• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible new GA gun owner?

synae

imported post

Hello,
Not to get to much into the entire back story of my life I just wanted to give you a little bit of information about me to hopefully help you help me. I'm 20 turning 21 in September and I live with my Mom in a growing neighborhood. I've always been interested in guns and gone shooting with my uncle and other family members. Now that I'm about to turn 21 I'm interested in purchasing my first firearm and had a couple of questions.

Firstly, (and I know that this isn't really related with OpenCarry but was hoping to kill two birds with one stone) I was wondering if I could get a bit of guidance for which pistol to go with. I'm quite a fan of Glocks and am pretty sure that's the direction I'm wanting to go but I'm not entirely sure on the model. From what I've read it would probably be best to go with a a 3rd or 4th generation RTF Glock but I'm not entirely sure on the size I should probably. I'm thinking I want a standard size one but one that at the same time wouldn't be to big to still carry. Hoping some of your expertise might help. I was perhaps thinking a G17 or G22.

Secondly, I'm attending college and while the main purpose would be for home protection I would like to keep it around me at all times, however since my world mainly revolves around school at this point I was wondering if it's acceptable to keep a pistol in a locked glove compartment while parked on school property. As I said I've done quite a bit of reading about it ( http://georgiapacking.org/law.php ) along with this site has been quite helpful, however while they state openly carrying it on school property I'm not sure if since it's in my motor vehicle it'd be under different law.

Finally I suppose it's just a question of are there any tips or suggestions you have to add. I was thinking about looking into different groups to join such as the NRA however after reading through a previous thread (granted I haven't quite read everything on it) it seems as though they may not be the right choice. So again, just any general advice or suggestions, tips of where to or not to carry, if you should ask people before carrying them inside somewhere, etc would be appreciated.

I thank you for any comments left and hope it wasn't a tl;dr (to long didn't read :p).

aadvark

imported post

The Pistol you choose to own is your Buisiness. That is your choice to make, so choose whichever is best for you, based on your experience.

As of right now, College Carry is Illegal for you, and it is a Felony, per 16-11-127.1.

However, if and when Senate Bill 308 is signed by Governor Sonny Perdue, and it will be too, then, College Carry will be Legal for you as long as you:

1. Have a Georiga Firearms..., er, Weapons Carry License, in accordance with Georgia Code 16-11-129, which you may apply for this September, and you should recieve within 10 or so days, depending if your Probate Court has a Live Scan Machine, provided; you are not hiding anything, and

2. You keep the same in your Vehicle while you are on the actual College Property. The 1000 foot rule will be Repealed, however; the actual Property, itself, that the College is located on will still be Illegal, unless you have the same in your Vehicle.

***As of right now, DO NOT take your Firearm or Weapon, if you have any as of now, to any College or School, period. You have to wait until The Governor signs this Bill sometime soon, and then you will be covered as long as you follow the direcitons above, namely 1 and 2.***

***Join Georgia Carry, not The NRA! The NRA is not as pro-Gun as some think, especially after their taunting of Senate Bill 308.***

***If you have any other questions..., fell free to ask!***

groats

imported post

Use the forum where many more people will see and answer your questions: http://georgiapacking.org/forum/

Choice of weapons is yours, you need to make it based on why and where you can and will carry. As well as what you're comfortable with. Fortunately, many gun ranges will rent various guns for you to try out.

As for places and situations off-limits: there are a LOT!
Hopefully, that is going to change in the next few days.
So again, use the forum above to keep up to date with the changes or ask specific questions.

And I encourage you to join the 7,000 or so members of GeorgiaCarry.org who have been instrumental in getting Ga's nutty firearms laws relaxed.

aadvark

imported post

The Governor has until June 7th to act on both Senate Bills 291 and 308.

Hopefully He will do something sooner than that, however.

synae

imported post

Heh, was just about to post as soon as I noticed you added that new one. In fact, the post was a question about the bill. I was simply wondering if there is somewhere that explains that bill and what it will mean to gun owners as well as somewhere to find out whether or not it's been passed (simply help keep track of it). I've found a number of places that inform you of the Senate Bill 308 but none that really break it down into layman's terms.

Thank both of you for the reply. I'm pretty sure I've decided to go with a G22 RTF as I get my permit and the money for it (woohoo paying for college and trying to find money for a gun :banghead:).

