Completed railed upper - 80$
    YHM lowpro gas block - 24$
    YHM quad rail, charging handle, Phantom flash hider, and YHM cap - $140
    7.5" barrel and pistol gas tube - 150$
    Pistol buffer tube - 40$
    BCG - 80$
    MAGBUS sights - 100$
    10 - 30 rd. ProMag polymer mags - 80$

For a grand total of $834 .. (not including tax)

CHEAPEST 'built' AR pistol is ~900$, and that's using all oly stuff, with no rail, basic iron sights, etc..

I customized it with quality components, and TEN mags, and still spent 70$ less!

Wanna talk about balance?!

Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

Looks neat and like fun, but how practical is it? Or did you do it for a fun project plinker?

Post imported post

Iron_Colonel wrote:
    Looks neat and like fun, but how practical is it? Or did you do it for a fun project plinker?
    think of it as a CC legal rifle plus car carry loaded with CPL!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Regular Member Son_of_Perdition's Avatar

Post imported post

WOW :whataddy Like:celebrate

Question 1: How can a person OC that bad boy? I'm guessing a sling will not qualify as holstered?

Question2: Can you make a custom leg holster and be good in the hood with the POPO? Or at least comply with the RCW?

Question3: Can you have a fatty drum mag hanging off that SOB when you OC? I guess yes.

P.S. I don't talk gangster. It just felt right at the time. The questions are legitimate though.

EDIT: BTW it makes a very elegant centerpiece. It really draws the dinning room together.

Post imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
    Iron_Colonel wrote:
    We have a weiner!!!!

It's a pistol, so follows all laws regarding pistols..

Including loaded car carry, and concealment....

Practical, maybe not, but it can be concealed pretty decently under a coat or suit coat one size larger.......

According to the ATF, the buffer tube is NOT a stock, and since the lower is registered as a pistol, with a barrel shorter than 16", and designed to fire with one hand (it surely can!) it's classified as a pistol...

Can't put a forward grip on it because then it would be an AOW.....Can't put a butt stock on it because it then becomes an SBR, which is illegal in WA, not to mention the tax stamp..

It's my bug out gun..... small, accurate to 200 yards, uses a rifle round...only downside is velocity... 1800-2200 FPS instead of your usual 3000 FPS, which means less fragmentation....

Legally, I can put a bi-pod on it.... but not a grip....
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:
    WOW :whataddy Like:celebrate

Question 1: How can a person OC that bad boy? I'm guessing a sling will not qualify as holstered?

Question2: Can you make a custom leg holster and be good in the hood with the POPO? Or at least comply with the RCW?

Question3: Can you have a fatty drum mag hanging off that SOB when you OC? I guess yes.

P.S. I don't talk gangster. It just felt right at the time. The questions are legitimate though.
    Can I OC it? Technically, yes.

Will I? No. Serves no purpose, just scares the sheeple and does nothing to further the cause. There are holsters made for them though....

As far as the drum mag....

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/I_GvbcRby54[/flash]

Fo' shizzle my nizzle

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/uL_mlvnw21g[/flash]

Post imported post

You suck... Now I want one. I will have to find a way to conceal it comfortably tho... lol.

I like your sights too.

Can you put up a link to the sights? I cant find them with a quick Google search.

69Charger

Post imported post

I tried to CC my AK47. Just couldn't find the right holster .
    Dave

Post imported post

Glocked and Loaded wrote:
    You suck... Now I want one. I will have to find a way to conceal it comfortably tho... lol.

I like your sights too.

Can you put up a link to the sights? I cant find them with a quick Google search.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Magpul+Mbus

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    Glocked and Loaded wrote:

I like your sights too.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Magpul+Mbus
    Thanks! I still want one...

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    1245A Defender wrote:
    Iron_Colonel wrote:
    We have a weiner!!!!

It's a pistol, so follows all laws regarding pistols..

Including loaded car carry, and concealment....

Practical, maybe not, but it can be concealed pretty decently under a coat or suit coat one size larger.......

