majority of American society doesn't know them either, be it Washington or another state. They really don't want us to know our rights, do they? Makes it easier for them when they take them away. So much "they" don't tell you. Someone earlier mentioned RAS; I had never heard of it. I wonder how many people just here in Washington state don't know these things. I am getting more of an education than I counted on and I am grateful for that; these are things we ALL need to know. As they say, "Knowledge is power", which is probably why they don't broadcast these things. Ahhh, but I digress!

1245A Defender

imported post

thank you spidertatoo,,, i got BIG respect for you for doing that!!!

to ruby; unless you are actually arrested, you are not required to tell cops ANYTHING!!!

Ruby

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:

to ruby; unless you are actually arrested, you are not required to tell cops ANYTHING!!!
If I were ever arrested (very doubtful) the first and only words out of my mouth will be "I want a lawyer." Period. End of discussion. I already know that LEOs are not my friends and are just doing their job, at best. So far, all my encounters with LEOs have been positive, but then I have only OCed once at Starbucks with the group. I am not anticipating anything negative, just want to be prepared for that posssibility. Spidertatoo, I think you handled the situation beautifully. Maybe the LEOs learned something that day!

Ruby

imported post

Ruby wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:

If I were ever arrested (very doubtful) the first and only words out of my mouth will be "I want a lawyer." Period. End of discussion. I already know that LEOs are not my friends and are just doing their job, at best. So far, all my encounters with LEOs have been positive, but then I have only OCed once at Starbucks with the group. I am not anticipating anything negative, just want to be prepared for that posssibility. Spidertatoo, I think you handled the situation beautifully. Maybe the LEOs learned something that day!
I have been thinking about what you said. Since you had not committed a crime or done anything illegal, I would think that you wouldn't even have to step outside with them. It seems they always want to take you somewhere else to talk to you. I don't think you are obligated to go anywhere with them. Why don't they want other people to hear the conversation?!? I hope I would have the sense and intestinal fortitude to refuse to go anywhere with them and we can talk right here. If I am in a negative situation with LEOs and have done nothing wrong, I want witnesses around me that can vouch for what happened. I believe that they have to arrest you before they can force you to go with them. Please correct me if I am wrong. As I said, I am not anticipating any problem, I just want to know my rights should a problem arise.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ruby wrote:
Ruby wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:

I have been thinking about what you said. Since you had not committed a crime or done anything illegal, I would think that you wouldn't even have to step outside with them. It seems they always want to take you somewhere else to talk to you. I don't think you are obligated to go anywhere with them. Why don't they want other people to hear the conversation?!? I hope I would have the sense and intestinal fortitude to refuse to go anywhere with them and we can talk right here. If I am in a negative situation with LEOs and have done nothing wrong, I want witnesses around me that can vouch for what happened. I believe that they have to arrest you before they can force you to go with them. Please correct me if I am wrong. As I said, I am not anticipating any problem, I just want to know my rights should a problem arise.

I am not speaking for spydetattoo.

Correct, this isa trick that LEO uses. DO NOT fall for it! If you are asked to speak with them away from everyone else, STOP say no. Let witnesses watch (and record it). If they arrest you they will take you somewhere else.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

You are correct Ruby they cannont legally compel you to do anything unless you broke the law.

Well there are other situations too, I was walking on a sidewalk that went under an overpass and was told to move and go another way, a propane truck had wrecked above and the area was very dangerous.

Your assessment that most don't know the laws to this are true, or many do and are afraid of the repercussions. Media, movies, news and gov. agencies of course dolittle to educate you on your rights either.

Mainsail

imported post

Ruby, here is the advice I offer to anyone who chooses to carry openly; know what your rights are. I know it sounds cliché (“I know my rights!”) but you need to know when and why the police can or cannot seize a citizen of Washington. Knowledge is power (yes, another cliché) and if you are approached by a police officer for any reason it is to your benefit to know what their limitations are. As Clint is famous for saying, “A man has to know his limitations”, well, we should also know their limitations too!

