• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-mart

aadvark

imported post

Well..., they did not say that..., although I would have prefered a more direct answer.

Instead the Lady on the other end of the line carefully crafted Her words, but only after She spoke with someone (probably a Supervisor above Her) approxiamently 2 minutes after She put me on hold.

I know this because She said, '...I went to ask my [Boss], about this, uhhh, He said, we follow Federal and applicable State Law, Sir...'

Better than nothing I guess...

Wal-Mart can be reached at 1-800-WAL-MART.

***I have Carried on occasion in my Hometown Wal-Mart, and I have never caught any flak about it. The Manager is actually quite nice and impressionable.***

***I have heard that some other Wal-Mart Managers, however, are not as suseptable to Open Carry in their Stores.***

Being Private Property, I am well aware that Wal-Mart reserves the Right to ask anyone to leave at any time, for any reason. But, I have warned my Local Wal-Mart Manager,if they 'Roll Back' my Right to Open Carry, then, I will 'Roll Back' my Business with Wal-Mart. Needless tosay, He did not want that!

arentol

imported post

AL Ranger wrote:
The official word I recieved from Wal-Mart last month was that Wal-Mart follows the state laws concerning guns in their stores. However, like any private property, the manager can still ask you to leave or put the gun away in your car. Outside of that, you're good to go.

I can't seem to find the article or thread, but I swear I read some story here once before where some guy who was legally carrying in a Wal-mart was asked to put his firearm in his car by the manager. He did so, and when he came back out a few minutes later his car had been broken into and the gun stolen (by someone who followed him after the confrontation in the store). He ended up suing and Wal-mart settled, and changed the policy they had in place at that time to the current policy of following state law. Wish I could find a stupid link to it.

novasig226r

imported post

I ask myself: Is there a sign saying "No Firearms" or "[Concealed|Open] Carry Prohibited"? Am I within 1000' of a school?

If the sign says NO, then NO. If it says I can't carry concealed, I carry openly. If it says I can't carry openly, I carry concealed (VA requires a CHP to carry concealed). I am generally carrying openly, since it's getting warmer outside and I don't have a decent lightweight cover garment.

Basically, if it isn't posted, then I carry. If the owners/managers have a problem with me carrying a firearm, they would ask me to leave. I've never been asked to leave, but if I were I would do so politely. Causing a scene and threatening boycotts would only serve to label me a zealot and would leave everyone with a sour taste towards guns and gun ownership ("Look at that screaming idiot with the GUUUUNNNNN!").

Private property is private. I could be asked to leave for any reason at all. As I said, I've never been asked to leave a store yet. I smile to the staff. I smile to any customers who look my way. I dress nicely (i.e. no "witty phrases" on a t-shirt or natty jeans). I say please and thank you. Most folks see my pleasant demeanor and don't even take notice of (or simply ignore) my SIG. I believe being a "good guy" goes a long, long way to easing any irrational fears.

elixin77

imported post

But since walmart is a corporation, and the stock is publicly traded, doesn't that make the land public property then?

eye95

imported post

elixin77 wrote:
But since walmart is a corporation, and the stock is publicly traded, doesn't that make the land public property then?
No.

Public property is property owned by government entities.

sraacke

imported post

twodogs wrote:
After attending the LaCrosse picnic, I stopped into my Black River Falls Wal-Mart and asked 2 employees if their store allows open carry of handguns.
whywouldyoudothat_2.jpg

Lthrnck

imported post

I remember reading somewhere that in some states, Corporations are not private therefore they can not claim to be private property...they are Corporate Property and fall under different laws. Wish I could remember what thread I saw that on.

Anyone remember this.

Sleepless

imported post

Maybe a stupid question but seeing as Walmart is a Corporation and not a franchise, can Walmart actually tell their managers that due to the fact that Walmart follows state laws the managers aren't allowed to throw anybody out just because they are carrying a firearm??

Because I know that managers have some rights to eject people they don't want in the store, but can Walmart by saying that they follow state laws actually stop their managers and staff from using private property laws to throw somebody out because they are open carrying??

I hope my question is clear because it is 1 AM and I am so tired that I am feel like a zombie presently so if I ain't making myself clear then I will just blame my tiredness.