• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

took the ccw class and turned in my app.

colo sam

imported post

Finally everything done for my ccw. Now its just the wait till I get my card. It should relax me more open carry and will be able to cover it up when needed

CRCowboy

imported post

colo sam wrote:
Finally everything done for my ccw. Now its just the wait till I get my card. It should relax me more open carry and will be able to cover it up when needed

I just took mine Thurs. the 13th. Have to wait till Tuesday to turn it in at Douglas County. I spend so much time running through Denver these days, it became a must have.

I understand we will probably have to wait the full 90 days for them to arrive. Haven't had any problems with OC anywhere and I OC everywhere outside of Denver City / County. Been asked once "If that was legal" when in a gas station. When I said "sure it was" and explained the law, she looked at me and said "Very Cool" She wasn't nervous, just inquiring.

Cary On!!!

cscitney87

imported post

Congrats. My thread has a few stories on the class. Did you experience anything funny in your class? Any mock of OC? Things like that..

I'm 60 days in and it's a torment. Somewhere, in the back of my mind, I keep thinking.. Okay 60 days.. I'll get called any day now..

Naw... lol I've got until the middle of June.

I've been biding my time; saving, for a new CCWeapon. XD Subcompact is looking attractive with a respectable price point at Green Mountain Guns.

zach

imported post

Congrats gentlemen.

CRCowboy, mine was 70-80 days for Douglas Cnty to get back to me to come pick it up.

I do have a gripe about the DC permit. The thing is huge! It won't fit in my money clip. The laminate was about 1/2 inch wider than the card. It's like carrying a 3x5 card around in your pocket.

Anyone from other counties have similar size permits?

CRCowboy

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Congrats. My thread has a few stories on the class. Did you experience anything funny in your class? Any mock of OC? Things like that..

The instructors didn't mock or put down OCers. "THEY" just didn't recommend it, "even though it is perfectly legal many parts of the State" But then again they sell CCW classes.

I'll tell ya what was a little scary ----- Some of the people in the class. ----I spoke to quite a few on break and the guy next to me, DIDN'T KNOW BULLETS FROM BUTT HOLES. I am not criticizing them but, I left the class thinking, just because everyone HAS the right to own, posses, carry a gun, DOESN'T MEAN THEY SHOULD.

If you want to put the power of life or death in your hand, you need to have the knowledge or get the training on how the dam thing works. I just hope that 50% of the people in that class, get training before they strap on a weapon.

:what:

cscitney87

imported post

CRCowboy... I have a story for You..

Range time after in-class time... so all 30 of us students head to The Silver Bullet to do our range test..

Well we get inside the door and the instructor tells everyone to load their pistols and get in line to qualify..

Lady loads her pistol and lays it down in her purse... carries her purse through the line with the muzzle of her loaded pistol sweeping everyone's knees.

What's rule number 1 of firearms safety? Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

colo sam

imported post

No funny stories from class. It was very interesting and covered alot. We did have a few females in our class with was cool. I now just have to wait the days till I get the phone call. Till than keep up with theopen carry. Adams county may take the full 90 days.

mahkagari

imported post

CRCowboy wrote:
I'll tell ya what was a little scary ----- Some of the people in the class. ----I spoke to quite a few on break and the guy next to me, DIDN'T KNOW BULLETS FROM BUTT HOLES. I am not criticizing them but, I left the class thinking, just because everyone HAS the right to own, posses, carry a gun, DOESN'T MEAN THEY SHOULD.
It's things like that that make me wrestle with policy on requiring some sort of training to OC, CC or even possess. "Back in the day" people had at least a cursory knowledge of firearms. I'm increasingly shocked by how many people I talk to have never even seen a firearm in real life and believe everything they've seen in the movies.

Gunslinger

imported post

My class was experienced shooters, so we had a lot of interesting discussions. Plus, a couple of lawyers. It is basically a waste of time for experienced handgunners, but is directed at the lowest level of skill/knowledge. In VA, my DD-214 was all I needed to waive the class; in NH, no class needed. All in all, it was of interest because of the composition. Took three weeks to the day to get my CCW--this back in 2007 when my NH was no longer honored--no recip with VA, because they stopped accepting non-res permits.

CRCowboy

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
It's things like that that make me wrestle with policy on requiring some sort of training to OC, CC or even possess. "Back in the day" people had at least a cursory knowledge of firearms. I'm increasingly shocked by how many people I talk to have never even seen a firearm in real life and believe everything they've seen in the movies.
I'm not going forthe possess part -- I just can't go that far and not worry about my 2A rights all together.I wouldn't mind an open carry lic. that gave us the freedom of movement a concealed dose. I LIKE the deterrent factor of OC. Plus it's so much more comfortable on my belt, rather than shoved in my pants, even with a good holster.

Freightdog

imported post

I heard all manner of horror stories about Arapahoe County, vis a vis CCW permits, but it was actually a pretty good experience. Everyone I talked to at the Sheriff's office was friendly and professional; in and out in 15 minutes, got the permit in something like 5 weeks.

And yes, the instructor who did my course strongly discouraged OC.

cscitney87

imported post

Freightdog wrote:
I heard all manner of horror stories about Arapahoe County, vis a vis CCW permits, but it was actually a pretty good experience. Everyone I talked to at the Sheriff's office was friendly and professional; in and out in 15 minutes, got the permit in something like 5 weeks.

And yes, the instructor who did my course strongly discouraged OC.
5 Weeks that's nuts. I bet you were psyched!