Thread: 11th Con. District Republican Debate

Post imported post

I guess this could have been posted weeks ago, but Pat Herrity and Keith Fimian are supposed to have a debate today at 3:00pm.

Date: Saturday, May 15, 2010
    Start Time: 3:00 pm End Time: 5:00 pm

Category: Public Calendar

Event Description

The Prince William County TEA Party is hosting a Primary Election Debate in preparation for the June 8 primary, when voters in Prince William County will cast votes for the Republican Candidate for the November General Election.

Participating Candidates: Keith Fimian and Pat Herrity

When: May 15,2010

Where: Canterbury Woods Center
    12184 Chaucer Lane, Lake Ridge, VA 22192

Time: 3:00 pm - 5:00pm

Moderator: TBA

Sponsor: Prince William County TEA Party Patriots

Primary: To be held June 8, 2010 to select the Republican Party’s Nominee

Email: events@pwcvateaparty.com

Location Details

Canterbury Woods Center
    12184 Chaucer Lane
    Lake Ridge VA 22192

At the last VCDL meeting, I believe that Jim Snyder said that Fimian did not respond to the VCDL candidate survey. I am unsure if this debate will allow for open questioning, but, if it does, this would be a good time to ask him how he feels about our right to keep and bear arms. I plan to be there, and I hope a few others will also be able to make it.

Post imported post

Report:

All questionsin this debatecame from a moderator;however, there was one question that asked the candidates if they would support any "infringements" on 2nd Amendment rights.

Fimian's answer impressed me the least, and I regret that my voice recorder wasunable to pick it up, so that I could share his exact words. In typical political fashion, he did not simply answer the question with a simple"yes" or "no." He paused for a moment, and then he stated the obvious, that felons shouldn't be able to have guns. He followed thatup by saying somethingalong the lines of"the 2nd Amendment is part of our Constitution and should be respected." At best, I felt that he came across as not really caring at all about guns or 2A issues. I may have read it all wrong, but that's the feeling I got.

Herrity's answer, though not particularly powerful or exuberant, seemed to be much more sincere. He clearly stated that he believedthat "we have a 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms," and hepointed to his record of opposing anti-gun measures proposed by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors.

Both candidates' websites read about the same on the issue. They each have about two lines that state they support the 2nd Amendment, but they offerno information on where they might stand on particular bills, such asthe proposedban on theprivate sale and transfer of firearms.

On an OC related note, I was very briefly questioned by a Prince William County Sheriff's Deputy, who was (I assume) there on duty. I passed himoutside the building, and heentered in a few minutes after I did. He came my way, stated that "he noticed my firearm," and he asked if I was in law enforcement. I replied "No, Sir." To which he responded with "So, you just like having it with you?" I acknowledged that I do prefer to carry at all times, and he thenconcluded the conversation bystating that "you can't be too careful these days."

I think thatthis was the first OC encounter I have ever had with a LEO, and I'm very glad to say,itwent just as it should have gone.

Post imported post

VApatriot wrote:
    On an OC related note, I was very briefly questioned by a Prince William County Sheriff's Deputy, who was (I assume) there on duty. I passed himoutside the building, and heentered in a few minutes after I did. He came my way, stated that "he noticed my firearm," and he asked if I was in law enforcement. I replied "No, Sir." To which he responded with "So, you just like having it with you?" I acknowledged that I do prefer to carry at all times, and he thenconcluded the conversation bystating that "you can't be too careful these days."

I think thatthis was the first OC encounter I have ever had with a LEO, and I'm very glad to say,itwent just as it should have gone.
    I've only had one as well that also went okay. Outside of him asking me if I was "one of them open carriers".....

Post imported post

VApatriot wrote:
    The best LEO encounters are the ones you DON'T have.

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Wish I had known about this yesterday.

As near as I can tell, there is no difference between the two, and their mailings make both of them come off like middle-school rivals.

If it weren't for the fact one of them can run against Connolly, I'd stay home on the 8th.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

VApatriot wrote:
    he thenconcluded the conversation bystating that "you can't be too careful these days."

absolutely. Pretty much all the LEOs that I've actually had conversations with while OCing have been positive just like that...they understand and support carry.