• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-mart

twodogs

imported post

After attending the LaCrosse picnic, I stopped into my Black River Falls Wal-Mart and asked 2 employees if their store allows open carry of handguns. Their response was, "No weapons are allowed in the store".

Does anyone know what Wal-Mart's policy is in this issue?

THANKS

t33j

imported post

Why'd you ask?

I believe Walmart's corporate policy is essentially, place no further restrictions than state law.

younggun20

imported post

Ive been told before it is to follow state law. However lately we have been hearing alot of reports that it is the managers decision at that time

twodogs

imported post

Q) Why'd you ask?

A) I was on a fact finding mission to see what kind of response I would get.

Q) I believe Walmart's corporate policy is essentially, place no further restrictions than state law.

If that isthe case, do you have any evidence to substantiate that belief?

eye95

imported post

If you ask, people will be taken aback. Folks who do not know (such as employees) will, of course, say no. Just carry. Those employees who told you no will now likely quietly ask each other, "Can he do that?" and tell each other, "I don't know!"

Worst case scenario, you are asked to leave.

BTW, seach the site for Wal-Mart. This question has been answered again and again.

Wal-Mart officially follows State law. I OC in there all the time.

t33j

imported post

Doesn't look like you got a proper welcome to the forum (my apologies) but rest assured we're glad to have another OCer on board. :celebrate

:Welcome: :D

SavageOne

imported post

Wal Mart's policy is to follow local and state law. If it's legal to OC were you live then the corp. policy is it's OK to carry in their store. Now for the rest of the story.... Wal Mart also has a policy that a manager may ask any patron to leave for any reason. It has often been stated that the manager's will tell people that they can't carry in a store because it's posted and against corp policy. I have yet to hear one story where indeed it was posted. If you chose to OC in Wally World and are asked to leave by someone, I would comply but ask for a copy of the said corp. policy and the number of regional manager. I would then call the regional manager and email a customer feedback form.

http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Also welcome to the forum.:):):)

daddy4count

imported post

Look for a sign...

they have to post a "No Firearms" sign in a prominent position... otherwise how would you know?

The other thing is that they can always ask you to leave... sign or not...

Porter N

imported post

twodogs wrote:
After attending the LaCrosse picnic, I stopped into my Black River Falls Wal-Mart and asked 2 employees if their store allows open carry of handguns. Their response was, "No weapons are allowed in the store".

Does anyone know what Wal-Mart's policy is in this issue?

THANKS
I work at wal mart, and while i'm definitely no where near a managerial level, I've looked up their policy pertaining to associate carry. Their corporate policy for ME is that i cannot carry while on the clock, coming or leaving their property for official business, etc. BUT!!!!!!!

That is the extent of the limitations, updated APRIL 2010. it used to say associates couldnt EVER carry a firearm on walmart property.

Conclusion: because associates are ONLY prohibited from on-the-clock or official business carry and are allowed to carry when on wal-mart property across the country as shoppers, then it only stands to reason that any customer is also allowed to carry in the store.

While it is true that they are a private entity and can refuse to serve you if you do carry a firearm in their store, I carry a copy of AP-01 (internal policy) with me so if i'm stopped in a different wal mart, i can prove i'm an associate and am, in a way, protected via said policy.

open4years

imported post

I have never asked as I'm afraid the question would go up the ladder and THEN all Walmarts will have a no gun policy. I always OC in my Walmart and I have no problems. I did, have problems, when I first starting OCing. I went with a lower profile and a gun more like LE carries. A black gun, in a black holster on a black belt, really makes a huge difference.

ecocks

imported post

I have OC'd at all the Walmarts in Boise, Meridian, Nampa and Caldwell without any problems since arriving here in April of '09. This includes purchasing ammunition, being at the service counter, shopping for groceries, waiting on auto work to be performed and eating in their concessionaries locations.

Deathwing_Kingstar

imported post

I always OC at Wal-Mart here in California. Never had a problem, i even took the time once and talked to the store manager, he told me that there is no policy in there book that bans weapons. Tell them, a "firearm" is not a weapon until it is used as one.

groats

imported post

Tell me, please - before going to a store, do you stop and ask the following questions:

"Do you serve Negroes?"
"How about Jews?"
"Catholics?"
"Gays?"
"Handicapped persons?"
"Irish?"
"Gay black handicapped Irish Catholics?"

If not, why do you ask about guns?

A store manager can ask you to leave if they don't like your hat or for any other reason.
Do you call in advance to OK your choice of attire?

GET A GRIP, guys!
Don't freakin' ask.
What's wrong with you?

FedFirefighter

imported post

Right you are. I never ask, and have OC'd almost every kind of business including my bank and doctors office with no issues. Don't ask, just leave if asked to, which won't be often.

eye95

imported post

groats wrote:
Tell me, please - before going to a store, do you stop and ask the following questions:

"Do you serve Negroes?"
"How about Jews?"
"Catholics?"
"Gays?"
"Handicapped persons?"
"Irish?"
"Gay black handicapped Irish Catholics?"

If not, why do you ask about guns?

A store manager can ask you to leave if they don't like your hat or for any other reason.
Do you call in advance to OK your choice of attire?

GET A GRIP, guys!
Don't freakin' ask.
What's wrong with you?
That's a great way to look at it. I never ask, and the above is pretty much why, although I would never have thought to put it quite that way.

AL Ranger

imported post

The official word I recieved from Wal-Mart last month was that Wal-Mart follows the state laws concerning guns in their stores. However, like any private property, the manager can still ask you to leave or put the gun away in your car. Outside of that, you're good to go.

aadvark

imported post

I called Wal-Mart Corporate Office in Bentonville, Arkansas.

Their Official Policy is: '...Wal-Mart follows Federal and applicable State Law regarding Customers who Carry Firearms in our Stores.'

Since different States have different Laws, Wal-Mart has elected to follow State Law in regards to Customers who Carry, as different States allow different kinds of Carry, depending on whether it is done Openly or Concealed, or whether or not we are talking about a Handgun or Long-Gun, etc.