• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

THIS IS THE MAN WHO HATES GUNS AND THE AMERICAN WAY.

Haz.

imported post

Until 1996, the Federal Government had little role in firearms law.

Note, Federation and the rise of regulation in the 20th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia#Firearms_in_Australian_history

According to The British Bill of Rights, Australia, as a member of the British Commonwealth withthe Queen of Englandas our Head of State and our prim minister answerable to the Australian Governor General, who is answerable to the Queen of England, Gun laws were the responsibility of each colony and since Federation in 1901, of each state.

The Commonwealth does not have constitutional authority over firearms.

This is just another of many reasons the government wants the people to vote to make Australia a republic, to get rid of the Queen and the Westminster System of Law.

In steps John Howard. Following the Port Arthur massacre, the Howard Government (1996–2007), with strong media and public support, enforced uniform gun laws on the states. Despite his strong support for the USA on many other issues, former Prime Minister John Howard frequently referred to the USA to explain his opposition to civilian firearms ownership and use in Australia, stating that he did not want Australia to go "down the American path".

In one interview on Sydney radio station 2GB he said "we will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns... ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia".

In a television interview shortly before the tenth anniversary of the Port Arthur massacre, he reaffirmed his stance: "I did not want Australia to go down the American path. There are some things about America I admire and there are some things I don't. And one of the things I don't admire about America is their... slavish love of guns. They're evil".[suP] [/suP]During the same television interview, Prime Minister Howard also stated that he saw the outpouring of grief in the aftermath of the Port Arthur massacre as "an opportunity to grab the moment and think about a fundamental change to gun laws in this country".

Gun control has been a source of some friction between the National Party and the Liberal Party, who together formed the coalition Federal Government from 1996 to 2007. The National Party had strong support from rural voters, many of whom were opposed to the Federal government's moves towards gun control. The 1996 National Firearms Agreement has been blamed for the defeat of the National Party in the 1998 Queensland elections and generating much of the support for the 1997 rise of the One Nation Party.

In the November 2007 Federal election, the Australian Labor Party replaced the Liberal Party in government. The new Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has personally indicated support for the shooting sports (Rudd was a patron of the shooting clubs at the Belmont shooting complex in Rudd's Brisbane electorate and Rudd was an active clay target shooter when he was younger) but Labor's policy is to continue supporting the National Agreement on Firearms.

John Howard made this a personal issue. He doesnt just hate guns, he owns guns himself. He hated the fact that ordinary law abiding citizens of Australia also had guns and he was frightened of the Australian people.Howard wore abullet-proof vestto a rally of farmers in Queensland trying to explain why he banned guns.

The audience at a meeting turned their backs on him, Howard was furious, .... No one turnes their backs on him, he was the Prim Minister.
And in Victoria;

ABC Policical Reporter, MATT BROWN . . . . There will be plenty of National Party MP's at the State and Federal level sceptical of a clamp down, remembering the heat they had to wear after the Port Arthur Massacre. And they all remember John Howard wearing a bullet proof vest to a public meeting on gun control at Sale in Victoria.
"John Howard, I hate guns... ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia".

Well he hates all guns except his own according to this personally signed picture.

Haz.

AL Ranger

imported post

Haz, we feel for you, brother! We have plenty of of own "John Howards" here in the US. The hypocrites claim to revere the 2A but their votes always seem to go the wrong way. They always talk about "hunting or sport shooting" but they never touch on self-defense. The one thing that remains constant is their hypocrisy. They can own guns, have access to guns, use guns for recreational purposes, have guns for protection, but they hate and distrust their fellow man and will not allow them to have guns. They are elitist who think "we are the sheep and they are the shepherds" when, in reality, "we are the employers and they are the employed".

If there is anything we can do over here you help you, please don't hesitate to ask.

since9

Campaign Veteran
[Howard] said "we will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns... ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia".

Well, if you manage to boot him our of Australia, please don't send him here! We wouldn't want that sort of disease polluting the foundations of our country.

John Howard made this a personal issue. He doesnt just hate guns, he owns guns himself. He hated the fact that ordinary law abiding citizens of Australia also had guns and he was frightened of the Australian people.

What an elitist hypocrite!

Howard wore abullet-proof vestto a rally of farmers in Queensland trying to explain why he banned guns.

The audience at a meeting turned their backs on him...

Good for them!

Howard was furious. No one turnes their backs on him, he was the Prim Minister.

Oh, Boo HOO, mr prime minister! If you thumbed your nose at me the way you do your own people, I'd turn my back on you as well!