Thread: Does NC restrict concealed carry to one gun??

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Somebody tell me this is not true . . .

--

See http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2010/05/15/998748

SNIP

"Q: If you have a permit to carry a concealed handgun, can you carry more than one concealed gun at a time? Also, if you drive onto school property to pick up your child and never get out of the car, are you breaking the law if you have your concealed gun with you? - M.S., Hope Mills

A: You can't carry more than one concealed handgun at a time - and you can't get more than one concealed-carry permit at a time in North Carolina."

Post imported post

I don't recall any law on the books that say you can only carry one concealed gun. Don't know if this is true or not. But then again, 7/8 of my brain has shut down because its late, and people can witness my posts when most of my brain is not cooperative
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Post imported post

Both of her statements are patently false.

There is no statutory provision limiting the number of handguns you may carry concealed under NC law.

NC law does not prohibit NC residents from obtaining permits from other states. I know CHP instructors who have out-of-state non-resident permits...

Perhaps she meant you can't have more than one NC permit, which is true. For instance, if you have a permit issued in one county, you can't move to another county, get a new permit and keep your old one. You are supposed to turn in your old permit to the issuing Sheriff if you change address and get a new permit in a different county.

But NOWHERE in NC law is there a prohibition against having permits from other states.

I will personally be calling this bozo tomorrow morning to set her straight...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Dreamer wrote:
    Both of her statements are patently false.

There is no statutory provision limiting the number of handguns you may carry concealed under NC law.

NC law does not prohibit NC residents from obtaining permits from other states. I know CHP instructors who have out-of-state non-resident permits...

Perhaps she meant you can't have more than one NC permit, which is true. For instance, if you have a permit issued in one county, you can't move to another county, get a new permit and keep your old one. You are supposed to turn in your old permit to the issuing Sheriff if you change address and get a new permit in a different county.

But NOWHERE in NC law is there a prohibition against having permits from other states.

I will personally be calling this bozo tomorrow morning to set her straight...
    She is getting her info from a Sheriff...

Post imported post

I can't help myself. I'm posting a reply tonight... Stay tuned...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

She is getting her info from a Sheriff... ROFLMAO Mistake number one.

I don't know the "correct" answer to your question. But I can't see how it would be any different than open carrying. I got stopped by a Raleigh officer once and I was OC'ing three pistols. He just said something like "Damn. Is all them guns yours?"

Like was previously mentioned, I don't think the law adresses the question. My defense if an issue came up would be that the law is unconstitutionally vague. Suppose I am carrying my main gun and my back up gun concealed, with permit. Lets assume the law allows me to carry only one gun. Which gun is covered by the permit? The main gun? The back up gun? Obviously, in my scenario, I could only be prosecuted for carrying ONE gun illegally since I have a permit for the other one. Which gun would they prosecute me for? And how would they decide which gun was covered by the permit?

Post imported post

There is no statute in NC limiting the number of firearms that you carry. I know many people who regularly carry2 firearms CC.

See Ch 14 Sec 415 of the General Statutes, you will see nothing. If there is no law against it, then be definition it is legal.......

Post imported post

I guess I'm guilty if your only allowed one carry in NC, because I'm carrying two right now; my .45 subcompact in a IWB Don Hume Holster, and my .380 in a Blackhawk Pocket Holster. Like OCGSO, I haven't read any NC Law against the practice. Dontcha think if it was against any Law, it would be on your CCW? Well it isn't printed anywhere on mine. :quirky

Post imported post

Apparently some people can't read... If you click on the link in Mike's Post and read the question asked, plus the answer, that is obviously a quirk of the Cumberland Co. Sheriff! Because none of the reference sources listed, (except the Sheriff) addresses the question except for not having a concealed knife, (for which there is no permit for!).