According to the ATF, the buffer tube is NOT a stock, and since the lower is registered as a pistol, with a barrel shorter than 16", and designed to fire with one hand (it surely can!) it's classified as a pistol...

Can't put a forward grip on it because then it would be an AOW.....Can't put a butt stock on it because it then becomes an SBR, which is illegal in WA, not to mention the tax stamp..

It's my bug out gun..... small, accurate to 200 yards, uses a rifle round...only downside is velocity... 1800-2200 FPS instead of your usual 3000 FPS, which means less fragmentation....

Legally, I can put a bi-pod on it.... but not a grip....
    What about a grip-pod?

www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Post imported post

That is a very cool build. Thanks for the parts list--it is very helpful.

However, I'm having a heck of a time finding the Aero pistol receivers. Can you also give us a list of sources and suppliers with the parts list?

Thanks,
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    That is a very cool build. Thanks for the parts list--it is very helpful.

However, I'm having a heck of a time finding the Aero pistol receivers. Can you also give us a list of sources and suppliers with the parts list?

Thanks,
    https://surplusammo.com/index.php?ma...cf9e9d5a5160e6

Pick em up in person, you can have them transfer to you as a pistol, frame, or rifle.

*edit* Assuming you're in the area. Else, you need to have your FFL process the receiver as either "frame" or "pistol" when you get it transferred.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

The only AeroPrecision complete lower I can find is this one:

And it's not specifically designated as a "pistol lower". I thought that to do an AR-pistol build, you had to buy a lower that was specifically manufactured and marked as a "pistol" lower.

Am I incorrect in this belief? Or would I just tell the seller that I wanted it for a pistol build, and they would mark and transfer it accordingly?

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

You can pick up a lower locally for a good price:
    https://surplusammo.com/index.php?ma...e03c4aa700b507

Or Mary's Pistols.

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:

And it's not specifically designated as a "pistol lower". I thought that to do an AR-pistol build, you had to buy a lower that was specifically manufactured and marked as a "pistol" lower.

Am I incorrect in this belief? Or would I just tell the seller that I wanted it for a pistol build, and they would mark and transfer it accordingly?

A receiver is exactly that... Not a pistol, or a rifle... It is what you make it.

You can turn a pistol into a rifle, but you can NOT take a rifle and turn it into a pistol.

You do not need a 'pistol' lower, I paid 10$ extra to get mine labeled 'pistol', because officers around here don't know the laws, should there be any questions, the fact that it's labeled 'PISTOL' should give them a clue...

I can still throw a barrel 16" or longer on it, and call it a rifle, but I can't then put the pistol barrel back onto it later (according to the ATF). However, there was a supreme court case that says otherwise, the ATF says 'that doesn't count'... LOL

If the manufacturer EVER put that lower on an upper with a stock and 16" barrel, then it can NEVER become a pistol (according to ATF), so you need a VIRGIN receiver that has NEVER been fitted to an upper.. Some companies test their lowers with rifle uppers, so if that was the case, even though the upper is sold as a receiver, and you never knew it was a 'rifle', technically you'd be guilty of a felony because it was once a rifle, and you turned it into a pistol....

Regular Member Son_of_Perdition's Avatar

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
    Dreamer wrote:

A receiver is exactly that... Not a pistol, or a rifle... It is what you make it.

You can turn a pistol into a rifle, but you can NOT take a rifle and turn it into a pistol.

You do not need a 'pistol' lower, I paid 10$ extra to get mine labeled 'pistol', because officers around here don't know the laws, should there be any questions, the fact that it's labeled 'PISTOL' should give them a clue...

