• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCed Ruston Way

69Charger

imported post

Went for a big walk today down Ruston Way here in Tacoma. For those that don't know, Ruston Way is a VERY BUSY PLACE where families, joggers and all types of people come to enjoy being by the bay, on nice days. Bumper to bumper traffic.
My wife, my son and I Slowly made our way down Ruston way as I Open Carried my Colt 45. Felt good. :)
Not one word or hassle from any one. :)
We will be there tomorrow at about noon, with our 5 month old grand daughter in a stroller, strolling down the way, enjoying the nice weather. 45 on my hip. Its a good 1-2 mile walk.
Maybe see you there?

Dave:)

69Charger

imported post

Being a weeee bit over weight, we have decided to do this walk every weekend that doesn't rain. Right around noon. Should be a good way to loose a few pounds and enlighten people on there 2nd amendment right.
Lots of people and LEO there. :)
Dave

Mainsail

imported post

69Charger wrote:
Being a weeee bit over weight, we have decided to do this walk every weekend that doesn't rain. Right around noon. Should be a good way to loose a few pounds and enlighten people on there 2nd amendment right.
Lots of people and LEO there. :)
Dave
There was a time when OC on Ruston would guarantee a police encounter, but not anymore. TPD knows the law now.

69Charger

imported post

I have concealed carried to the Freedom fair 4th of July celebration, here in Tacoma, on Ruston way, for a few years.
I have looked at the web page about this fair and have not seen where open carry is not allowed.
I have a Question?
Has any one found that Open Carry at this fair would be illegal? :(

My defensive weapon will be with me, ether openly or concealed.:)

If it is HOT, I would like to carry Openly. :?
Dave

Mainsail

imported post

69Charger wrote:
I have concealed carried to the Freedom fair 4th of July celebration, here in Tacoma, on Ruston way, for a few years.
I have looked at the web page about this fair and have not seen where open carry is not allowed.
I have a Question?

Dave
It is not illegal.

Now, the last time I went, I was carrying openly (in my kilt no less!) and was sort of detained by TPD. Sort of? Well, I was surrounded by over a dozen officers from various jurisdictions. I asked if I were being detained, and the officer said no. I wished him a good day and began to walk away, he told me not to leave because the event organizer was on her way over to trespass me. The reasoning she used was that the Freedom Fair was a private event. The details are in the forum here somewhere.

Is that legal? I don't think so. A private event that's open to the public, held on public property, and employs police officers from multiple jurisdictions? We need to do what we did last time the TPD (on Ruston by the way) extended their authority beyond what is lawful; we show up en mass with video. If they want the lawsuit, so be it. The Tacoma Events Commission and TPD will end up paying out so big they'll think twice about doing it again, and some people at the TEC may end up looking for other employment.

If I still lived over there I would happily organize it, but I'm over in Silverdale now. I will do everything in my power to attend if someone steps up. There's no big drama in being trespassed, and the educational opportunity would be well worth it.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
69Charger wrote:
I have a Question?

Dave
It is not illegal.

Now, the last time I went, I was carrying openly (in my kilt no less!) and was sort of detained by TPD. Sort of? Well, I was surrounded by over a dozen officers from various jurisdictions. I asked if I were being detained, and the officer said no. I wished him a good day and began to walk away, he told me not to leave because the event organizer was on her way over to trespass me. The reasoning she used was that the Freedom Fair was a private event. The details are in the forum here somewhere.

Is that legal? I don't think so. A private event that's open to the public, held on public property, and employs police officers from multiple jurisdictions? We need to do what we did last time the TPD (on Ruston by the way) extended their authority beyond what is lawful; we show up en mass with video. If they want the lawsuit, so be it. The Tacoma Events Commission and TPD will end up paying out so big they'll think twice about doing it again, and some people at the TEC may end up looking for other employment.

If I still lived over there I would happily organize it, but I'm over in Silverdale now. I will do everything in my power to attend if someone steps up. There's no big drama in being trespassed, and the educational opportunity would be well worth it.

I live in NE Tacoma and love Ruston Way and the Freedom Fair. I will do a little research as to the 'private' nature of it.