Groats, I've visited GeorgiaCarry.org however haven't quite registered, I'll be sure to do that though as soon as I have a chance.

aadvark

imported post

Forget College, and go for the Gun.

I will break both Senate Bills 291 and 308 down for you.

Senate Bill 291 does the following:

1. Allows Firearms and Weapons into Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, and every other Airport in Georgia, provided; the Firearm or Weapon is not in a area that is controlled by The United StatesFederal Government,

2. Makes it easier to renew currently exsisting Georgia Firearms Licenses,

3. Removes the three year prohibition barring anyone found Guilty of 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 from obtaining a Georgia Firearms License, or having their currently exsisting License Revoked,

4. Removes Misdemeanor Marijuana Offenses from the Lifetime Prohiibition category. (under current Law in Georgia, anyone found Guilty of any Crime 16-13-X, can not Carry a Pistol or Revolver in Public, but may Carry a Rifle or Shotgun in Public,as they do not qualify for a License, even though the 16-13-X Charge is only a Misdemeanor),

5. Removes the need for a Fingerprint to appear on the License itself,

6.Makes a new kind of distinctive License for Law Enforcement, and

7. Makes a new Code Section that is a Katrina Bill, effectively, The State of Georgia can not come after your FirearmsorAmmunition even if there is a State of Emergency.

Senate Bill 308 does the following:

1. Makes a new Code Section 16-11-125.1 that defines Weapon. (Weapon means any Knife with a Blade over 5'' in length, or any other Handgun/Pistol with a Barrel less than 12'' in length,

2. Repeals 16-11-126, as it stands now, that prohibits Concealed Carry, and instead, allows Carry of a Weapon, as defined above, for some things, but says that if what you are doing is not one of the things listed, then, you need a License to Carry a Weapon. Georgia Firearms License would be re-named as Georgia Weapon Carry Licenses (ex. Carrying a Weapon, say..., Handgun, in your Hom/Vehicle is fine, but once you are in Public you need a Weapon Carry License, or a GFL,whilst in Public with that Weapon),

***Remember, Weapon is Knife with a Blade of more than 5'', or Gun with a Barrel less than 12''. Therefore, Rifles and Shotguns would not be regulated, and ordinary Hand-held Weapons, such as Martial Arts Weapons and Batons, Metal Knuckles, small knifes, etc. would be fine to Carry in Public with no need for a License so as long as they are Carried Openly at all times and not in a place listed below.***,

3. Repeals 16-11-127 (Public Gatherings Law) and replaces it with a easy to read, esy to follow, shorter, clearer list of places that are off-limits for Weapons and Long Guns. The places are-Courthouses, Jails, Prisons, State Mental Health Facility, Churches, Polling Places, Government Buildings,and Bars. Bar Carry would be allowed if the owner consents, but good luck trying to find that Owner,

***Parking Lot Carry Carry with a Permit means you are exempt, and you are also exempt if you approach Management or Security for such off-limit place. Basically, if you want to Carry your..., say... Pistol, to the City Hall, check with your Local Police Chief in advance, and also make sure you announce this upon arrival, with your GFL or WCL,and follow the Police instructions for rendering the same safe/secure, whilst there. However, Firearms and Weapons, similiar to Schools, discussed below, that stay in your Vehicle, provided you have a GFL or WCL, means you are exempt.***

4. Changes 16-11-127.1 (School Zone Law) to read that Schools (K-12 and Colleges/Universities/etc.) are still off-limits, BUT the 1000 foot rule is repealed and Car Carry is Legal for anyone with a GFL or WCL. Therefore, anyone can walk/drive past a School, and, so as long as they do not come onto the actual School Property itself, then, they are fine. IF YOU ACCIDENTLY come onto School Property, itself, with a Weapon or Long Gun, and you have a GFL or WCL, then, it is only a Misdemeanor, however, if the same is in your Vehicle and you have the License, then, you are fine. People who purposely show up to Schools without a GFL or WCL with any Weapon or Long Gun, or who show up on purpose with a Weapon outlined under 16-11-121 (Machine Guns and Sawed Guns, etc.) will still get the Felony Charge,...,

5. Repeals 16-11-128 (Carrying a Pistol without a License), but this does no good, under the newly-revamped 16-11-126,

***Basically, Jim Crow lives on to fight another day in Georgia. You still need a stinkin' License to Carry a Pistol or Revolver in Georgia. It, at first glance, looks as thoughyou do not need a License to Carry a Pistol/Revolver Openly anymore, but then, 16-11-126 comes along and... BANG!... you still need a GFL or WCL License.***,

