• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Confused on Walmart Policy.

sevenplusone

imported post

I stopped at Walmart today before attempting to get to the Ace Rylees seminar. I was gathering the missing ingredients (strike 1) for a pie I was supposed to make for a work event tonight. I grabbed item number one, and I'm going through the produce for item number two when a manager looking fellow comes strolling over to me... (convo as I recall it)

Him: "Excuse me, I know it isn't posted or anything, but we'd prefer you didn't carry firearms in here."

Me: "Is that the corporate policy?"

Him: "Well, we're getting the 'no-guns' stickers soon, and if it's posted by state law you can't carry in here."

Me: "That's not quite the state law, but ok, again, is that corporate policy or just this store? Last I knew it was Walmart's policy to follow state law."

Him (starting to backtrack): "Well, I'm not going to kick you out, but as a courtesy we'd prefer you didn't bring guns in the store."

Me: "I guess I don't understand."

Him: "Well, it's not posted, so I'm not going to ask you to leave."

Me: "Do you intend to post it soon?"

Him: "Well, I don't know."

Me: "What will be different about your policy once it is posted? Will I be treated differently in a week?"

Him: "No, I wouldn't kick you out then either. Just as a courtesy don't bring guns here."

Me: "Okay, well, I'm confused, I think I'll just take my business elsewhere as I don't understand what your policy is and I don't like this pressure." (Setting down the item I had already picked out realizing I'm now that much further behind on my day after a wasted shopping trip)

I still do not know if they really intend to post the store as he was backpeddling quickly by the end. I'll try to contact higher-up management this week and get clarification. I just did not have the time to deal with it then.

To be noted, I have OC'd at this Walmart on numerous ammo-purchasing trips.

malignity

imported post

I'd file a complaint with corporate. Considering he isn't sure about much of anything, maybe he isn't sure he wants to continue to be a manager at Wal-Mart.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Pretty close to what happened to me...if this wasn't the one near Rivertown Mall, maybe the manager I dealt with moved. If you want to send "joint" communication to corporate, let me know.
Last year I had my experience, contacted corporate, and that really didn't go anywhere. In a nutshell, they acknowledged the "follow local, state, and federal law" BUT stated that a manager can exclude anyone, as long as the issue does not concern membership in a legally protected class.

Someone last year told me about this... and I sort of forgot about it until I was talking with Ghostrider today:

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/partnership/partnership.shtml

sevenplusone

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
Pretty close to what happened to me...if this wasn't the one near Rivertown Mall, maybe the manager I dealt with moved. If you want to send "joint" communication to corporate, let me know.
Last year I had my experience, contacted corporate, and that really didn't go anywhere. In a nutshell, they acknowledged the "follow local, state, and federal law" BUT stated that a manager can exclude anyone, as long as the issue does not concern membership in a legally protected class.

Someone last year told me about this... and I sort of forgot about it until I was talking with Ghostrider today:

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/partnership/partnership.shtml

It was Alpine. I'd be happy to join in on some sort of communication as I did not appreciate the way the manager approached me. There had been no complaints from customers I'm sureand I was just going about my business as usual in a store that I have OC'd in numerous times before without incident. A manager acted of his own accord and wasn't even sure what it was he was confronting me on.

Unfortunately I was so flustered and annoyed I did not get the manager's name.

flinch

imported post

Unfortunately walkiing out in that situation was probably the last thing you should have done. I would have told him he needs to get clarification from corporate and continued shopping. What did you gain by leaving?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

flinch wrote:
Unfortunately walkiing out in that situation was probably the last thing you should have done.
Leaving was a reasonable action, from a set of possible actions.

Especially since he felt "pressure" and was "flustered."

He can always make the appropriate complaint at leisure.

He could have stayed and been more insistant, too--unless the manager asked him to leave.

budlight

imported post

You need to call 1-800-WALMART and complain. This is not their policy and as a company they are not anti-gun. Maybe after your call they will bring this manager up to speed.

sevenplusone

imported post

flinch wrote:
Unfortunately walkiing out in that situation was probably the last thing you should have done. I would have told him he needs to get clarification from corporate and continued shopping. What did you gain by leaving?

As I already admitted I was not in any frame of mind to be having this discussion. I'd rather take myself away from the situation and have the discussion from a distance through other proper channels. It was not the forum I wanted to have that debate in. I'm pretty good at thinking on my feet, but I did not want to have a debate of sorts. I open-carry on almost all days, even those when everything else is a little harder.

I assure you I would not have accomplished anything by having the discussion at that time with that individual and I would worry about saying something that could be turned to a negative light which would nothave done any good for any of us. Instead I was polite and while he was trying to be polite he was failing.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

budlight wrote:
You need to call 1-800-WALMART and complain. This is not their policy and as a company they are not anti-gun. Maybe after your call they will bring this manager up to speed.
I disagree... see my post above. I don't see anyone else cozying up to Mayors Against Illegal Guns like Walmart.

fozzy71

imported post

Wasn't there a thread about wal-mart removing their 6 box maximum? Roseville wouldn't let me buy more than 6, and I made them ask the store manager.