I can still throw a barrel 16" or longer on it, and call it a rifle, but I can't then put the pistol barrel back onto it later (according to the ATF). However, there was a supreme court case that says otherwise, the ATF says 'that doesn't count'... LOL

If the manufacturer EVER put that lower on an upper with a stock and 16" barrel, then it can NEVER become a pistol (according to ATF), so you need a VIRGIN receiver that has NEVER been fitted to an upper.. Some companies test their lowers with rifle uppers, so if that was the case, even though the upper is sold as a receiver, and you never knew it was a 'rifle', technically you'd be guilty of a felony because it was once a rifle, and you turned it into a pistol....
    I'm a noob at gun building, but I really like the idea of doing this. What I can glean from the net about this is that you must procure a newlower with the serial numbers on it from a licenced dealer. This part is critical. The rest of the parts can be a random conglomeration of newparts that correctly fit with in the category of what it takes to make it apistol.

Is this correct?

Post imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:
    Dreamer wrote:

I'm a noob at gun building, but I really like the idea of doing this. What I can glean from the net about this is that you must procure a newlower with the serial numbers on it from a licenced dealer. This part is critical. The rest of the parts can be a random conglomeration of newparts that correctly fit with in the category of what it takes to make it apistol.

Is this correct?
    Generally, yes.

Post imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

OK, I get it. I know about the "once it's had a stock and long barrel on it, it can't be a pistol" silliness. But I was unclear as to the nature of how a new receiver got the "pistol" designation.

So, if I purchased a raw receiver from out of state for a pistol build--through my local FFL of course--would such a receiver need to be transferred as a pistol, with all the attending paperwork?

I'm assuming "yes"...

Is the "pistol" marking painted on, or is it actually engraved/punched into the receiver?

I'm interested in having my future build Duracoated, so I'd prefer the "pistol" marking to be engraved, so it would still be visible after the Duracoating was applied...

Thanks for all the great info!
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    TechnoWeenie wrote:

OK, I get it. I know about the "once it's had a stock and long barrel on it, it can't be a pistol" silliness. But I was unclear as to the nature of how a new receiver got the "pistol" designation.

So, if I purchased a raw receiver from out of state for a pistol build--through my local FFL of course--would such a receiver need to be transferred as a pistol, with all the attending paperwork?

I'm assuming "yes"...

Is the "pistol" marking painted on, or is it actually engraved/punched into the receiver?

I'm interested in having my future build Duracoated, so I'd prefer the "pistol" marking to be engraved, so it would still be visible after the Duracoating was applied...

Thanks for all the great info!
    FFL fills 4473 as 'other', and also fill out state pistol paperwork. AFAIK, you really don't need to do the pistol paperwork, since at that point it is just a receiver. I, however, decided to fill it out as a pistol, should there be any 'issues' later on, it would be clearly 'registered' as a pistol.... Yes, it's illegal to keep my 'registration', but DOL WILL keep it, illegally....

I honestly wanna see what happens when someone runs my DL/CPL and have the officer scratch his head as to why I have an AR pistol, and where I'm hiding it, HAHAHA..

The marking is lightly engraved and paint filled. I would not expect it to be visible after painting though, it feels laser etched.

Post imported post

I haven't read any replies, that's my disclaimer.

First off, sweet pistol build, nice component choices! Does it shoot well?! I noticed you have a "pistol lower," that was overkill but some guys like to do that and I get it I guess.

I want to build a pistol AR just to be able to have a gun that shoots 30 rifle rounds loaded and in my vehicle. That is soooo handy! My AR:

Post imported post

I thought about getting an AK-47 handgun to keep int he car.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Post imported post

massivedesign wrote:
    What about a grip-pod?
    Ugh. Those things just flat out suck.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

Question from a noob here.

I'm curious, does building an AR literally involve buying the parts and putting them together (save for the lower that may have to go through an FFL if not bought locally) or is there a bunch of other paperwork needed (gunsmith license?) to be able to put together a rifle from parts?

Post imported post

onlurker wrote:
    Question from a noob here.

I'm curious, does building an AR literally involve buying the parts and putting them together (save for the lower that may have to go through an FFL if not bought locally) or is there a bunch of other paperwork needed (gunsmith license?) to be able to put together a rifle from parts?
    Under the law, only the lower is an actual 'gun', everything else is treated as machined metal. You just can't assemble in an illegal fashion, Ie barrel less than 16" on a rifle, forward grip on a pistol, etc etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast