• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just got the cops called on me

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Vegas Rick wrote:
flagellum wrote:
I'm of the thought that a person should only volunteer as much information as they feel comfortable with. He reserved most of his rights, but provided his name. He certainly didn't have too, but there is no reason why he shouldn't, had he thought it would help the situation.
I concur. Consider it from the LEO's side for a moment. He/she has to, repeat HAS TO, make an on-the-spot judgment call that you are a law abiding citizen and not a loose cannon. I like the approach of calmly and politely letting the LEO know you know your rights and yet are still willing to give your name up in order to help him/her make the call your way.

Then wait and see what that gets you. If the LEO starts pressing for more and being a jerk, that's for sure the time to go strong and insist on your rights.

It's an imperfect world, sometimes it's best to be a bit tolerant instead of inflexible. I'm not saying just give up everything - drivers' license, blue card, credit cards, cash on hand, favorite shirt, etc. - just that the LEO needs something to hang the judgment call on other than your pretty face.

Well said, by both of you.

Similar to your thinking, I don't see why OP couldn't have answered, "self-defense" to the cop's query as to why he was carrying a gun.

Probably better than something like 'I willexercise my constitutional right to remain silent.'

Flexibilty...reasonableness....simplicity....go a long way in those LEO/citizen interactions. Of course, sometimes the LEO will be ona power trip and reasonableness won't do any good...

I'm still a little worried aboutthe OP's uncertainty about whether he'd draw on a person who was swearing at him. If he doesn't know that cussing is not a good enough reason.....then he's in for a bad event sometime in the future...

wrightme

imported post

HankT wrote:
Vegas Rick wrote:
flagellum wrote:
I'm of the thought that a person should only volunteer as much information as they feel comfortable with. He reserved most of his rights, but provided his name. He certainly didn't have too, but there is no reason why he shouldn't, had he thought it would help the situation.
I concur. Consider it from the LEO's side for a moment. He/she has to, repeat HAS TO, make an on-the-spot judgment call that you are a law abiding citizen and not a loose cannon. I like the approach of calmly and politely letting the LEO know you know your rights and yet are still willing to give your name up in order to help him/her make the call your way.

Then wait and see what that gets you. If the LEO starts pressing for more and being a jerk, that's for sure the time to go strong and insist on your rights.

It's an imperfect world, sometimes it's best to be a bit tolerant instead of inflexible. I'm not saying just give up everything - drivers' license, blue card, credit cards, cash on hand, favorite shirt, etc. - just that the LEO needs something to hang the judgment call on other than your pretty face.

Well said, by both of you.

Similar to your thinking, I don't see why OP couldn't have answered, "self-defense" to the cop's query as to why he was carrying a gun.

Probably better than something like 'I willexercise my constitutional right to remain silent.'

Flexibilty...reasonableness....simplicity....go a long way in those LEO/citizen interactions. Of course, sometimes the LEO will be ona power trip and reasonableness won't do any good...
You must have missed the part where the choice the OP made was evidently well-received by the LE, disproving ANY claim that some other action (or verbiage) is "better."

I'm still a little worried aboutthe OP's uncertainty about whether he'd draw on a person who was swearing at him. If he doesn't know that cussing is not a good enough reason.....then he's in for a bad event sometime in the future...
You should be more worried about how you will act in a given situation when it happens, as opposed to again "Monday Morning QBing" an event of which you were not a party.

SoLasVegas

imported post

First, I am not commenting on how the OP handled the interaction. As was stated by others, as long as he is happy with the results, then that's all that really matters. Good job remaining cool and calm under the circumstances, by the way!

I did want to interject that there may be situations in which giving your name when not required could be a bad idea. Consider the possibility that someone else has the same name as you, but that person has outstanding warrants for their arrest. If you volunteer your name when not required, this would then give the officer a reason to continue his or her interaction with you, detaining you further. At this point you would likely be compelled to then provide ID or more details to further identify yourself.

MK

imported post

SoLasVegas wrote:
First, I am not commenting on how the OP handled the interaction. As was stated by others, as long as he is happy with the results, then that's all that really matters. Good job remaining cool and calm under the circumstances, by the way!

I did want to interject that there may be situations in which giving your name when not required could be a bad idea. Consider the possibility that someone else has the same name as you, but that person has outstanding warrants for their arrest. If you volunteer your name when not required, this would then give the officer a reason to continue his or her interaction with you, detaining you further. At this point you would likely be compelled to then provide ID or more details to further identify yourself.

Good point, I have a friend who has the exact same name and middle initial of another person in his city that has been in alot of trouble and committed violent crimes. My friend has had guns drawn on him, been harrassed and went through some terrible situations due to these mistakes. When he is giving information to police in a traffic stop, he nows speaks out clearly ASAP that he is not that same guy.

I've learned not to talk. Its unfortunate but it serves me best. When in contact with a LEO it can be a very threatening situation for people. Who really knows what their intent is when they are asking questions (investigating you for a crime, any crime even ones they aren't even able to state at that point).

Q - Why are you carrying around a gun?

A - for self defense,

Q - oh so you are planning on shooting someone?

Q - so are you expecting trouble?

The following queries can trip people up who aren't thinking to the point of providing enough reasonable suspicions for further detainment. Not everyone is skilled and able to talk to the police while providing themselves protection from those same officers.

I've seen it happen to both my teenagers in seperate events. One was my daughter who tried to do the right things and answer questions truthfully but was raked over the coals when she had done nothing criminal whatsoever. If she would have just defended herself from the intimidating and the cop leading her on, she would have been fine by being silent. She learned her lesson and I hope she has the strength not to repeat her mistake.

My son was arrested for a misdemenor charge. It would have been hard to prove in court. He's a very honest kid and wasn't harming or intending to harm anyone. Hefessed up because he thought it was the right thing to do and now he will pay a very heavy price for it when possibly nothing further would have been done to him. Alot heavier of a price than what his crime deserves, that's for damn sure. He learned his lesson and I hope he has the strength not to repeat his mistake.

Unless I am the victim, unless myproperty or person was damaged or stolen, unless I need them to help me or another innocent that has been wronged, I am not talking,period, but to each his own.

Sabotage70

imported post

SCJeffro wrote:
While I do believe (and Live/Stand by) what I said earlier... DANG when you watch a COP talk about why they ask questions or "talk" to people they stop or detain....  YIKES!  :shock: The less talking you do the better...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6014022229458915912#

:uhoh:

You can't put that one up without putting this one up also.

This is part one with the lawyer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

This is also a must see. It doesn't deal with guns but
still serves its purpose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

M

McX

imported post

how dare you carry a gun in my neighborhood!...................ummm, wait, i got mine right here.................never mind!:p

riverrat10k

imported post

HankT wrote:
Nevada carrier wrote:
well this guy was well over 6 foot tall and I estimate him to be about 250 lbs, a significant size disparity that had he done that outside the presence of a police officer I would have drawn on him...

You would have drawn a gun on a manfor 'very aggressively swearing and shouting that "[Your] punk ass was going to go to jail" and "How dare[you] carry a gun in [my] neighborhood?"'

Why?

39.gif
Hey Hank! Would you draw on 500 SEIU terrorist thugs on your front lawn?

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/05/21/seiu-protesters-descend-on-bank-execs-home-terrifying-his-son/

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/05/26/nina-easton-what-i-saw-at-the-seiu-thug-protest-at-that-bankers-home/