• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man charged in stray bullet killing of woman, 69

autosurgeon

imported post

Frank Bernz wrote:
choover wrote:
I think the shooter will also be charged, you cannot shoot at someone who is fleeing. Only police can shoot at a fleeing felon, once he fled he was no longer a threat.
Just because the guy is turned away does not mean the threat has disappered. The crook could turn and attack at any time. So the victum is still in fear for his life.
Good point!

choover

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Frank Bernz wrote:
choover wrote:
I think the shooter will also be charged, you cannot shoot at someone who is fleeing. Only police can shoot at a fleeing felon, once he fled he was no longer a threat.
Just because the guy is turned away does not mean the threat has disappered. The crook could turn and attack at any time. So the victum is still in fear for his life.
Good point!
And at that point he would have been justified. the report says he exited the car, dropped the gun, and ran. A unarmed man running away from you is not a threat when you are holding a gun aimed at a grandmother...err I mean criminal

Frank Bernz

Banned
imported post

choover wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Frank Bernz wrote:
choover wrote:
Good point!
And at that point he would have been justified. the report says he exited the car, dropped the gun, and ran. A unarmed man running away from you is not a threat when you are holding a gun aimed at a grandmother...err I mean criminal
Your version doesn't seem to match the report. Making stuff up as you go along?

"Man charged in stray bullet killing of woman, 69

DETROIT — A 19-year-old who police said robbed another man with a fake handgun and was shot at while fleeing was charged Saturday with murder in the death of a 69-year-old Detroit grandmother killed by the gunfire. (function(){ GEL.thepage.initializer.addInitRoutine({ name: "YahooBuzz", namespace: "remoting", callback: loadcontent, priority: 100 }); GEL.thepage.initializer.addInitRoutine({ name: "sharelinks", namespace: "widget.ArticleTools", callback: initShareThis, priority: 91 }); GEL.thepage.initializer.addInitRoutine({ name: "fontsize", namespace: "widget.ArticleTools", callback: initFontSize, priority: 99 }); function initShareThis(){ var _w= GEL.thepage.shareThis= new GEL.widget.ShareThis("sharelinks"); _w.init(); } function initFontSize(){ var _w= GEL.thepage.fontSize= new GEL.widget.FontSizeWidget("sharelinks"); _w.init(); } function loadcontent(){ var _jscntr= GEL.ement("YahooBuzz"), _u= "http://d.yimg.com/ds/badge2.js"; window.yahooBuzzBadgeType= 'text'; _jscntr.setContentUrl(_u); _jscntr.updateRemoteContent(); return; } })(); Antwan Hall of Detroit was charged with felony murder in the Wednesday afternoon death of Geraldine Jackson, the Wayne County prosecutor’s office said. If convicted, he faces life in prison without parole.
“She was ... an unintended victim who was tragically killed as a result of a course of conduct the defendant set in motion,” Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement.
Prosecutors didn’t know whether Hall had a lawyer. He was scheduled to be arraigned Sunday in 36th District Court.
Jackson died after a bullet went through the wall of her northwest side home and struck her in the chest. The shot was fired by a 65-year-old who told them he was aiming for a man who robbed him and stole his vehicle, police said.
The prosecutor’s office said no decision had been made Saturday on whether to charge the older man.
According to prosecutors, Hall approached the older man about 1:45 p.m. and, after a brief conversation, pulled out what looked like a handgun and ordered the man into the basement of a house.
The gun turned out to be fake, investigators said.
Hall took the man’s wallet, keys and cell phone and fled in the man’s sport utility vehicle, prosecutors said. He crashed into a tree and jumped out of the SUV after the man fired at the vehicle.
The older man fired again at Hall and missed, but a bullet went into Jackson’s home and struck her, prosecutors said. Jackson was taken to a local hospital, where she died.
Jackson was the second person in Detroit in four days slain by gunfire intended for someone else. Avondre Donel, 15, was on a friend’s porch May 9 in northwest Detroit when he was killed in a drive-by shooting.
That shooting remains under investigation by police."

choover

imported post

Frank Bernz wrote:
choover wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Frank Bernz wrote:
choover wrote:
Good point!

