• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OCer questions for Inland Empire area

airborne96delta

imported post

I'm new to the OC movement and am looking for information on how I can get involved in local meetups in my area. I saw an article about some OCers at Market Night in Redlands and would like to get involved in the next event and/or other events in the area.

Also, I live in the San Bernardino mountains and am unsure on how the new law regarding carrying in national parks applies to me. Does a national forest qualify as a national park? If so, can Icarry within the limits of the city that resides within the national forest? How should I travel to San Bernardino from my town, do I need a lockbox, or can I still holster within my truck?

I was considering heading to the CHP office that is down the street to ask their opinion. Can anyone see any reason why that would be inadvisable? Thanks for the help.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

airborne96delta wrote:
I'm new to the OC movement and am looking for information on how I can get involved in local meetups in my area. I saw an article about some OCers at Market Night in Redlands and would like to get involved in the next event and/or other events in the area.

Also, I live in the San Bernardino mountains and am unsure on how the new law regarding carrying in national parks applies to me. Does a national forest qualify as a national park? If so, can Icarry within the limits of the city that resides within the national forest? How should I travel to San Bernardino from my town, do I need a lockbox, or can I still holster within my truck?

I was considering heading to the CHP office that is down the street to ask their opinion. Can anyone see any reason why that would be inadvisable? Thanks for the help.

Going to the CHP or any law enforcement agency for advice or opinons on the law is inadvisable. If you want to discuss the legality of the practice, please invest in the services of an attorney. The problem with talking to the police about the law is that they often administrate the law using their world view and preferences. Many law enforcement officials are of the opinion that anyone with a weapon is a threat and they will discourage the practice of open carry using threats, coersion, lies, and their authority.

Up until recently, weapons were prohibited in National Parks. National Forests were not under such a prohibition. Regardless of where you intend to carry, you will need a locking, fully enclosed secure container to put your firearm in to utilize the exemptions in 626.9, 12025, and 12031.

As for looking for a meetup. I would recommend teaming up with an open carry veteran in your area to become acclimated. Once educated, you and your family are your own self-defense party- able to open carry spontaneously without worrying about aligning other people's schedules or decide where you will eat or drink coffee. In fact, every day could be open carry day, without regard to what day it is...

desertfox

imported post

For my own clarification....if I have a locking container that I can put my gun in, and I with with my family and I am passing through a school zone, can I lock my gun up, put it in my backpack and once passed of the school zone re-holster?

For that matter, can I carry my gun legally on my person when I'm with my family in a locked container in my backpack? Not while driving, out shopping or etc....unfortunately there are a lot of schools around where I live, however I would like to take my gun with me.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

John Mark

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

desertfox wrote:
For my own clarification....if I have a locking container that I can put my gun in, and I with with my family and I am passing through a school zone, can I lock my gun up, put it in my backpack and once passed of the school zone re-holster?

For that matter, can I carry my gun legally on my person when I'm with my family in a locked container in my backpack? Not while driving, out shopping or etc....unfortunately there are a lot of schools around where I live, however I would like to take my gun with me.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

John Mark

Question 1:

PC 626.9

(a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.

(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, as defined in paragraph (1) of subdivision (e), unless it is with the written permission of the school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority, shall be punished as specified in subdivision (f).

(c) Subdivision (b) does not apply to the possession of a firearm under any of the following circumstances:

(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.

This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in accordance with state law.
Question 2:

PC 12025

(a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when he or she does any of the following:

(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(2) Carries concealed upon his or her person any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(3) Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he or she is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

PC 12026.1

(a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the following applies to the firearm:

(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment.

(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm, the firearm is contained within a locked container.

(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in accordance with this chapter.

(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device.

knucklehead

imported post

I live in Riverside and there are school pretty much every where. So there is a need to LUCC for the most part. I'm clear on carrying within a motor vehicle. But I'm still fuzzy on carrying onmy person while outside my vehicle. Here are two exmaples. Locked case inside backpack. Or Locked pouch type fanny pack.

What makes me uncertain is this section from the penal code.

PC 12026.1
(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm, the firearm is contained within a locked container.

What is a lawful purpose? Me walking around downtown taking photographs or grabbing a cup or coffee? Or taking my firearm to a gun range, or gunsmith?

If I'm grabbing lunch, doing some shopping, checking out the farmers market I'm technically not going directly to my vehicle.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

knucklehead wrote:
I live in Riverside and there are school pretty much every where. So there is a need to LUCC for the most part. I'm clear on carrying within a motor vehicle. But I'm still fuzzy on carrying onmy person while outside my vehicle. Here are two exmaples. Locked case inside backpack. Or Locked pouch type fanny pack.

PC 12026.1

What is a lawful purpose? Me walking around downtown taking photographs or grabbing a cup or coffee? Or taking my firearm to a gun range, or gunsmith?

If I'm grabbing lunch, doing some shopping, checking out the farmers market I'm technically not going directly to my vehicle.
IMHO, "any lawful purpose" means anything that is not an unlawful purpose. It is very vague. However, SCOTUS has identified one lawful purpose that I would use 100% of the time.

District of Columbia v. Heller - SCOTUS Decision

"[T]he inherent right of self-defense has been central to the Second Amendment right. The handgun ban amounts to a prohibition of an entire class of "arms" that is overwhelmingly chosen by American society for that lawful purpose."

"We must also address the District’s requirement (as applied to respondent’s handgun) that firearms in the home be rendered and kept inoperable at all times. This makes it impossible for citizens to use them for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is hence unconstitutional."

mjones

imported post

knucklehead wrote:
To or from a vehicle and you're good.

Gundude

imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
knucklehead wrote:

PC 12026.1

IMHO, "any lawful purpose" means anything that is not an unlawful purpose. It is very vague. However, SCOTUS has identified one lawful purpose that I would use 100% of the time.

District of Columbia v. Heller - SCOTUS Decision

"[T]he inherent right of self-defense has been central to the Second Amendment right. The handgun ban amounts to a prohibition of an entire class of "arms" that is overwhelmingly chosen by American society for that lawful purpose."

"We must also address the District’s requirement (as applied to respondent’s handgun) that firearms in the home be rendered and kept inoperable at all times. This makes it impossible for citizens to use them for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is hence unconstitutional."

This shows the uselessness of even writing a law like this. At some point, you will be neither going from or to your vehicle. Like stopping to drink a cup of coffee or fondle a tomato. Both arelawful purposes.Must we keep moving at all times?

I think I am suffering from impotent rage at our lawmakers.

knucklehead

imported post

I guess when walking to my local corner marketI hop in one side of the car, out the other sideand proceed to the store. Reverse the procedure when I get home! haha!