• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AR Pistol build finished....

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Aero Precision Pistol lower - 140$
Completed railed upper - 80$
YHM lowpro gas block - 24$
YHM quad rail, charging handle, Phantom flash hider, and YHM cap - $140
7.5" barrel and pistol gas tube - 150$
Pistol buffer tube - 40$
BCG - 80$
MAGBUS sights - 100$
10 - 30 rd. ProMag polymer mags - 80$

For a grand total of $834 .. (not including tax)

CHEAPEST 'built' AR pistol is ~900$, and that's using all oly stuff, with no rail, basic iron sights, etc..

I customized it with quality components, and TEN mags, and still spent 70$ less!

build3.jpg

build2.jpg

Wanna talk about balance?!

build4.jpg

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

WOW :what:Daddy Like:celebrate

Question 1: How can a person OC that bad boy? I'm guessing a sling will not qualify as holstered?

Question2: Can you make a custom leg holster and be good in the hood with the POPO? Or at least comply with the RCW?

Question3: Can you have a fatty drum mag hanging off that SOB when you OC? I guess yes.

P.S. I don't talk gangster. It just felt right at the time. The questions are legitimate though.

EDIT: BTW it makes a very elegant centerpiece. It really draws the dinning room together.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
Iron_Colonel wrote:
Looks neat and like fun, but how practical is it? Or did you do it for a fun project plinker?
think of it as a CC legal rifle plus car carry loaded with CPL!!
We have a weiner!!!!

It's a pistol, so follows all laws regarding pistols..

Including loaded car carry, and concealment....

Practical, maybe not, but it can be concealed pretty decently under a coat or suit coat one size larger.......

According to the ATF, the buffer tube is NOT a stock, and since the lower is registered as a pistol, with a barrel shorter than 16", and designed to fire with one hand (it surely can!) it's classified as a pistol...

Can't put a forward grip on it because then it would be an AOW.....Can't put a butt stock on it because it then becomes an SBR, which is illegal in WA, not to mention the tax stamp..

It's my bug out gun..... small, accurate to 200 yards, uses a rifle round...only downside is velocity... 1800-2200 FPS instead of your usual 3000 FPS, which means less fragmentation....

Legally, I can put a bi-pod on it.... but not a grip....:uhoh:

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:
WOW :what:Daddy Like:celebrate

Question 1: How can a person OC that bad boy? I'm guessing a sling will not qualify as holstered?

Question2: Can you make a custom leg holster and be good in the hood with the POPO? Or at least comply with the RCW?

Question3: Can you have a fatty drum mag hanging off that SOB when you OC? I guess yes.

P.S. I don't talk gangster. It just felt right at the time. The questions are legitimate though.
Can I OC it? Technically, yes.

Will I? No. Serves no purpose, just scares the sheeple and does nothing to further the cause. There are holsters made for them though....

As far as the drum mag....

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/I_GvbcRby54[/flash]

Fo' shizzle my nizzle

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/uL_mlvnw21g[/flash]

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

You suck... Now I want one. I will have to find a way to conceal it comfortably tho... lol.

I like your sights too.

Can you put up a link to the sights? I cant find them with a quick Google search.

69Charger

imported post

I tried to CC my AK47. Just couldn't find the right holster . :)
Dave

AlexDW010.jpg

massivedesign

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
Iron_Colonel wrote:
Looks neat and like fun, but how practical is it? Or did you do it for a fun project plinker?
think of it as a CC legal rifle plus car carry loaded with CPL!!
We have a weiner!!!!

It's a pistol, so follows all laws regarding pistols..

Including loaded car carry, and concealment....

Practical, maybe not, but it can be concealed pretty decently under a coat or suit coat one size larger.......

According to the ATF, the buffer tube is NOT a stock, and since the lower is registered as a pistol, with a barrel shorter than 16", and designed to fire with one hand (it surely can!) it's classified as a pistol...

Can't put a forward grip on it because then it would be an AOW.....Can't put a butt stock on it because it then becomes an SBR, which is illegal in WA, not to mention the tax stamp..

It's my bug out gun..... small, accurate to 200 yards, uses a rifle round...only downside is velocity... 1800-2200 FPS instead of your usual 3000 FPS, which means less fragmentation....

Legally, I can put a bi-pod on it.... but not a grip....:uhoh:

What about a grip-pod?
l_100003633_1.jpg

Dreamer

imported post

That is a very cool build. Thanks for the parts list--it is very helpful.

However, I'm having a heck of a time finding the Aero pistol receivers. Can you also give us a list of sources and suppliers with the parts list?

Thanks,

Tawnos

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
That is a very cool build. Thanks for the parts list--it is very helpful.

However, I'm having a heck of a time finding the Aero pistol receivers. Can you also give us a list of sources and suppliers with the parts list?

Thanks,
https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=33&zenid=f0aaec1c95d1f2f107cf9e9d5a5160e6

Pick em up in person, you can have them transfer to you as a pistol, frame, or rifle.

*edit* Assuming you're in the area. Else, you need to have your FFL process the receiver as either "frame" or "pistol" when you get it transferred.

Dreamer

imported post

The only AeroPrecision complete lower I can find is this one:

https://surplusammo.com/index.php?m...id=503&zenid=f0aaec1c95d1f2f107cf9e9d5a5160e6

And it's not specifically designated as a "pistol lower". I thought that to do an AR-pistol build, you had to buy a lower that was specifically manufactured and marked as a "pistol" lower.

