• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maine's Press Herald - Open carry Open carry trash pickup "gives back to the community&

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-England-Dispatches.html

PORTLAND

Last month’s “open carry” event at Back Cove attracted several dozen people with holstered guns, but a follow-up “trash and carry” gathering Saturday drew only a handful of participants.

Both events were designed to exercise the right to bear arms, but Saturday’s included a trash pickup instead of the social gathering that was the focus in late April.

Shane Belanger, the University of Maine student who helped organize both events, said the trash pick-up component was intended both to give back to the community and to get more people comfortable with the idea that Mainers are allowed to carry arms as they go about most everyday events.

Norman Hamann, 25, of Lyman, said he liked the fact that the trash pick-up was part of Saturday’s gathering, since he felt the April get-together turned into more of a gun-owners rights rally than he had hoped.

SNIP

cassterr

imported post

I would like to participate in something like this here in the Portland metro area or its immediate surroundings. There are also some very popular shooting places in our states forests that could use some help. I'm not much of an event organizer though and between work, school, and family I don't have the motivation to do it alone.

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

cassterr wrote:
I would like to participate in something like this here in the Portland metro area or its immediate surroundings. There are also some very popular shooting places in our states forests that could use some help. I'm not much of an event organizer though and between work, school, and family I don't have the motivation to do it alone.
I do! :) as soon as this website gets up we're going to do another event!

hightecrebel

imported post

cassterr wrote:

Do you mean Portland, ME or Portland, OR? Just trying to be sure. Had wonderful 10 minute conversation with someone trying to find out if we ever visited the same places before we realized we were talking about different Portland's. Took us that long to move beyond hole-in-the-wall local hang outs.

cassterr

imported post

hightecrebel wrote:
cassterr wrote:

Do you mean Portland, ME or Portland, OR? Just trying to be sure. Had wonderful 10 minute conversation with someone trying to find out if we ever visited the same places before we realized we were talking about different Portland's. Took us that long to move beyond hole-in-the-wall local hang outs.

I meant Portland, OR. I can see how my post could be read either way. This thread (as I am viewing it) is listed under Oregon. I wasn't sure if it was posted here by mistake (the article showcases another state's citizens) or to recognize fellow OC'ers for volunteering in their community. At any rate I would still like to participate in something like this here in the Portland, Oregon metro area.