• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

11th Con. District Republican Debate

VApatriot

imported post

I guess this could have been posted weeks ago, but Pat Herrity and Keith Fimian are supposed to have a debate today at 3:00pm.

Date: Saturday, May 15, 2010
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Start Time: 3:00 pm [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]End Time: 5:00 pm

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Location: Canterbury Woods Center

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Category: Public Calendar

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Event Description

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
The Prince William County TEA Party is hosting a Primary Election Debate in preparation for the June 8 primary, when voters in Prince William County will cast votes for the Republican Candidate for the November General Election.

Participating Candidates: Keith Fimian and Pat Herrity

When: May 15,2010

Where: Canterbury Woods Center
12184 Chaucer Lane, Lake Ridge, VA 22192

Time: 3:00 pm - 5:00pm

Moderator: TBA

Sponsor: Prince William County TEA Party Patriots

Primary: To be held June 8, 2010 to select the Republican Party’s Nominee

Email: events@pwcvateaparty.com

Location Details

Canterbury Woods Center
12184 Chaucer Lane
Lake Ridge VA 22192

At the last VCDL meeting, I believe that Jim Snyder said that Fimian did not respond to the VCDL candidate survey. I am unsure if this debate will allow for open questioning, but, if it does, this would be a good time to ask him how he feels about our right to keep and bear arms. I plan to be there, and I hope a few others will also be able to make it.

[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

VApatriot

imported post

Report:

All questionsin this debatecame from a moderator;however, there was one question that asked the candidates if they would support any "infringements" on 2nd Amendment rights.

Fimian's answer impressed me the least, and I regret that my voice recorder wasunable to pick it up, so that I could share his exact words. In typical political fashion, he did not simply answer the question with a simple"yes" or "no." He paused for a moment, and then he stated the obvious, that felons shouldn't be able to have guns. He followed thatup by saying somethingalong the lines of"the 2nd Amendment is part of our Constitution and should be respected." At best, I felt that he came across as not really caring at all about guns or 2A issues. I may have read it all wrong, but that's the feeling I got.

Herrity's answer, though not particularly powerful or exuberant, seemed to be much more sincere. He clearly stated that he believedthat "we have a 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms," and hepointed to his record of opposing anti-gun measures proposed by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors.

Both candidates' websites read about the same on the issue. They each have about two lines that state they support the 2nd Amendment, but they offerno information on where they might stand on particular bills, such asthe proposedban on theprivate sale and transfer of firearms.

On an OC related note, I was very briefly questioned by a Prince William County Sheriff's Deputy, who was (I assume) there on duty. I passed himoutside the building, and heentered in a few minutes after I did. He came my way, stated that "he noticed my firearm," and he asked if I was in law enforcement. I replied "No, Sir." To which he responded with "So, you just like having it with you?" I acknowledged that I do prefer to carry at all times, and he thenconcluded the conversation bystating that "you can't be too careful these days."

I think thatthis was the first OC encounter I have ever had with a LEO, and I'm very glad to say,itwent just as it should have gone.

richarcm

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
On an OC related note, I was very briefly questioned by a Prince William County Sheriff's Deputy, who was (I assume) there on duty. I passed himoutside the building, and heentered in a few minutes after I did. He came my way, stated that "he noticed my firearm," and he asked if I was in law enforcement. I replied "No, Sir." To which he responded with "So, you just like having it with you?" I acknowledged that I do prefer to carry at all times, and he thenconcluded the conversation bystating that "you can't be too careful these days."

I think thatthis was the first OC encounter I have ever had with a LEO, and I'm very glad to say,itwent just as it should have gone.
I've only had one as well that also went okay. Outside of him asking me if I was "one of them open carriers".....

wylde007

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
The best LEO encounters are the ones you DON'T have.

:D

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wish I had known about this yesterday.

As near as I can tell, there is no difference between the two, and their mailings make both of them come off like middle-school rivals.

If it weren't for the fact one of them can run against Connolly, I'd stay home on the 8th.

nova

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
he thenconcluded the conversation bystating that "you can't be too careful these days."

absolutely. Pretty much all the LEOs that I've actually had conversations with while OCing have been positive just like that...they understand and support carry.