• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Us guys & gals that carry 1911's.

daddy4count

imported post

It can depend on the make and model moreso than the design.

A Colt 1911 might feed certain rounds while a Para 1911 may not or vice versa...

If you experience stove-piping or jamming with a particular brand or type of ammo, try something else.

My old Para did not like shooting anything made by Federal... so I switched to Corbon (this was years ago). My current XD loves eating Hornady +P rounds.

Really the only brand of ammo that I have never once had a problem with... not a single jam or misfire in all the hundreds of rounds fired in .40, .357 and .45 ACP is the Winchester Silver tips.

They feed like a dream and are not terribly expensive.

Plus if you ever run into a warewolf you will be prepared...

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
I use 230gr JHP +P Federal HSTs in all of my .45s. Don't know of a better round for both penetration and expansion--even through heavy denim or leather.
+1 HST is the best.

mobeewan

imported post

I have acustom built Mk IV series 80 Colt and a Custom built STI 2011Compact (basically a VIP, but has a steel upper frame vs aluminumand a stainless slide). Both were built by a friend who is a master class shooter.

The Colt has had the barrel throated,feedramp polished and the ejection port lowered and flared. It will shoot everything I have ever put through it including Glaser Safety Slugs,Black Tallons, Eldarado Starfires, Hydra Shocks, 180 gr SWC, 165 gr SWC, JHP, Remington snake shot and CCI snake shot. I caneven hand cycle empty cases through it.

The STI has a ramped and fully supported barrel and the ejection port lowered and flared. It will shoot everything listed above except for the CCI snake shot which will hang up on the feed ramp.

celticredneck

imported post

elixin77 wrote:
I have a Taurus PT1911, and from my experience with it, it doesn't like to feed JHP rounds through it. When I hand cycle, there is a lot more resistance then if I were hand cycling FMJ rounds. The bullet would catch where the barrel and the ramp meet, and there wasn't/isn't anything I can do about it. Keep in mind, I have not shot JHP rounds from my gun, so I can just be flat out wrong, and the Taurus would take JHP rounds just fine.

I know they make some magazines that provide a higher angle that the bullets sit at, but those are a bit pricey.

So far,(500+ rounds) my PT 1911 has digested anything I fed it. I did have one recurring problem early on, where it would fire, load the next round and the trigger would lock. That was corrected by replacing the Taurus hammer (safety locking screw) with a Wilson combat hammer and sear set. No problems since then.

tnhawk

imported post

I've used Golden Saber 185 gr in each of the 1911s I carry. The only ammo I've had a problem with was some round nose lead.