• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tolerance

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

open4years wrote:
I do appreciate ALL of the posts here. Some of the posts seem to represent the type of language that I'm proposing that we modify so our replies are not sarcastic and hurtful; Some talk down to others in a sad attempt to prove they are wiser than others. I believe the majority of us can see through all of that or, as one said, we can read between the lines.

If some members are not familiar with the meaning of seldom used words, isn't the right thing to do is to use more common words? I'll admit there was a word, in this thread, that I also checked the dictionary to see if what I thought it meant was right. Anyone can have a dictionary out while they post, but this forum isn't about expanding our vocabulary!

I'm afraid that my post hasn't changed anything.
+1

Dreamer

imported post

The Free Exchange of Ideas in a Public Forum is ALL about expanding one's mind.

If we learn a few new words along the way, then so much the better.

A forum such as this should not just be about learning the laws, or discussing rights, or talking about our hardware.

A Forum such as this SHOULD be educational. If people can't deal with that, then maybe they just need to subscribe to "Guns and Ammo" and be spoon-fed their information.

Minds, like parachutes, function best when they are open...

sudden valley gunner

imported post

What's a dictionary? ;)

I know what he is saying though, I don't mind looking up a few words here and there but some sentences are strong together using such seldom used words that it really detracts from what the poster is really saying.

I like to look at the constitution many of these guys were well educated but kept it simple and easy to read and to understand, which frustrates many of our modern day "elite" who want to "interpret" the constitution.

Old Grump

imported post

I have no problem having to go to a dictionary or encyclopedia. As an older dinosaur type I regret the loss of vocabulary and spelling skills or younger people, (mostly people under 50 who are a product of the public school system and believe books are for fixing wobbly tables), sorry but you know who I mean.

The posts I have problems with are the single long run-on sentence with no paragraph breaks, little or badly used punctuation, and very proudly presented in large letters, all caps and in bold print. No matter how good the point is I just cannot make myself read more than a line or two of those posts.

At least a well written post with an idea or concept can be read, digested and discussed. A little less vitriol would be welcome most of the time but I admit to using it myself on occasion. Some posts just get to you and once the buttons are pushed you have to react or walk away. I am ashamed that sometimes I don't walk away.

Calling a person stupid is just a fool calling a dope an idiot.

Just dos centavos from an old dinosaur

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dreamer wrote:

A forum such as this should not just be about learning the laws, or discussing rights, or talking about our hardware.

A Forum such as this SHOULD be educational. If people can't deal with that, then maybe they just need to subscribe to "Guns and Ammo" and be spoon-fed their information.

ya, educational...ABOUT gun issues & Rights....not the big word of the day...if you want to learn BIG words go take a college class, ok.....THIS is not the place for it.

Who reads Guns and Ammo ??!! SWAT magazine is the only decent magazine out now... Guns & Ammo ....LOL

DMWyatt

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Dreamer wrote:

ya, educational...ABOUT gun issues & Rights....not the big word of the day...if you want to learn BIG words go take a college class, ok.....THIS is not the place for it.

Who reads Guns and Ammo ??!! SWAT magazine is the only decent magazine out now... Guns & Ammo ....LOL
It would seem to me that a forum, dedicated to an action which requires a good understanding of the construction of law, color of law, and meaning of terms used in law, might be a place where one would expect to see seldom used terms come into a discussion. Both the English language and law of the land are generally common to everyone on this forum. There is no reason why one should expect anyone else to cater to a willful ignorance of either.

When someone comes onto the forum with a question concerning local law, the response is usually to point them in the direction of local codes and ordinances. Why should it be such an imposition to expect someone to pick up a dictionary once in a while? I can agree that someone making a habit of using outdated and excessively obscure words in general conversation is annoying, but I can't fault someone for using a correct term, in correct context, simply because I didn't understand it the first time I read it.

