• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCer's experiences with LEO's while carrying openly

Ruby

imported post

Hi guys, this is Ruby. I don't know the protocol here yet, so if I should post this someplace else,please let me know. Being new to all of this, I am trying to learn what other people's experiences with OC have been, especially an encounter with a LEO, negative or positive. I would especially appreciate feedback from OCers in Washington State, since that is where I am, but if OC is legal in your state please feel free to comment. I would also like to know if anyone has had their gun confiscated by a LEO because they were carrying openly. I suspect that at some time I might be questioned by a LEO and want to know how to respond. Thanks!

Aaron1124

imported post

I've had nothing but great experiences with law enforcement. They've all been extremely polite, courteous and professional. I've primarily encountered Des Moines, Kent, Seatac and King County.

killchain

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
I've had nothing but great experiences with law enforcement. They've all been extremely polite, courteous and professional. I've primarily encountered Des Moines, Kent, Seatac and King County.
My main pain is gas station attendants.

Never had a problem with Law Enforcement though.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Richard and I had coffee a few times sitting right next to Whatcom and Skagit county sheriffs and even had conversations with them, us open carrying was no problem.

After an accident, State trooper asked if I had CPL, ( I obviously came from a vehicle and he was helping me on to a stretcher) than stated "Oh never mind you are open carrying".

There are severalof us who have had negative encounters, but I would be very surprised if thishappened to you, most the agencies are now very well aware of the law and educated on it. Still only open carry where you are comfortable untileverywhere is comfortable to you.

I would encourage not giving up rights, they must state RAS (reasonable articulable suspicion) you were engaged in a crime. Carrying a gun properly is not a crime. I carry sterile now no I.D. or CPL while not in my vehicle. And unless I am detained will continue on my merry way (did this not too long ago). To me other rights like the 4A are very important also.

Ruby

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Richard and I had coffee a few times sitting right next to Whatcom and Skagit county sheriffs and even had conversations with them, us open carrying was no problem.

After an accident, State trooper asked if I had CPL, ( I obviously came from a vehicle and he was helping me on to a stretcher) than stated "Oh never mind you are open carrying".

There are severalof us who have had negative encounters, but I would be very surprised if thishappened to you, most the agencies are now very well aware of the law and educated on it. Still only open carry where you are comfortable untileverywhere is comfortable to you.

I would encourage not giving up rights, they must state RAS (reasonable articulable suspicion) you were engaged in a crime. Carrying a gun properly is not a crime. I carry sterile now no I.D. or CPL while not in my vehicle. And unless I am detained will continue on my merry way (did this not too long ago). To me other rights like the 4A are very important also.
That brings up another question. What happens to your gun if you are involved in an accident that requires you go to the ER? What happened to your gun? I know that guns are not allowed in a hospital. I ask because I was in an accident in '06 where I ended up in the ER. I was not into guns at that time, so no problem, but today I would have a problem because I carry all the time, mostly concealed so far.

Also, I was wondering why you don't carry ID when you are out of your car. Thanks!

Ruby

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
Just wondering if you have had any experience with the Renton police and if so, how did that go? Thanks!

sudden valley gunner

imported post

With my gun ( I still have the sticker on it) it went to the local State Patrol office and the officer informed me in the ambulance to just come by and get it when I am out of the hospital.

Because my transportation was destroyed and I couldn't walk for awhile it took me a bit longer than expected, and the evidence officer had cleared out the lockers and took it to Marysville, by the time I made it down there. But the very next day he dropped it off to me at a parking lot in town so I wouldn't have to make another trip to their offices. I think they handled it all very well.

I don't carry I.D. for a variety of reasons. One is we are not a stop and I.D. state and we are not required to have I.D. Two it makes it a lot more difficult for the Law to ummmmm "encourage" you to cooperate when you are not breaking laws, you can honestly say to an officer who insists on seeing your "papers";)I don't have any on me. If they continue to harass you and cause more problems the burden is squarely on them. Assuming of course they don't have RAS.

Ruby

imported post

69Charger wrote:
No drivers license? SVG :shock:
He said while he was out of the vehicle. He probably leaves it in the car when he is not in the car. I assume he has his driver's license with him when he's driving.

Ruby

imported post

With my gun ( I still have the sticker on it) it went to the local State Patrol office and the officer informed me in the ambulance to just come by and get it when I am out of the hospital.

