• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High Power Rifle match - AAR - Quantico - May 15

W.E.G.

imported post

High Power Rifle match - AAR - Quantico - May 15

$50 match entry fee.

Got there by 0645 for the advised 0700 muster.
Match was supposed to start at 0800.
First shot was actually 0920.
Something about the military group on Range 3 causing hold-up via Range Control.

I believe we had 6 active targets.
4 shooters per target.
Many “big” shooters were apparently at the big hoop-te-doo at Butner this weekend.

Shooters pulled pits. Two pit changes across the course.
Friction-condition on the target carriers was the suck. Somebody scared-up a can of WD-40, which got my target moving nicely – by about 1600.

Overall pretty happy with my score – considering I have not shot an XTC match at Quantico since 1999.
I held up well physically - not feeling today like I was run-over by a truck – maybe just like a Mini-Cooper. So far, only Advil.
Too beat to go back for more today at the team match.

Very windy (for Quantico) to start the match – pretty steady about ~14 mph wind from 10 o’clock. I shot a bunch of 7’s.

Forgot how dark those targets can be by the afternoon.
Sun was in 10 o’clock position relative to targets by the 300 yard line.

600-yard target (firing on target point 20 – Range 4) was very low on the berm.
By the time I was holding 6 o’clock on that dark target, it looked almost like I was holding top-of-the-berm. Got that sorted-out by the second string at 600, but was REAL weird on the first string.

Last shot downrange was after 1800 hrs.

XTC-2010-05-15.jpg

I’m not crazy about QSC’s Match Director’s policy of having first-string, rapid-fire alibis fired during scoring of the first string. This is a modification of the NRA rule – and not a modification I support.

At 300 prone, I ended up having to lie in-position between my first and second string while some numb-nutz fired a double-alibi for his first string. Not ungodly hot yesterday, but I was uncomfortable for the ten minutes I was forced to lie in position, in the afternoon sun, waiting for numb-nutz to sort-out his shit. I shot a decent group for that second string, but it was not centered – which I attribute to my elbow and shoulder being numb from lying there waiting for numb-nutz. I hope this shoot-alibi-during-scoring idea gets dumped. Stick with true NRA rules.

Next Quantico individual XTC match is Saturday – another 800 Agg.
Virginia State Championship.
Long-range (1000 yards) is Friday – Individuals Saturday – Teams Sunday