• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC a rifle?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ixtow wrote:
Being a 'law abiding citizen' is nothing to crow about. The Law is no longer a noble or even marginally decent thing.

You sound kind of absolutist, ix.

Do you follow any laws?Some? A few?

mrh2008

imported post

HankT wrote:
ixtow wrote:
Being a 'law abiding citizen' is nothing to crow about. The Law is no longer a noble or even marginally decent thing.

I gotta say i agree with ixtow on this. Once upon a time, it was "honorable" to call yourself a "law abiding citizen", nowadays its more like "ehh, he fallows the rules... whatever". I don't agree with many, many laws. However, every law that i am aware of is a law that i try to abide by... not a little bit, not sometimes, all the time. Not because it makes me look good or because i agree with the law, i do it because it IS the law. Just because something is law, doesn't make it noble or decent. just my $0.02

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mrh2008 wrote:
HankT wrote:
ixtow wrote:

I gotta say i agree with ixtow on this. Once upon a time, it was "honorable" to call yourself a "law abiding citizen", nowadays its more like "ehh, he fallows the rules... whatever". I don't agree with many, many laws. However, every law that i am aware of is a law that i try to abide by... not a little bit, not sometimes, all the time. Not because it makes me look good or because i agree with the law, i do it because it IS the law. Just because something is law, doesn't make it noble or decent. just my $0.02

You don't sound absolutist at all mrh. Nowhere near ix, anyway.

Are there any laws you do not follow because you disagree with them?

mrh2008

imported post

HankT wrote:
You don't sound absolutist at all mrh. Nowhere near ix, anyway.

Are there any laws you do not follow because you disagree with them?
I admit, i have and do break some laws on occasion... i'd say nearly 100% of them are traffic laws, about five min ago i parked in a fire lane by a dumpsterin my apartment complex to clean the trash out of my car, and sometimes i catch myself over the speed limit or make wide right/left turns, I also have my high school graduation tassel hanging from my rear view mirror.so the answer to your question is "yes, there are laws that i do not fallow 100% of the time because i dont agree with them in all instances." :uhoh:are there laws that you do not fallow? Everyone breaks the laws sometimes, after all that is what they are made for. The govt WANTS us to break laws, they want our money.

brokenbarrel

imported post

Simply put ignorance of the law is no excuse,if you dont have a drivers license and run a red light now your in trouble for no license and runnning the red light.If you go to court and say your honor I didnt know the law he dosent say oh ok,if thats the case your dismissed...

Now im sorry i expressed my frustration on this thread,like it or not if a law is broken it'll get ya in trouble,mystatement had to do with people who brake laws that affect me..:exclaim:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
ixtow wrote:

I'd say I am aligned with a lot of laws, but in their absence, I would still be aligned with the principles.

I don't need laws to keep me decent. I'm a civilized person.

But when the law becomes uncivilized, I stay aligned to the principles it elects to defy.

Now, re-read what I said quoted above in a non-presumptive context.

I didn't say that the law is wholly dis-honorable and should always be disobeyed.

Since the law has disqualified itself as a moral concept, it cannot be used as a moral qualifier.

To say "I'm a good person because I obey the law" is no different from saying "I am the Tooth Fairy because sausages."

Common-sense, basic decency, just plain not being a jackass... When the law fails to follow these basic concepts, it is the law that is wrong, not the citizen. continuing to obey it even when you know it is wrong, makes you a coward and a supporter of the same wrongdoing.