DETROIT — A 19-year-old who police said robbed another man with a fake handgun and was shot at while fleeing was charged Saturday with murder in the death of a 69-year-old Detroit grandmother killed by the gunfire. (function(){ GEL.thepage.initializer.addInitRoutine({ name: "YahooBuzz", namespace: "remoting", callback: loadcontent, priority: 100 }); GEL.thepage.initializer.addInitRoutine({ name: "sharelinks", namespace: "widget.ArticleTools", callback: initShareThis, priority: 91 }); GEL.thepage.initializer.addInitRoutine({ name: "fontsize", namespace: "widget.ArticleTools", callback: initFontSize, priority: 99 }); function initShareThis(){ var _w= GEL.thepage.shareThis= new GEL.widget.ShareThis("sharelinks"); _w.init(); } function initFontSize(){ var _w= GEL.thepage.fontSize= new GEL.widget.FontSizeWidget("sharelinks"); _w.init(); } function loadcontent(){ var _jscntr= GEL.ement("YahooBuzz"), _u= "http://d.yimg.com/ds/badge2.js"; window.yahooBuzzBadgeType= 'text'; _jscntr.setContentUrl(_u); _jscntr.updateRemoteContent(); return; } })(); Antwan Hall of Detroit was charged with felony murder in the Wednesday afternoon death of Geraldine Jackson, the Wayne County prosecutor’s office said. If convicted, he faces life in prison without parole.
“She was ... an unintended victim who was tragically killed as a result of a course of conduct the defendant set in motion,” Prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement.
Prosecutors didn’t know whether Hall had a lawyer. He was scheduled to be arraigned Sunday in 36th District Court.
Jackson died after a bullet went through the wall of her northwest side home and struck her in the chest. The shot was fired by a 65-year-old who told them he was aiming for a man who robbed him and stole his vehicle, police said.
The prosecutor’s office said no decision had been made Saturday on whether to charge the older man.
According to prosecutors, Hall approached the older man about 1:45 p.m. and, after a brief conversation, pulled out what looked like a handgun and ordered the man into the basement of a house.
Hall took the man’s wallet, keys and cell phone and fled in the man’s sport utility vehicle, prosecutors said. He crashed into a tree and jumped out of the SUV after the man fired at the vehicle.
The older man fired again at Hall and missed, but a bullet went into Jackson’s home and struck her, prosecutors said. Jackson was taken to a local hospital, where she died.
Jackson was the second person in Detroit in four days slain by gunfire intended for someone else. Avondre Donel, 15, was on a friend’s porch May 9 in northwest Detroit when he was killed in a drive-by shooting.
No, it would seem you just lack the ability to read. Go back to page one, I had posted a link backing up what I said about him dropping the gun and running.

and it is not over, the shooter may still be charged.

Frank Bernz

Banned
imported post

choover wrote:
Frank Bernz wrote:
choover wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Frank Bernz wrote:
choover wrote:
Good point!

No, it would seem you just lack the ability to read. Go back to page one, I had posted a link backing up what I said about him dropping the gun and running.

I am not the illiterate one. You're the one that reads into the article stuff that ain't there. I copy pasted your link. Read it again and show me where it says what you make up.

1245A Defender

imported post

in the second posted news link!!!

Emerging from the house, Bell went to the street, saw the man in his car, and drew a handgun and fired, striking the vehicle. Hall crashed into a tree, bailed out of the vehicle, dropped his handgun and fled on foot, according to investigators. As Hall ran west at Pickford and Vaughn, Bell fired again, the bullet entering Jackson’s home in the 18400 block of Vaughn and struck Jackson.

choover

imported post

Frank Bernz wrote:
choover wrote:
Frank Bernz wrote:
choover wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Frank Bernz wrote:
choover wrote:
Good point!

