• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First WA OC

acmariner99

imported post

Hey all, I am now moved into my summer apartment in Everett. I am happy to be back in the Northwest -- anyway did my first WA OC over the past couple of days. Went down to the waterfront in Mukilteo for some Ivars, no one was running scared and no one ran to the two Washington State Patrolmen who were only 5 feet from me. If they saw me they ignored me. And today I went to get groceries and am now patronizing Starbucks on Everett Mall Dr with no trouble. Sweet, Sweet Freedom! Happy to be hear guys! Carry ON!!

acmariner99

imported post

Might as well put this here also: I just had my first MWAG call. Three Everett police cars showed up and told me that a couple of people were nervous and wanted to check it out. They told me I was well within my rights and they had no problem with me carrying, they even wanted to know if I had any questions or concerns for them. I asked about getting my CPL, and they told me everything I needed to do. They checked my gun registration and the whole thing lasted no more than 5 minutes. They were professional, informative, and respectful.

John Hardin

imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
Three Everett police cars showed up ... They checked my gun registration ...
What gun registration is that, pray tell? There is no registration of guns in WA state...

Please tell us more about what happened. Did they check the serial number of your gun? If so, how did they get the serial number of your gun?

acmariner99

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
acmariner99 wrote:
What gun registration is that, pray tell? There is no registration of guns in WA state...

Please tell us more about what happened. Did they check the serial number of your gun? If so, how did they get the serial number of your gun?

They said that my "gun should be registered in the state of Washington." Whatever that means. They asked to check the serial to make sure I was legal to possess. To do that they did have to disarm me. I didn't want to resist for this particular encounter. They simply asked why I carried, informed me that a couple of people were nervous and they wanted to see what was going on. I told them I carry for my own protection and open carry for comfort. They had no problems with me carrying. I knew I was legal and the thought did cross my mind if I resisted that they would think something was up. Any thoughts on that. Signing off for the night -- still no internet at my apartment.

Carry On!!

swatspyder

imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
John Hardin wrote:
acmariner99 wrote:

They said that my "gun should be registered in the state of Washington." Whatever that means. They asked to check the serial to make sure I was legal to possess. To do that they did have to disarm me. I didn't want to resist for this particular encounter. They simply asked why I carried, informed me that a couple of people were nervous and they wanted to see what was going on. I told them I carry for my own protection and open carry for comfort. They had no problems with me carrying. I knew I was legal and the thought did cross my mind if I resisted that they would think something was up. Any thoughts on that. Signing off for the night -- still no internet at my apartment.

Carry On!!
You're kidding right? Names of the deputies? Anyone here on the board able to look up information on calls from today?

BTW. There is NO registration of firearms in Washington. The DOL keeps track of purchases. If this deputy just "registered" your firearm, he is in for some serious training.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
John Hardin wrote:
acmariner99 wrote:

Carry On!!
Dude, sorry to say it, but you just got trampled hardcore. Wish we had been there because the first thing out of my mouth would have been "Excuse me, officer, but it's impossible for any gun to be registered in the state of Washington since the state of Washington has no registration."

Jayd1981

imported post

I just thought I'd say thanks for all the information you guys post on this board. I'm new here myself, been on for a few months I believe. I considered myself pretty knowledgable myself, especially in my circle of friends, but you guys have opened me up to a whole lot that I had no idea about. I especially liked the idea of a voice recorder. I had an incident where a cop flat out lied in his statement about what I said, and the judge wouldn't even acknowledge my account of the stop. Needless to say I don't leave home without my recorder now.

1970camaroRS

imported post

I will look it up later, but the city of Everett has a hand gun registration. I had to register my Ruger when I bought it from Sam's Gunshop. It's not in line with state laws, but it happened. The Everett PD probably looked at the Everett city registered list to make sure it was his gun.

John Hardin

imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
I knew I was legal and the thought did cross my mind if I resisted that they would think something was up.
Nothing was up. You weren't doing anything wrong.

That's the primary reason the police get away with so many violations of our rights. Too many people fear the repercussions of daring to stand up for themselves.

(That's not a slur on you, just a general observation...)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Nottrying to bash a new OC'er to our state, but most folks on here know me as a stickler for not giving up rights.

To me it is up to us to train LEO often times by simply not letting them overstep their boundaries. Because many like this will when they can.

They must have RAS, to detain or check out anything on you including your firearm, who you are, we are not a stop and show me your papers state.

I would not have volunteered anything to them, kept the conversation freindly like you did talking about the CPL. But beyond that nope.

I also don't carry I.D. while just walking around, would make it pretty hard for them to check out if the gun was mine or not. I love the4A a lot too.