Old Grump

imported post

ya, educational...ABOUT gun issues & Rights....not the big word of the day...if you want to learn BIG words go take a college class, ok.....THIS is not the place for it. Who reads Guns and Ammo ??!! SWAT magazine is the only decent magazine out now... Guns & Ammo ....LOL

We understand sir. If you do not have the mental capacity for it or the inclination to learn and improve yourself you may stay where you are. As long as you are comfortable with your stagnant point of view we wish you nothing but the best.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Old Grump wrote:
ya, educational...ABOUT gun issues & Rights....not the big word of the day...if you want to learn BIG words go take a college class, ok.....THIS is not the place for it. Who reads Guns and Ammo ??!! SWAT magazine is the only decent magazine out now... Guns & Ammo ....LOL

We understand sir. If you do not have the mental capacity for it or the inclination to learn and improve yourself you may stay where you are. As long as you are comfortable with your stagnant point of view we wish you nothing but the best.
LOL, old Grump.......This is A FORUM IN WHICH WE TALK open carry & Gun Rights.....Nothing more. SO if we are talking about learning about the Laws , Open carry & gun rights then let's do it........But your insinuating that I have a limited capacity for learning is very false. If i wanted to seek higher education I would attend a school, ok. This is open carry.org NOT HARVARD. Legal terminology should be the ONLY big words used here, since 98 % of us are not lawyers, let's keep the the wording we use here as easy to read & understand as possible. Sure I can start using big words all the time, but why ? to make myself out to be smart? like some here attempt to do ? I am a pretty intelligent person, but I see no need to use BIG words when everyday words work just fine...

I guess common sense is lost on the over educated...:?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Interesting thing is though once you expand your vocabulary and find the perfect words that fit and describe what you are talking about you can't help but use it.

I do see your point though, sometimes the point the poster is making is totally lost by not using at least some everyday language and a few times looks like it is done on purpose to show how much superior mentally the poster feels he is.

So when this is done those of us who are smart but without college education can just ask "Can you put that in lay-man's terms please?" I just tend to look at a dictionary though why feed the hubris.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Interesting thing is though once you expand your vocabulary and find the perfect words that fit and describe what you are talking about you can't help but use it.

I do see your point though, sometimes the point the poster is making is totally lost by not using at least some everyday language and a few times looks like it is done on purpose to show how much superior mentally the poster feels he is.

So when this is done those of us who are smart but without college education can just ask "Can you put that in lay-man's terms please?" I just tend to look at a dictionary though why feed the hubris.
True, they can't help...

open4years

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Old Grump wrote:

We understand sir.  If you do not have the mental capacity for it or the inclination to learn and improve yourself you may stay where you are.  As long as you are comfortable with your stagnant point of view we wish you nothing but the best. 
LOL, old Grump.......This is A FORUM IN WHICH WE TALK open carry & Gun Rights.....Nothing more. SO if we are talking about learning
about the Laws , Open carry & gun rights then let's do it........But your insinuating that I have a limited capacity for learning is very false. If i wanted to seek higher education I would attend a school, ok.  This is open carry.org NOT HARVARD.  Legal terminology should be the ONLY big words used here, since  98 % of us are not lawyers, let's keep the the wording we use here as easy to read & understand as possible.
Sure I can start using big words all the time, but why ? to make myself
out to be smart?   like some here attempt to do ? I am a pretty intelligent person, but I see no need to use  BIG words when everyday words work just fine..

I guess common sense is lost on the over educated...:?

Actually, I believe the ones that use such words are not over educated, but under educated. They "try" to appear more educated, than they are, by using words that most of us never hear in normal conversation.

I'm fortunate to have a good education and a very challenging career, in which words were used daily that the vast majority have never heard of.

Do you see me using them here? No, because I have nothing to prove
nor do I feel the need to show that I know such words. I've had I.Q. tests and I don't feel the need to impress, on you, how high the outcome was.

Give me a well written post, with decent spelling, good sentence
construction, with paragraph breaks and then, I am impressed.
We all make mistakes. I've been embarrassed by posts of mine, where I made spelling errors on words I know well. But, that happens. Even more so when using an iPhone and having neurological problems that cause my fingers to spasm. My recent concussion and minor brain bleed hasn't helped matters.

When I see spelling errors, I'm not bothered by them and I assume that they are typing errors first. I can deal with poor sentence construction, etc. What I can not deal with is long posts with no paragraph breaks, as was already mentioned, Throw in bold, blue text and your post will not
be read by me. It honestly triggers a migraine most times I attempt to read such posts.

I think expanding one's vocabulary is great. Most younger people only know a few words, which include: "like," "he went," "I went," etc. But, I don't come to this forum to increase my vocabulary, I want to exchange
thoughts and experiences with fellow gun owners and those who open carry. Someone else can create an "expand your vocabulary" forum.

eye95

imported post

Ummm...what's hubris? :p

sudden valley gunner

imported post

eye95 wrote:

A word I had to look up when someone used it here. (Really) LOL.

slowfiveoh

imported post

It is my personal opinion, that too many people are quick to judge another human being based on their often 2nd or 3rd-hand version of things.