Because my transportation was destroyed and I couldn't walk for awhile it took me a bit longer than expected, and the evidence officer had cleared out the lockers and took it to Marysville, by the time I made it down there. But the very next day he dropped it off to me at a parking lot in town so I wouldn't have to make another trip to their offices. I think they handled it all very well.

I don't carry I.D. for a variety of reasons. One is we are not a stop and I.D. state and we are not required to have I.D. Two it makes it a lot more difficult for the Law to ummmmm "encourage" you to cooperate when you are not breaking laws, you can honestly say to an officer who insists on seeing your "papers";)I don't have any on me. If they continue to harass you and cause more problems the burden is squarely on them. Assuming of course they don't have RAS.
Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am getting the impression that most LEO's, if not in favor of open carry, are at least tolerant of it. I am still leary of doing it on my own. I have thought about OCing in my local Starbucks, but I am wondering what the reaction of Renton police would be if they walked in and saw my gun. That's why I am trying to learn from what other people's experiences have been. I appreciate everyone sharing with me and please continue to do so.

Aaron1124

imported post

Ruby wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
Just wondering if you have had any experience with the Renton police and if so, how did that go? Thanks!
Actually never. My profile says I live in Renton, when I live in Kent. I need to change it.

69Charger

imported post

I spoke to a Sheriffs dept officer about open carry and he was of the opinion that open carry was a tactical disadvantage and that he does not or will not carry openly. Off duty.
He also told me that it was a legal thing to do, go for it, just not his thing.
The last few words from him, as we got done talking about a get together at Dennys were, BRING LOTS OF AMMO. He laughed. :)
To each there own. :cool:

Edit
Last remarks deleted . Sorry Ruby. :(

Ruby

imported post

69Charger wrote:
I spoke to a Sheriffs dept officer about open carry and he was of the opinion that open carry was a tactical disadvantage and that he does not or will not carry openly. Off duty.
He also told me that it was a legal thing to do, go for it, just not his thing.
The last few words from him, as we got done talking about a get together at Dennys were, BRING LOTS OF AMMO. He laughed. :)
To each there own. :cool:
This one debate, too or not too, has been beat to death. :banghead:
Thanks for the info. I was not debating whether or not to OC. I was curious as to what people's experience has been with LEO's while carrying openly. Please see title of thread.

69Charger

imported post

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I was questioning open carry or this subject with you. That was not my intent. I will go back and delete the last part of my post.
Dave:)

Ruby

imported post

69Charger wrote:
I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I was questioning open carry or this subject with you. That was not my intent. I will go back and delete the last part of my post.
No problem, Dave. I would be interested in hearing what your experienceswith LEO's has been regarding open carry. Thanks.

Ruby

imported post

Ruby wrote:
69Charger wrote:
No problem, Dave. I would be interested in hearing what your experienceswith LEO's has been regarding open carry. Thanks.
I'm sorry, you already shared that. Thank you. Any other helpful advice regarding interacting with LEO's is also welcome from any of you. Let's enjoy this beautiful day!

amzbrady

imported post

OT, Some people dont know...You can take your M/C or Visa with you and not need your ID. Both card companies have specific rules stating that retailers can not mandate you show ID and can not refuse your purchase. There isa form on this site ( http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/Alert-FS15.htm) to report retailers that wont adhere to this.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ruby wrote:
Hi guys, this is Ruby. I don't know the protocol here yet, so if I should post this someplace else,please let me know. Being new to all of this, I am trying to learn what other people's experiences with OC have been, especially an encounter with a LEO, negative or positive. I would especially appreciate feedback from OCers in Washington State, since that is where I am, but if OC is legal in your state please feel free to comment. I would also like to know if anyone has had their gun confiscated by a LEO because they were carrying openly. I suspect that at some time I might be questioned by a LEO and want to know how to respond. Thanks!

All interactions that I have had with local LEO have been postive, usually just casual conversation. I have always been prepared for more, but it has never materialized. This includes downtown Seattle police, the Washington Capitol (Washington State Patrol) and Federal Way police. I also have a couple of friends who are Sheriff's deputies and they will not hassle you either.

I do carry an audio recorder just in case, but as to now (7 months) I have never had a problem.