Some have asked "What does it hurt letting them know who you are?" or "Why not just co-operate they are doing their job and it's a tough job" or "Why what do you have to hide"

My answer is it hurts our freedom and encourages a police state.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1970camaroRS wrote:
I will look it up later, but the city of Everett has a hand gun registration. I had to register my Ruger when I bought it from Sam's Gunshop. It's not in line with state laws, but it happened. The Everett PD probably looked at the Everett city registered list to make sure it was his gun.
If that is the case then Everett is in violation of the law and some letters need to be written and Everett needs to be corrected and become compliant with state law.

Mainsail

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
They must have RAS, to detain or check out anything on you including your firearm, who you are, we are not a stop and show me your papers state.
The first part is true, the second is not. If you volunteer to have a chat with the police it is not a seizure. If you volunteer to allow them to run the numbers on your gun, they are not violating your rights or any laws. If you volunteer your name, address, DOB or anything else, they are not in the wrong.

The OP wasn’t detained. The OP fell for the ‘friendly cop’ routine and willingly subjected himself to their questions. Sometimes they’re your friend, sometimes they stomp and snort, whatever they need to do to keep you from asking Question #1*. It’s nothing big or little, we’ve all done it the first time around so he shouldn’t feel bad. Next time he will know.

*Question #1 is always, “Am I being detained?” If not, walk away. You WILL NOT educate a police officer, and if he isn’t detaining you then he already knows you’re legal so what’s the point? Walk away. Be polite, wish him or her a nice day, then walk away. There is nothing to be gained by discussing OC with him or her.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
The first part is true, the second is not. If you volunteer to have a chat with the police it is not a seizure. If you volunteer to allow them to run the numbers on your gun, they are not violating your rights or any laws. If you volunteer your name, address, DOB or anything else, they are not in the wrong.

The OP wasn’t detained. The OP fell for the ‘friendly cop’ routine and willingly subjected himself to their questions. Sometimes they’re your friend, sometimes they stomp and snort, whatever they need to do to keep you from asking Question #1*. It’s nothing big or little, we’ve all do it the first time around so he shouldn’t feel bad. Next time he will know.

*Question #1 is always, “Am I being detained?” If not, walk away. You WILL NOT educate a police officer, and if he isn’t detaining you then he already knows you’re legal so what’s the point? Walk away. Be polite, wish him or her a nice day, then walk away. There is nothing to be gained by discussing OC with him or her.
You are right and I meant that just didn't clarify it. Police can start any conversation they want and can ask anything they want. I just don't like volunteering anything to the "authorities".

acmariner99

imported post

Finally I can get back on. I have read every one of your responses and I appreciate all of your insights. I must admit I am surprised by the attitude and culture here. Though I can't say I am surprised. I learned to carry in Arizona, the friendliest gun state in the union. No one ever batted an eye and if an LEO approaches you it is to see what you are carrying, not if there is a problem.

That being said, my encounter yesterday was my first encounter with law enforcement regarding my firearm. The dialogue (spelling) about the CPL was very helpful to me -- I did get that paperwork done today and I hope I get it sooner rather than later. I have seen the video about the lawyer who says NEVER talk to law enforcement. The police did play nice. I am wondering though once they found out I was sitting nicely at my computer being normal with a properly holstered firearm that they didn't walk away. They did politely inform me that I was making other patrons nervous. How, I am not certain. I don't like the idea of appeasing the sheeple by putting my gun in a drawer and leaving it as a paperweight. It doesn't do me much good doing that. Like I stated above, I did get my CPL to cover all the bases and I know a few here would say that in of itself is too much of an infringement. If at all possible if, no more like when there is a next time I have an LEO talk to me, I'll try to stick to the dialoge and not automatically give up my gun unless they think I am in the process of committing a crime. (But why would I do that ;)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I have learned that the making other people nervous (anxious, afraid) is mostly just a smoke cover. Maybe there might be a hoplophobe, but the way I look at it is the public will only get used to it if they see it.

Glad to have you in our state, hope to meet you soon at a meet.

acmariner99

imported post

And speaking of meets, there is a Dennys just up the road from here. I'd be all for doing a get together there(is this weekend too soon?)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I don't think its close to me just say when you'll be there post it and people will come. I think Dave is doing one this weakend (69Charger) go to his.

69Charger

imported post

acmariner.

Would be great to see you at the Dennys meet and greet at 108th and Pacific Ave here in Tacoma. 5-22-10 10:am
Its nice to chat with people who have lived in other States and hear what the Carry situations they have there.
Hope to see ya there.
Dave

jbone

imported post

You did happen to bring any AZ lawmakers with you? they could spend the summer showing ours how its done.Your winter stateisright on.