I will also be there and have a video camera with me.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Last year I asked for a pic and Mainsail complied. It is a great pic. I'd like to see it again. Please post it here. Your smile while being surrounded by PD was great.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Freedom Fair is put on by a non profit organization. http://www.freedomfair.com/about-tec.html

They are not renting the street, sidewalk or any other area along Ruston Way that I can tell.

They have a 'voluntary admission' to the street. I would actually say this is a request for donation. "The annual 4th of July Freedom Fair is made possible by the support of the City of Tacoma, generous sponsors, and individual donations made by the public at event entry gates, or mailed to: The Tacoma Events Commission, 708 Broadway, Suite 106, Tacoma, WA 98402-3778."

There being multiple jurisdictionallaw enforcemnt covering Ruston.

From what I can tell the non profit is not paying the wages of LEO during the event.

On the City of Tacoma website I do not even see a permit for the Freedom Fair. NO PERMIT?

Therefore, on July 4th Ruston way is a public place, open to the public, supervised and controled by the city of Tacoma and in no way whatsoever is a private affair.

State preemption rules and OC or CC is the law.

Mainsail

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
From what I can tell the non profit is not paying the wages of LEO during the event.
That was something I pointed out to the 'serious' officer who was trying desperately to intimidate me, and he really didn't like the question. He also didn't have an answer to how the city of Tacoma was providing security for the so-called private event. The bill for police overtime must be huge, and if it's really a private event, might be demonstrative of fraud against the taxpayers.

Of course, there's also the incredible irony of being asked to leave the FREEDOM fair for doing nothing unlawful.

If we're going to discuss this in this thread, can the OP change the thread title to Freedom Fair or something like that? It will make it easier to find. Or start a new thread.

If we can get at least a half dozen people to OC and someone to videotape (someone not easily intimidated in case TPD tries to order them to stop taping) then I will dig out my kilt and strap on the 1911. Maybe Technoweenie can OC his AR pistol. Anyway, count me in.

amzbrady

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
69Charger wrote:
I have a Question?

Dave
It is not illegal.

Very nice, I love it. Did you wait foran event organizer, per order of TPD while not being detained? If you stayed, why, and what could they have done if you left. Actually if you are on public property, who's to say you dont have a right to be there?

Mainsail

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
69Charger wrote:
I have a Question?

Dave
It is not illegal.

Very nice, I love it. Did you wait foran event organizer, per order of TPD while not being detained? If you stayed, why, and what could they have done if you left. Actually if you are on public property, who's to say you dont have a right to be there?
There are battles that can be fought then-and-there, and there are battles that can be better fought in court. Since I was already on my way out I saw little to gain in fighting it out with the TPD. Also, like every first time something happens, you view it as a learning experience for next time. This year will be next time, and I'll be armed with experience and proper legal advise from a firearms lawyer. If he says I'm/we're good to carry there, I'll/we'll have plenty of ammunition for a lawsuit if TEC and TPD decide to push it.

amzbrady

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
69Charger wrote:
I have a Question?

Dave
It is not illegal.

There are battles that can be fought then-and-there, and there are battles that can be better fought in court. Since I was already on my way out I saw little to gain in fighting it out with the TPD. Also, like every first time something happens, you view it as a learning experience for next time. This year will be next time, and I'll be armed with experience and proper legal advise from a firearms lawyer. If he says I'm/we're good to carry there, I'll/we'll have plenty of ammunition for a lawsuit if TEC and TPD decide to push it.
I didnt disagree with what you did, I havnt experienced a bad encounter with the PD myself, so I probably would have done the same. I was just laughing that the PD told you to wait and stayat a place they wanted you to leave, so you could be tresspassed and told to leave. I was laughing at the irony of it. I was also questioning for future reference, Can they make you wait to be tresspassed, if you are not being detained? Can they make you leave a public event on public property?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Not to change gears, but I just talked to a buddy of mine (new to guns/just got CPL/etc.) and he said that he saw two people OCing on Ruston yesterday. Good work guys. I'da been there too, but I took my 3 year old daughter to the WAC show yesterday.

G20