• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Florida

nick1207

imported post

I have a CCL in the state of Kentucky.. My question is what do i have to do to get my FL, CCL I plna on moving to FL in June

brboyer

imported post

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

A photo copy of your Kentucky CCL will suffice for proof of Firearm Competency.

Appointments at the regional FDACS centers are currently 6 weeks out + about two weeks processing. Mailing in to Tallahassee take about 3 weeks processing.

So I would order the application and fingerprint card now, fill out and send in before the move. Once you get a Florida address, you can do an online address change.

JeepSeller

imported post

mnick,

Just to back up what brboyer said, go ahead and order your application packet now. Fill it out, get your fingerprint card done at your local sheriff or police station and send it in with your check. You'll have your license in your hand long before you're loading the moving van.

For clarification, since there is often some confusion with this fact, there is ZERO difference between the FL CWFL you'll get living there and the one you'd get here with a FL address, especially, since they no longer put your address on your license. The difference between an in state and an out of state license is simply YOUR state of residence. Technically, a Florida out of state license does not exist, but, for the purpose of state's recipricocity, other states will consider your license an out of state one if your residence is not in Florida.

When you get to FL, go online and simply change your address. Simple and done, takes less than a minute or two online and costs nothing unless you need to order some sort of replacement license for some reason other than a change of address. (remember, your address isn't on your license)

You'll find everything you need here along with how to order your application.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

Best I know, brboyer is correct, a copy of your current license should suffice for proof of training.

Good luck, and a safe move. If you have any questions filling it out, don't hesitate to ask. If I don't know, I'm willing to bet someone else here does. :lol:

nick1207

imported post

I got my application in the mail today.. What i need to know is how long is my Kentucky CCDW good for once i become a resident of Florida.. I thought what i seen was like 90 days.. I have no address yet in Florida because i am still looking for a House.

nick1207

imported post

and also can i do my own finger printing.. or do i have to take the finger print card to the police station and let them do it?

brboyer

imported post

Fingerprints must be done at a Law Enforcement agency.

90 days is correct, but there are specific things that you'd have to do like register a car or enroll yourself or kids in school....don't recall off the top of my head and my legal reference site is down.

JeepSeller

imported post

Florida honors your Kentucky permit. So, you could continue to use it once you get here if you choose. You'll have to check and see what your state requires of you should you change your address. In Florida with our permit, we have 30 days to change our address. So long as KY allows non KY residents to hold a KY permit, you honestly don't need a FL one, unless you just want it. As I say, Florida honors your KY permit.

Since you're moving in a month or less, I'd just waittill you get here tobe honest. You can ride on your KY permit till you get your FL one. Once you get here, you can either make an appointment with the closest regional office, or send in your packet. If you go to the office, they handle everything. You just take your proof of training and your checkbook. They take your picture, help you apply on the computer there, take your fingerprints, notorize everything..the works.

If you're going by mail, and wait til you get here, most Sheriffs offices and PD's are doing electronic fingerprints now. You probably won't even need that card, but, take it just to be safe.

Make copies of EVERYTHING if you can, especially if by mail. Send registered return receipt, that way you have peace of mind knowing it made it and when.

MarkWalther

imported post

The wife and I sent ours via postal mail. She got hers in 3 weeks, mine in about 4 1/2.

When we called asking for an appt they told us they were out to July. That was in late March.

We did the finger print cards/photos at the Brevard County Sheriffs office. No line, no waiting, in and out.

Good luck.

MW

nick1207

imported post

Wil my certificate from my ccdw class in KY be good in FL? I hope dont have to take it again

brboyer

imported post

mnick426 wrote:
Wil my certificate from my ccdw class in KY be good in FL? I hope dont have to take it again
A photocopy of your current KY CCW will be sufficient. I would enlarge it a bit to make more legible.