• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

noob questions about pistols

Tony Santiago

imported post

so i am a noob and have questions about a pistol. my friend just took me out and got me a ruger p95 in 9mm. he said it was a good first time gun owner.

a few questions i have are, in order for it to fire, does the hammer need to be cocked back?

when you insert the magazine with the slide closed, do you need to slide the slide in order put the round in the chamber? does that make the hammer go back?

are there any circumstances where you can make the gun fire with the safety on? even if there is a round in the chamber, and the safety is on, can the gun fire if you pull the trigger?

what happens if you chamber a round, and then slide the slide again?

how come when some people go shooting, they manually pull the hammer back after they fire? even on a double action gun, i have seen people manually pull the hammer back on some revolvers after they fire a shot

when people dry fire for practice, why do they pull the slide back after dry firing? does it make a difference?

Tawnos

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
so i am a noob and have questions about a pistol. my friend just took me out and got me a ruger p95 in 9mm. he said it was a good first time gun owner.

a few questions i have are, in order for it to fire, does the hammer need to be cocked back?

when you insert the magazine with the slide closed, do you need to slide the slide in order put the round in the chamber? does that make the hammer go back?

are there any circumstances where you can make the gun fire with the safety on? even if there is a round in the chamber, and the safety is on, can the gun fire if you pull the trigger?

what happens if you chamber a round, and then slide the slide again?

how come when some people go shooting, they manually pull the hammer back after they fire? even on a double action gun, i have seen people manually pull the hammer back on some revolvers after they fire a shot

when people dry fire for practice, why do they pull the slide back after dry firing? does it make a difference?
You've started more posts than me, yet I don't think I've ever seen you reply to your own posts. Are you really bored and just trolling this place because you have nothing better to do?

j2l3

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:

when you insert the magazine with the slide closed, do you need to slide the slide in order put the round in the chamber? does that make the hammer go back? YES

are there any circumstances where you can make the gun fire with the safety on? even if there is a round in the chamber, and the safety is on, can the gun fire if you pull the trigger? NO, unless the gun malfunctions. Rugers are not know for malfunction

what happens if you chamber a round, and then slide the slide again? The original round is ejected.

how come when some people go shooting, they manually pull the hammer back after they fire? even on a double action gun, i have seen people manually pull the hammer back on some revolvers after they fire a shot They are likely doing this to force concentration and steadiness. Everyone is different.

when people dry fire for practice, why do they pull the slide back after dry firing? does it make a difference? Muscle memory. Helps get used to pulling the slide back to chamber a round. Doing it even when dry firing helps build muscle memory and habit.

antispam540

imported post

So, I can't answer all the questions as I don't know that particular gun's features, but here goes.

a few questions i have are, in order for it to fire, does the hammer need to be cocked back? Yes. If the safety's off, though, depending on the safety method, bumping a non-cocked hammer the wrong way could knock the firing pin into the round in the chamber and cause it to go off. Check your manual to see the recommended way to carry your gun loaded.

when you insert the magazine with the slide closed, do you need to slide the slide in order put the round in the chamber? does that make the hammer go back? Yes, and try it with the gun empty.

are there any circumstances where you can make the gun fire with the safety on? even if there is a round in the chamber, and the safety is on, can the gun fire if you pull the trigger? Guns are specifically designed so that can't happen.

what happens if you chamber a round, and then slide the slide again? The round you chambered will pop out of the ejector port. If the magazine is empty, that's all that'll happen, but if it has more rounds in it, the next round will be chambered.

how come when some people go shooting, they manually pull the hammer back after they fire? even on a double action gun, i have seen people manually pull the hammer back on some revolvers after they fire a shot It requires a lot more force to pull the trigger on guns like that when the hammer isn't cocked. They cock it manually so they don't have to use as much force to fire the gun - it improves their aim.

when people dry fire for practice, why do they pull the slide back after dry firing? does it make a difference? Because when you fire a gun, the explosion knocks the slide back, which cocks the hammer. If the gun is empty and it's dry-fired (a bad thing to do very often), there's no explosion to rack the slide for the next trigger pull, so you have to do it manually.

Aaron1124

imported post

Looks like your questions were already answered, but just chiming in to say my carry weapon is a Ruger P95. It's a good workhorse of a gun.

Bovaloe

imported post

You really need to take a basic pistol course and learn some of the basics before you even think of carrying. Some of you questions are about as basic as they can get.

amzbrady

imported post

I shot a S/W 357 that kinda scared me. I pulled the hammer back and, ooh man talk about a hair trigger. Shooting it hammer down, didnt take much, I couldnt see the point of having a hammer on it. It was a good candidate for a hammerless 357.

jbone

imported post

Your friend got you a gun and kicked you loose? here yha go have at it, don't shoot our eye out :shock:?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Bovaloe wrote:
You really need to take a basic pistol course and learn some of the basics before you even think of carrying. Some of your questions are about as basic as they can get.
+1

Free online gun course, that qualifies as the required training for the Grant County Oregon Sheriff in getting your CHL.

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/
Following the NW Firearms forum, many have reported that Washington Co. is also using this site as their safety class requirement.

1245A Defender

imported post

tony is 100% TROLL!!! 38 posts,, 20 topics started!!
he wrote this topic and this post 4-8-10!

Tony Santiago

Joined:Fri Jul 10th, 2009 Location: Posts:38 Status: Offline Posted: Thu Apr 8th, 2010 08:25 pm QuoteReply sig sauer p229

topic asks about using your safety,,, this post says he has a sig229!
now he says he got his first gun,, a ruger!!

i wouldnt be too tough on him though,,, he is always polite :celebrate

FrankC

imported post

If Tony is even remotely serious I would suggest some training courses in everything from firearm safety and usage to proper trolling of a forum :p

Batousaii

imported post

... and at very minimum, get an experienced - knowledgeable Friend to show you exactly how your firearm works, how to handle it safely, and put you in the right direction. It is imperative you know how to operate any dangerous machine safely.

- would you just buy and use a metal grinder or a wood chipper without getting some advice or learning about safe handling of that given machine ?

- Contact someone. Get schooled - ATM, sorry to say, you do seem like a troll, please prove us wrong and actually respond to your own posts as an update.

:?Bat

P.S. List your location ... local members may offer help to teach you (if your even real).

Quilbilly

imported post

Yeah, this is at least his second "first" gun. I just don't understand some people. Don't they have anything better to do?