People are in jail right now because the police approached them and ended up discovering a crime. Whenever the state decides to press charges, there is an evidentiary hearing to determine what evidence the state may or may not use against you. It is at this hearing that the court will determine if the police overstepped their legal limits in obtaining that evidence.

I have read Appeals Court cases where the evidence would have been dismissed IF the officer had detained (seized) the defendant. The police officer walked up, started talking, asked to see ID, asked if he could pat the defendant down for his safety, and discovered weapons or drugs or contraband or whatever.

The person appealed their conviction based on the fact that the officer didn’t have cause to seize the person in the first place. This is where it gets tricky. The officer simply claims he had never seized the defendant, but was merely having a friendly conversation, a voluntary conversation.

The judge will then determine if a reasonable person would have felt like they were free to end the conversation, say no to the pat down, etc. If, in the opinion of the judge, a reasonable person would have felt free to leave, then the evidence is admissible and the defendant’s appeal is denied.

Yes, people are in jail right now because they voluntarily allowed the police to discover the very evidence that convicted them! They could have said “no” and walked away but now they are in jail. OK, most if not all are deserving of their sentence, but they put themselves in jail and you don’t want to do that.

The determination of what a reasonable person would feel is somewhat arbitrary, but things like the lights on the top of the police car flashing, being surrounded, and other seemingly insignificant actions will make that clear to the judge. The police know what those things are. They will use that knowledge to their advantage.

Did you know that most of the people you see walking around with a folding knife clipped to their front pocket are breaking the law? There is no state preemption on knife blade length, so any city can limit you to a knife with a 3” blade or a 2" blade (for example only!) and anything longer is considered a concealed weapon. That is not covered by your CPL either. Most of the time the police ignore those knives, but if they want to they can confiscate the knife and send it to the city prosecutor to decide if they should press charges. If the police stop you and ask to see your knife, and you willingly hand it over to them, you can be charged. This is why I do not carry a folding knife when I’m OCing; I don’t want to give them RAS to detain me should they be able to make out the outline of my knife and easily see it has a 4’ blade. (or later claim they thought they saw it was 4")

So what’s a person to do? Does everyone need to know the legal intricacies of what constitutes a seizure, or what a reasonable person feels? Remember, the police know those things; they are trained and retrained on those things. They get additional training when a court reinterprets those intricacies. So use their knowledge to supplement your own knowledge. Ask the simple question; “Are you detaining me?” If that’s the first words out of your mouth at the very beginning of an encounter with the police (that’s not a traffic stop) then there can be no ambiguity later if the officer decides to arrest you. Will it go that far? Not likely. The very question triggers things in the officer’s brain because he knows the legal definition of a seizure and what he may or may not do during a stop.

There are three types on non-traffic police encounters about which you need to be knowledgeable:

1. The friendly chat.
2. Seizure (or detainment)
3. Arrest

The police can do the first one any time they want, for any reason under the sun. They don’t need your permission to stop and chat with you any more than anyone else does. They do, however, need your voluntary cooperation. This means that you don’t have to talk to them if you don’t want to. You don’t want to. There is nothing to be gained and much to lose by submitting to a police encounter that they initiated. (if you initiate the encounter it would be somewhat silly not to cooperate).

To do the second, seizure, they need reasonable articulable suspicion that there is a crime afoot and that you are involved. Read up on Terry Stops (google it) for more information. Keep in mind that WA considers your rights under Article 1 Section 7 to be more restrictive on the police (the government) than the US Constitution’s 4[suP]th[/suP] Amendment.

For the third, arrest, they need probable cause, which I won’t discuss for brevity.

So the long and short of it is this, always ask if the officer is seizing you. “Am I being detained?” If he says no, walk away. If you want to gamble that he can find something to arrest your for, go ahead and chat with him or her a while. Really, what do you have to lose except your freedom or your firearms rights?