I am not the illiterate one. You're the one that reads into the article stuff that ain't there. I copy pasted your link. Read it again and show me where it says what you make up.
Emerging from the house, Bell went to the street, saw the man in his car, and drew a handgun and fired, striking the vehicle. Hall crashed into a tree, bailed out of the vehicle, dropped his handgun and fled on foot, according to investigators. As Hall ran west at Pickford and Vaughn, Bell fired again, the bullet entering Jackson’s home in the 18400 block of Vaughn and struck Jackson.

You don't see that?

http://www.freep.com/article/20100515/NEWS01/100515014/1001/rss01

Taurus850CIA

imported post

The shooter was concentrating on the fleeing suspect, and failed to take into consideration what was beyond his target. Irresponsible shoot, regardless of any pertinent law.

choover

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
The shooter was concentrating on the fleeing suspect, and failed to take into consideration what was beyond his target. Irresponsible shoot, regardless of any pertinent law.
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

manicdevery

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
i will give this a +1 for sure. i spend more time in my daily life looking at safe berms to where a bullet could safely travel. at my work there is almost no where safe i should be shooting. i don't want anyone to think my heart does not go out to the innocent lost.

Devery

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

manicdevery wrote:
This is my take so feel free to disagree.

the deadly force law

imminent death, great bodily harm, sexual penetration to you or someone else.

If someone is willing to hold a gun to my face he is more than likely going to do it to someone else, so IMO if I were in the same position as the victim in this situation I would be preventing imminent death or great bodily harm to someone else at the point of him fleeing, unless the robber has a way of proving that this was going to be the his last armed robbery and that he was not going to do this kind of thing to anyone else or the courts try saying that putting a gun in someone's face is not a danger of great bodily harm or death I do not see how the deadly force law does not apply.

with that said, one less bag guy.

Devery
I will respectfully disagree with you Devery, only because a 'potential threat to future victims' does not fall in line with the definition of 'imminent', unless he was running away from the first victim in a B-line to another victim for a hat-trick robbery.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

manicdevery wrote:
This is my take so feel free to disagree.

the deadly force law

imminent death, great bodily harm, sexual penetration to you or someone else.

If someone is willing to hold a gun to my face he is more than likely going to do it to someone else, so IMO if I were in the same position as the victim in this situation I would be preventing imminent death or great bodily harm to someone else at the point of him fleeing, unless the robber has a way of proving that this was going to be the his last armed robbery and that he was not going to do this kind of thing to anyone else or the courts try saying that putting a gun in someone's face is not a danger of great bodily harm or death I do not see how the deadly force law does not apply.

You've got the "proving" responsibility flipped around. You don't really know that the guy is "more than likely to do it to someone else" and just because you hold that theory doesn't legally justify you shooting a fleeing criminal on the basis of some strained and personalizedinterpretation of "imminent."

manicdevery wrote:
with that said, one less bag guy.

One less good woman, too. A mother. A grandmother.

I wonder if there is any liability on the part of the shooter to compensate the woman's family???

There should be...

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:
kyleplusitunes wrote:
very sorry to hear about the loss of life, but I wonder how many people the shooter saved.
None, unless the grandma was a serial killer...
he was talking about the fleeing felon
I know he was. However, the shooter didn't stop the fleeing felon. He stopped a grandma.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:
kyleplusitunes wrote:
very sorry to hear about the loss of life, but I wonder how many people the shooter saved.
None, unless the grandma was a serial killer...
he was talking about the fleeing felon
I know he was. However, the shooter didn't stop the fleeing felon. He stopped a grandma.

Yes, sadly, from society's and the deceased'sfamily's perspective, that is it in a nutshell:

Some LAC gun carrier was getting robbed by a gunman--so the LAC shot a grandmother. And killed her.

I can see the antis' viewpoint a little better when I see a case like this one.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

don't worry about hank, he's the one who said this not too long ago:
"I can see the antis' viewpoint a little better when I see a case like this one."

he's a closet anti who likes to troll through the michigan forum from time to time and insert his opinion where it's not wanted/needed

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

don't worry about hank, he's the one who said this not too long ago:
"I can see the antis' viewpoint a little better when I see a case like this one."

he's a closet anti who likes to troll through the michigan forum from time to time and insert his opinion where it's not wanted/needed
I know.

My comment had an underlying air of 'smartass'.