6. Amends various Code Secitons (mostly Hunting-related Laws) to say that, ...for some reason or the other, Handguns are OK in most places such as State Parks, WMA's, and non-Hunting (out of season) areas in said Parks, but Long Guns... not so much anymore, ***(I still lookin' into this one, and I will get back to you on it)***,

7. Revamps 16-11-129 (Licensure Statute) to help The Probate Court Judges figure out just who exactly qualifies for a License. Basically:

7A. Like Senate Bill 291, no more Misdemeanor Marijuana Lifetime disqualifiers, instead the first offense is Judge's discrestion, and second and subsequent offense is a 5-year Bar (Treatment is a Defense), not Lifetime;

7B. Felony Indicted and Convicted Persons(and Persons fleeing Felony prosecution)still do not qualify, nor do Person with Serious Trafficing/Manufacturing Drug Offenses (Methamphetimine, Cocaine, Heroin) (Treatment is a Defense);

***(Treatment is a Defense) means: If you successfully undergo professional treatment, depending on the situation, the judge may overlook, or turn a blind eye, on these things.***

7C. Persons who are barred under Federal Law (ex's: Person who are not Citizens of The United States, Persons who have been Convicted of Domestic Violence, Persons who have been Dishonorably Discharged from any Branch of The United States Military, or Persons who have a active Domestic Violence Protection Order, Persons who are addicited to Hard Drugs, Persons who are Mentally Ill, and Persons who have renounced their Citizenship) still do not qualify;

7D. Any Person who has one or more of the NEW GUN CHARGES 16-11-126 through 16-11-127, not the OLD GUN CHARGES, and has not been free of restraint in connection therewith for atleast 5 years. The three year Ban on THE OLD GUN CHARGES (the OLD GUN CHARGES were poorly written) is repealed, and this too is similiar to Senate Bill 291;

*** As always a State or Federal Pardon, Certificate of Rehabilitation, Presidential Pardon, or other type of Pardon (different States call it different things) for a Felony removes the Disability from having Firearms under State and Federal Law, so as long as the Pardon says that your Gun Rights have been restored***;

*** Basically you qualify as long as you have, -NO HARD DRUGS , -NO FEDERAL CRIMES, -NO FELONIES, -NO VIOLENT CRIMES, AND -NO NEW GUN CHARGES***,

8. Like Senate Bill 291, Senate Bill 308 does all of the following:

8A. Adds a Fingerprint, unlike 291, but only after 2011;

8B. Adds a Special Law Enforcement License, with a distincitve design,

9. After 2011, along with the Fingerprints, our (Citizen) Licenses will get a Facelift. They will ahve covert special inscription and special color-codes, and all other built in features on new shiny plastic!,

10. Amends 16-11-132 (Carrying Pistols by Persons under 18) to say that a Handgun is only Loaded if and only if the Ammunition is in the firing position. Under the OLD LAW a Handgun was Loaded even if the Handgun was not really Loaded if you happened to be under 18 (not any more),

11. Changes other Code Secitons so that 16-11-128 is removed and 16-11-125.1 is added (technical changes here..., no big deal for us), and finally,

12. The Act becomes effective upon the approval of The Governor! What this means is that once The Governor signs this itis Law. While everything else has to wait until July 1, 2010, you benefit from this Bill on that very day.

***Notice, although Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(x) allows you to Keep andBear Handguns as early as 18 years old,Georgia Law 16-11-126 only allows you to Keep them at 18 years old. You have to wait until you are 21 years old this September beforeyou can Carry, and you have to get a License before you can even do that. Get the LicenseBEFORE you take your Handgun, anywhere,or even to your College, even if you are planning on leaving it in your Motor Vehicle, and even then,DO NOT get out of The Motor Vehicle with it while there, regardless what happens!***

If you have any other questions, I will gladly assist youhowever I can.

aadvark

imported post

synae...,pursuant to Paragraph 6 of the explanaiton titled 'Senate Bill 308 does the following...', Rifles and Shotguns will not be allowed into State Parks, or WMA's anymore (which I have verified today) and instead only Handguns will be, or other hand-held Weapons.

However, if it is Hunting Season, the Long-gun Prohibitondoes not apply.