I also do not believe that people place enough emphasis on the nuances of speech, regardless of language, and the deep meaning of the most words.

As a human being, with an uncountably complicated amount of emotions, how can you be content with sharing your true feelings by using the same adjectives over and over again?

Sorry people, but sad, is not sad, is not sad.

For those who dismiss the importance of words, consider that the great scholars of our day, and indeed our forefathers, would mull over single words, or small phrases for months at a time on some occasions. Words are so incredibly important!

When it comes to the clarity of words, I think we can agree that disambiguation is a totally necessary evil, and is not in any way going above or beyond what a conversation may call for.

Being able to convey with precision, the way one feels, through the use of careful word selection and sentence composition, can mean everything to your listener.

More importantly, it can help lead to a meaningful interpretation.

As for tolerance, well, there is an obvious tie-in there.

A lot of us have different "levels" of tolerance.

For example:

Some people right now are reading this and going, "Oh shut up. Who cares man, you are over complicating things."

That's their prerogative.

My .02

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
It is my personal opinion, that too many people are quick to judge another human being based on their often 2nd or 3rd-hand version of things.

I also do not believe that people place enough emphasis on the nuances of speech, regardless of language, and the deep meaning of the most words.

As a human being, with an uncountably complicated amount of emotions, how can you be content with sharing your true feelings by using the same adjectives over and over again?

Sorry people, but sad, is not sad, is not sad.

For those who dismiss the importance of words, consider that the great scholars of our day, and indeed our forefathers, would mull over single words, or small phrases for months at a time on some occasions. Words are so incredibly important!

When it comes to the clarity of words, I think we can agree that disambiguation is a totally necessary evil, and is not in any way going above or beyond what a conversation may call for.

Being able to convey with precision, the way one feels, through the use of careful word selection and sentence composition, can mean everything to your listener.

More importantly, it can help lead to a meaningful interpretation.

As for tolerance, well, there is an obvious tie-in there.

A lot of us have different "levels" of tolerance.

For example:

Some people right now are reading this and going, "Oh shut up. Who cares man, you are over complicating things."

That's their prerogative.

My .02
yeah, your right on the money there...any one else with a bunch of blah, blah, blah ?? or can we get back to open carry stuff now...because this has nothing to do with OPEN CARRY.

Dreamer

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
eye95 wrote:
It is the sacrament performed by a mohel.
This one actually made me snort my Mountain Dew.

Doug--you demented bastard... I hate you...

But keep it up. You make all this foolishness worthwhile!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Old Grump

imported post

LOL, old Grump.......This is A FORUM IN WHICH WE TALK open carry & Gun Rights.....Nothing more. SO if we are talking about learning about the Laws , Open carry & gun rights then let's do it........But your insinuating that I have a limited capacity for learning is very false. If i wanted to seek higher education I would attend a school, ok. This is open carry.org NOT HARVARD. Legal terminology should be the ONLY big words used here, since 98 % of us are not lawyers, let's keep the the wording we use here as easy to read & understand as possible. Sure I can start using big words all the time, but why ? to make myself out to be smart? like some here attempt to do ? I am a pretty intelligent person, but I see no need to use BIG words when everyday words work just fine... I guess common sense is lost on the over educated...:?

Just an old country boy who has come to realize some of the most educated people I know do not have degrees in higher education, do not have a string of initials after their name and do not have more than a few college classes, if any, picked up here and there. You do not have to be a lawyer to write legalese that is only beautiful to your representative in court because he can make it mean whatever he wants it to mean.

You do have to be intelligent to write a nice short concise sentence and sometimes it just calls for a word that isn't in your every day go to work, to the bar, to the grocery store vocabulary. Vocabulary is a tool and it is a shame to not use it when it is available. Would a 'Good' Mechanic use his best wrench for a pry bar, can opener, hammer? We have a rich language, use it.

If a man is talking to me about a problem with his firearm it is nice to be able to have him describe the problem using the correct nomenclature for the parts involved and the proper description of the failure. Sometimes simple problems are easily fixed if they are accurately described and sometimes minor problems take on major problem status because two men cannot communicate. One doesn't have the vocabulary and the other refuces to talk down and put it in lay mens terms, tis a shame.