Am I incorrect in this belief? Or would I just tell the seller that I wanted it for a pistol build, and they would mark and transfer it accordingly?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Dreamer wrote:

https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=503&zenid=f0aaec1c95d1f2f107cf9e9d5a5160e6

And it's not specifically designated as a "pistol lower". I thought that to do an AR-pistol build, you had to buy a lower that was specifically manufactured and marked as a "pistol" lower.

Am I incorrect in this belief? Or would I just tell the seller that I wanted it for a pistol build, and they would mark and transfer it accordingly?
A receiver is exactly that... Not a pistol, or a rifle... It is what you make it.

You can turn a pistol into a rifle, but you can NOT take a rifle and turn it into a pistol.

You do not need a 'pistol' lower, I paid 10$ extra to get mine labeled 'pistol', because officers around here don't know the laws, should there be any questions, the fact that it's labeled 'PISTOL' should give them a clue...

I can still throw a barrel 16" or longer on it, and call it a rifle, but I can't then put the pistol barrel back onto it later (according to the ATF). However, there was a supreme court case that says otherwise, the ATF says 'that doesn't count'... LOL

If the manufacturer EVER put that lower on an upper with a stock and 16" barrel, then it can NEVER become a pistol (according to ATF), so you need a VIRGIN receiver that has NEVER been fitted to an upper.. Some companies test their lowers with rifle uppers, so if that was the case, even though the upper is sold as a receiver, and you never knew it was a 'rifle', technically you'd be guilty of a felony because it was once a rifle, and you turned it into a pistol....

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

https://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=503&zenid=f0aaec1c95d1f2f107cf9e9d5a5160e6

A receiver is exactly that... Not a pistol, or a rifle... It is what you make it.

You can turn a pistol into a rifle, but you can NOT take a rifle and turn it into a pistol.

You do not need a 'pistol' lower, I paid 10$ extra to get mine labeled 'pistol', because officers around here don't know the laws, should there be any questions, the fact that it's labeled 'PISTOL' should give them a clue...

I can still throw a barrel 16" or longer on it, and call it a rifle, but I can't then put the pistol barrel back onto it later (according to the ATF). However, there was a supreme court case that says otherwise, the ATF says 'that doesn't count'... LOL

If the manufacturer EVER put that lower on an upper with a stock and 16" barrel, then it can NEVER become a pistol (according to ATF), so you need a VIRGIN receiver that has NEVER been fitted to an upper.. Some companies test their lowers with rifle uppers, so if that was the case, even though the upper is sold as a receiver, and you never knew it was a 'rifle', technically you'd be guilty of a felony because it was once a rifle, and you turned it into a pistol....

I'm a noob at gun building, but I really like the idea of doing this. What I can glean from the net about this is that you must procure a newlower with the serial numbers on it from a licenced dealer. This part is critical. The rest of the parts can be a random conglomeration of newparts that correctly fit with in the category of what it takes to make it apistol.

Is this correct?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

I'm a noob at gun building, but I really like the idea of doing this. What I can glean from the net about this is that you must procure a newlower with the serial numbers on it from a licenced dealer. This part is critical. The rest of the parts can be a random conglomeration of newparts that correctly fit with in the category of what it takes to make it apistol.

Is this correct?

Generally, yes.

Dreamer

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

OK, I get it. I know about the "once it's had a stock and long barrel on it, it can't be a pistol" silliness. But I was unclear as to the nature of how a new receiver got the "pistol" designation.

So, if I purchased a raw receiver from out of state for a pistol build--through my local FFL of course--would such a receiver need to be transferred as a pistol, with all the attending paperwork?

I'm assuming "yes"...

Is the "pistol" marking painted on, or is it actually engraved/punched into the receiver?

I'm interested in having my future build Duracoated, so I'd prefer the "pistol" marking to be engraved, so it would still be visible after the Duracoating was applied...

Thanks for all the great info!

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

OK, I get it. I know about the "once it's had a stock and long barrel on it, it can't be a pistol" silliness. But I was unclear as to the nature of how a new receiver got the "pistol" designation.

So, if I purchased a raw receiver from out of state for a pistol build--through my local FFL of course--would such a receiver need to be transferred as a pistol, with all the attending paperwork?

I'm assuming "yes"...

Is the "pistol" marking painted on, or is it actually engraved/punched into the receiver?

I'm interested in having my future build Duracoated, so I'd prefer the "pistol" marking to be engraved, so it would still be visible after the Duracoating was applied...

Thanks for all the great info!
FFL fills 4473 as 'other', and also fill out state pistol paperwork. AFAIK, you really don't need to do the pistol paperwork, since at that point it is just a receiver. I, however, decided to fill it out as a pistol, should there be any 'issues' later on, it would be clearly 'registered' as a pistol.... Yes, it's illegal to keep my 'registration', but DOL WILL keep it, illegally....

I honestly wanna see what happens when someone runs my DL/CPL and have the officer scratch his head as to why I have an AR pistol, and where I'm hiding it, HAHAHA..

The marking is lightly engraved and paint filled. I would not expect it to be visible after painting though, it feels laser etched.