If the officer says yes, that he is detaining you, immediately ask, “For suspicion of what crime are you detaining me?” Not only will you impress him or her with your proper grammar, but you’ll find out why he or she approached you. After all, you have no idea what was told to the dispatcher if someone reported a person with a gun. Did they just tell them that you were shopping, or did they tell them that you were pointing your gun at people? At any rate, if you are being detained ask for a supervisor and say nothing else. I’m not going to get into specific legal advice because I’m not qualified to do so.

Sometimes they ignore your question because they want to keep the ambiguity for later (at the evidentiary hearing) in case they need it. Ask again. Ask, “Am I free to leave?” Don’t knuckle under. If a reasonable person believes that they would not be free to leave, then you are seized. Inform the officer that you don’t feel like you are free to leave and inform him or her that you will not be answering any questions without the presence of an attorney. Seriously though, it’s highly unlikely it will ever get that far if all you’re doing is openly carrying a handgun in a holster. The police don’t like easy-to-lose lawsuits.

Now, knowing all this, do you see the mistake SpyderTatoo made here:

Right, he failed to ask the simple question and the police wasted a lot of his time. Had he simply asked, “Am I being detained?” the police would have said no and the encounter would be over. He chose to gamble with his freedom and his rights, and this time he won. Something as seemingly insignificant as a pocket knife or the tip of a plastic bag sticking out of his pocket could have been a losing play for him.

EDIT to add: Sooner or later one of us is going to be arrested while open carrying because they volunteered to have a discussion with the police. It may get thrown out by the prosecutor, it may get thrown out by the court, it may get thrown out on appeal, or they might get to spend a few years in the slam. Whatever happens it will cost them a lot of money and maybe their employment, all because they willingly cooperated with the police when they didn’t have to. So to anyone who believes it’s their duty to educate a police officer, go ahead, gamble. The judge will roll his eyes if you try to claim you were seized when you were not. Then he’ll pronounce sentence.

Ruby

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Ruby, here is the advice I offer to anyone who chooses to carry openly; know what your rights are. I know it sounds cliché (“I know my rights!”) but you need to know when and why the police can or cannot seize a citizen of Washington. Knowledge is power (yes, another cliché) and if you are approached by a police officer for any reason it is to your benefit to know what their limitations are. As Clint is famous for saying, “A man has to know his limitations”, well, we should also know their limitations too!

People are in jail right now because the police approached them and ended up discovering a crime. Whenever the state decides to press charges, there is an evidentiary hearing to determine what evidence the state may or may not use against you. It is at this hearing that the court will determine if the police overstepped their legal limits in obtaining that evidence.

I have read Appeals Court cases where the evidence would have been dismissed IF the officer had detained (seized) the defendant. The police officer walked up, started talking, asked to see ID, asked if he could pat the defendant down for his safety, and discovered weapons or drugs or contraband or whatever.

The person appealed their conviction based on the fact that the officer didn’t have cause to seize the person in the first place. This is where it gets tricky. The officer simply claims he had never seized the defendant, but was merely having a friendly conversation, a voluntary conversation.

The judge will then determine if a reasonable person would have felt like they were free to end the conversation, say no to the pat down, etc. If, in the opinion of the judge, a reasonable person would have felt free to leave, then the evidence is admissible and the defendant’s appeal is denied.

Yes, people are in jail right now because they voluntarily allowed the police to discover the very evidence that convicted them! They could have said “no” and walked away but now they are in jail. OK, most if not all are deserving of their sentence, but they put themselves in jail and you don’t want to do that.

The determination of what a reasonable person would feel is somewhat arbitrary, but things like the lights on the top of the police car flashing, being surrounded, and other seemingly insignificant actions will make that clear to the judge. The police know what those things are. They will use that knowledge to their advantage.

Did you know that most of the people you see walking around with a folding knife clipped to their front pocket are breaking the law? There is no state preemption on knife blade length, so any city can limit you to a knife with a 3” blade or a 2" blade (for example only!) and anything longer is considered a concealed weapon. That is not covered by your CPL either. Most of the time the police ignore those knives, but if they want to they can confiscate the knife and send it to the city prosecutor to decide if they should press charges. If the police stop you and ask to see your knife, and you willingly hand it over to them, you can be charged. This is why I do not carry a folding knife when I’m OCing; I don’t want to give them RAS to detain me should they be able to make out the outline of my knife and easily see it has a 4’ blade. (or later claim they thought they saw it was 4")

So what’s a person to do? Does everyone need to know the legal intricacies of what constitutes a seizure, or what a reasonable person feels? Remember, the police know those things; they are trained and retrained on those things. They get additional training when a court reinterprets those intricacies. So use their knowledge to supplement your own knowledge. Ask the simple question; “Are you detaining me?” If that’s the first words out of your mouth at the very beginning of an encounter with the police (that’s not a traffic stop) then there can be no ambiguity later if the officer decides to arrest you. Will it go that far? Not likely. The very question triggers things in the officer’s brain because he knows the legal definition of a seizure and what he may or may not do during a stop.

There are three types on non-traffic police encounters about which you need to be knowledgeable:

1. The friendly chat.
2. Seizure (or detainment)
3. Arrest

The police can do the first one any time they want, for any reason under the sun. They don’t need your permission to stop and chat with you any more than anyone else does. They do, however, need your voluntary cooperation. This means that you don’t have to talk to them if you don’t want to. You don’t want to. There is nothing to be gained and much to lose by submitting to a police encounter that they initiated. (if you initiate the encounter it would be somewhat silly not to cooperate).

To do the second, seizure, they need reasonable articulable suspicion that there is a crime afoot and that you are involved. Read up on Terry Stops (google it) for more information. Keep in mind that WA considers your rights under Article 1 Section 7 to be more restrictive on the police (the government) then the US Constitution’s 4[suP]th[/suP] Amendment.

For the third, arrest, they need probable cause, which I won’t discuss for brevity.

So the long and short of it is this, always ask if the officer is seizing you. “Am I being detained?” If he says no, walk away. If you want to gamble that he can find something to arrest your for, go ahead and chat with him or her a while. Really, what do you have to lose except your freedom or your firearms rights?

If the officer says yes, that he is detaining you, immediately ask, “For suspicion of what crime are you detaining me?” Not only will you impress him or her with your proper grammar, but you’ll find out why he or she approached you. After all, you have no idea what was told to the dispatcher if someone reported a person with a gun. Did they just tell them that you were shopping, or did they tell them that you were pointing your gun at people? At any rate, if you are being detained ask for a supervisor and say nothing else. I’m not going to get into specific legal advice because I’m not qualified to do so.

Sometimes they ignore your question because they want to keep the ambiguity for later (at the evidentiary hearing) in case they need it. Ask again. Ask, “Am I free to leave?” Don’t knuckle under. If a reasonable person believes that they would not be free to leave, then you are seized. Inform the officer that you don’t feel like you are free to leave and inform him or her that you will not be answering any questions with the presence of an attorney. Seriously though, it’s highly unlikely it will ever get that far if all you’re doing is openly carrying a handgun in a holster. The police don’t like easy-to-lose lawsuits.

Now, knowing all this, do you see the mistake SpyderTatoo made here:

Right, he failed to ask the simple question and the police wasted a lot of his time. Had he simply asked, “Am I being detained?” the police would have said no and the encounter would be over. He chose to gamble with his freedom and his rights, and this time he won. Something as seemingly insignificant as a pocket knife or the tip of a plastic bag sticking out of his pocket could have been a losing play for him.
Thank you soooooo much for this information. I and everyone else need to know these things. I believe that everyone is so programmed to go along with the police and whatever they want to do that people have forgotten or never knew that they have the right to say no. In Spydertattoo's case, had he covered his gun up, he would have committed a crime and fortunately he was aware of that. I need to read up on these things. I never knew that dealing with LEOs could be so complicated. For now, I will choose carefully where and when I OC. I have to protect my income as well. I am also aware that there are few women who OC so I know I will probably get some unwanted attention. That however, is not the reason for doing it, other than to demonstrate one of our Constitutional rights. I am not yet comfortabe with it, but I was not comfortable with CC either, in the beginning. Now I can't imagine not having my gun with me.

I am very surprised about the knife, because I carry a 4" folding knife as well. I guess I won't be doing that anymore. :uhoh:

So you should ask the LEO at the very beginning of a conversation if they are detaining you, I guess. Especially if it's about you OCing. Am I required to give them my name or address? I like the idea of leaving my ID in the car and it not being available to them.

Thank you again for this information, I will re-read it and keep these things in mind.

Mainsail

imported post

Ruby wrote:
For now, I will choose carefully where and when I OC. I have to protect my income as well.

Again, by asking the question you will short circuit all of the ambiguity. You don't need to feel nervous or frightened when you OC; you have the most important information already. Ask if you are being detained. That's it! In almost all of the cases, unless you did something stupid and illegal, the encounter will end there.

I am very surprised about the knife, because I carry a 4" folding knife as well. I guess I won't be doing that anymore. :uhoh:

I used that as an example! It's not advice. Someone here in the forum knows Seattle's knife laws, I do not (which is why I leave it at home or carry a small blade multi-tool).

Ruby

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Actually, I didn't include all the words spoken in this encounter because I didn't have time to type it all out. At first, I wanted this chance to educate these KPD officers because of my previous encounter with another officer. I knew that the KPD was a little behind the 8-ball. After explaining to them that I know what the law is about carrying identification and the CPL, I did ask them if I was being detained. They told me "No". That's when I said to them "Have a nice day.".

So if I sound a little defensive... I don't think I did anything wrong. I do have some experience open carrying. I have had encounters with police. A couple not-so-great, and many good ones. Actually, I'd like tothink my encounters with KPD had something to do with how KPD reacts to OC'ers now.

Ruby

imported post

SpyderTattoo wrote:
Actually, I didn't include all the words spoken in this encounter because I didn't have time to type it all out. At first, I wanted this chance to educate these KPD officers because of my previous encounter with another officer. I knew that the KPD was a little behind the 8-ball. After explaining to them that I know what the law is about carrying identification and the CPL, I did ask them if I was being detained. They told me "No". That's when I said to them "Have a nice day.".

So if I sound a little defensive... I don't think I did anything wrong. I do have some experience open carrying. I have had encounters with police. A couple not-so-great, and many good ones. Actually, I'd like tothink my encounters with KPD had something to do with how KPD reacts to OC'ers now.
Thanks, Spydertattoo. I am learning a lot from everyone and their experiences. I don't have experience OCing; I am very grateful to everyone who does have experience because you guys have "smoothed the way" for us newbies. If I have an encounter with a LEO, I need to know what my rights are and how to respond so I don't get myself in trouble. It doesn't sound to me like you did anything wrong and I'll bet those LEOs learned something about citizens' rights that day!

Mainsail

imported post

Ruby wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:

Thanks, Spydertattoo. I am learning a lot from everyone and their experiences. I don't have experience OCing; I am very grateful to everyone who does have experience because you guys have "smoothed the way" for us newbies. If I have an encounter with a LEO, I need to know what my rights are and how to respond so I don't get myself in trouble. It doesn't sound to me like you did anything wrong and I'll bet those LEOs learned something about citizens' rights that day!
I hope SpyderTatoo, and anyone else reading my painfully long diatribe, doesn't get the impression that I’m being critical of his actions. I’ve been there and done that on many occasions. In other words, I’ve boned up my share of police encounters.

My advice is not based on years of legal study but on a couple dozen police encounters. I’ve worn handcuffs on at least two occasions, and was even arrested (then promptly un-arrested) once for open carry. I’ve had police answer my question, “For suspicion of what crime are you detaining me?’ by answering “I’m detaining you because you have a gun”. Carrying a gun is not a crime, thus does not rise to anywhere near the level required for a Terry stop.

If I had known then what I know now, there may well be one Tacoma police officer working security at Best Buy instead of driving around in a police car.

I have also asked the question, “Are you detaining me?” and gotten the answer, “No, but…” and I walked away. It isn’t ballsy or bold, it is just the best practice.

So anyway, I’m not being critical of SpyderTatoo but sort of generalizing a number of encounters I’ve read about here in the forums, Washington and other states, and his was just convenient to this particular thread. My advise stands, talk to the police at your own risk. It’s easy enough to walk away.

Too often I think we want to engage the officer in a debate out of nothing more than pride. We think we can stump him with our knowledge of the RCWs. We think we can make him scratch his head and say, “Hey, you know, you’re right. I’m so sorry.” Trust me, it ain’t gonna happen. Not with your legal prowess and not with your pamphlets. It will not happen. So why try? Again, you have much to lose and nothing to gain.

Now look, I’ve gone and gotten all verbose and long-winded again.

Ruby

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Ruby wrote:
SpyderTattoo wrote:

I hope SpyderTatoo, and anyone else reading my painfully long diatribe, doesn't get the impression that I’m being critical of his actions. I’ve been there and done that on many occasions. In other words, I’ve boned up my share of police encounters.

My advice is not based on years of legal study but on a couple dozen police encounters. I’ve worn handcuffs on at least two occasions, and was even arrested (then promptly un-arrested) once for open carry. I’ve had police answer my question, “For suspicion of what crime are you detaining me?’ by answering “I’m detaining you because you have a gun”. Carrying a gun is not a crime, thus does not rise to anywhere near the level required for a Terry stop.

If I had known then what I know now, there may well be one Tacoma police officer working security at Best Buy instead of driving around in a police car.

I have also asked the question, “Are you detaining me?” and gotten the answer, “No, but…” and I walked away. It isn’t ballsy or bold, it is just the best practice.

So anyway, I’m not being critical of SpyderTatoo but sort of generalizing a number of encounters I’ve read about here in the forums, Washington and other states, and his was just convenient to this particular thread. My advise stands, talk to the police at your own risk. It’s easy enough to walk away.

Too often I think we want to engage the officer in a debate out of nothing more than pride. We think we can stump him with our knowledge of the RCWs. We think we can make him scratch his head and say, “Hey, you know, you’re right. I’m so sorry.” Trust me, it ain’t gonna happen. Not with your legal prowess and not with your pamphlets. It will not happen. So why try? Again, you have much to lose and nothing to gain.

Now look, I’ve gone and gotten all verbose and long-winded again.
Don't worry about being verbose or long winded. These are the kinds of things I need to know. I also know that not every encounter with LEOs will be positive. Life isn't like that. I would like to believe that most LEOs are the good guys and are not out to harasss gun toting citizens. I am also sure that there are a few that don't like seeing citizens armed; they think they are the only ones who should have guns. I have to look at both sides to get the complete picture. As for educating officers on points of law, I'll pass. They are supposed to know these things and would probably resent a "civilian" spouting law to them. I probably would also, in that position. Nor do I try to educate anyone anymore. Most of the time, people don't want it so why waste your time? If they learn on their own, they won't forget the lesson! I, on the other hand, am very happy to learn from the experiences of other people, positive and negative. But I no longer try to "educate" anyone unless they ask and are serious about it. And I never try to educate anyone concerning guns, I don't have enough experience with guns to do that. I think you guys are great to share your knowledge and experiences with me and spare me having to learn all of this on my own. THANKS!!!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I'd like to talk more about my incident at gun point, and the other illegal detainment, but might not be prudent to do so at the moment.

Tyguy808 were having coffee at Starbucks much later and one of the officers involved in the second incident of mine came in because someone had called the police on us came in said "Oh it's you" and walked right back out the other officer explained that they "now" know it's legal (which I beg to differ they already knew before my incident) but had to check it out because someone called.

The manager and several other patrons were laughing and actually made comments against the guy calling and not us openly carrying our weapons.

The way I look at it is the temporary hardships we might endure make it all that much easier for those who choose to follow in our path after. Mainsail has made Tacoma a much easier place for others who now open carry there. I often liken it to Rosa Parks or others who stood up for what is right even though at that moment it might not have been the easier route.