Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild West Academy CPL classes

Banned

Post imported post

I took my CPL through Wild West Academy, and was very happy with Mark and the school as a whole.

Mark Cortis is on the Oakland Countygun board. He knows his stuff. He does a personal protection CPL, a basic CPL, advanced shotgun, home firearm safety, basic shotgun, basic rifle, intro to class 3, He is a certified instructor,and he does offer many other services you could ask him about.

I met him at GLX again today, and told him I would return a favor by trying to send some students his way.

Once you take your CPL class, he will answer any questions you have via email or phone, and you can retake the class if you want to for the cost of the range fee and ammo.

Mark is a really good guy, and puts out a really good class, If you want to get your CPL, or some other more advanced training, he's your guy.

www.WildWestAcademy.com 248 506 3472

Banned

Post imported post

First two things he says in his video

http://www.wildwestacademy.com/range.htm

If you shoot down range
    You pass...
    And a completely WRONG definition of the 21 foot rule
    If a target is not within 21 feet of you and does NOT have a firearm you CANNOT shoot him.
    Load of crap

So he passes anyone who can shoot downrange and tells people that they cannot defend themselves from a target 25 feet away from them that is not armed?

great class...

Post imported post

Beerme wrote:
    First two things he says in his video

http://www.wildwestacademy.com/range.htm

If you shoot down range
    You pass...
    And a completely WRONG definition of the 21 foot rule
    If a target is not within 21 feet of you and does NOT have a firearm you CANNOT shoot him.
    Load of crap

So he passes anyone who can shoot downrange and tells people that they cannot defend themselves from a target 25 feet away from them that is not armed?

great class...
    Yikes!

Guess I'll be checking out this video for entertainment value...

Post imported post

Removed as it was a personal attack.

Banned

Post imported post

That is a practice drill
    Raise weapon and quickly aim at target
    Quickly move and aim to next target

Notice how at the end of it he has them
    Raise weapon
    Fire
    FIRE
    FIRE
    FIRE

that is so they get practice at that quick fluid movement and aim

Banned

Post imported post

the random pointing was intended to teach the students to listen for the order, not just to fire at a false command. Basically an exercise to get them to think about their firing; to know when to pull the trigger and when not to. And yes, as beerme poined out.

And havent you heard of the 21 foot rule?

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
    the random pointing was intended to teach the students to listen for the order, not just to fire at a false command. Basically an exercise to get them to think about their firing; to know when to pull the trigger and when not to. And yes, as beerme poined out.

That is not the 21ft rule.

I guess the rest is just similar to dry-fire.

Post imported post

click on the link for more videos. I like the one where the guy says to carry the larger caliber as the backup gun. Because when you need a back up, It should be something with some power. He carries the .40 for the primary and the .45 for backup. Im no trainer,But I would play the Big card first.

Banned

Post imported post

The 21 foot rule is NOT what he said it is
    He made that up
    The 21 foot rule is the Tueller Drill
    That a target 21 feet away with a knife can cover the 21 feet to you in 1.5 seconds.

The instructor has NO IDEA what he is talking about and the fact that he says if you shoot down range you pass is proof enough that he should have his instructing privileges taken away

Post imported post

edit for ^^^^^^^^ AHHHHH

damn it man!!!! what is the 21 foot rule!?!?

i didn't take the class or get the memo....

Banned

Post imported post

refer to my post for the ONLY 21 FOOT RULE
    THIS INSTRUCTOR IS GARBAGE
    Anyone who took his class should have their CPL temporarily suspended and be forced to take an actual class based on principle alone

Post imported post

some info on the said 21ft rule http://www.usadojo.com/articles/21-feet-valid.htm

Post imported post

DetroitBiker wrote:
    some info on the said 21ft rule http://www.usadojo.com/articles/21-feet-valid.htm

Good read.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Guys, if the only thing you can complain about is the 21 foot thing and this makes a 'bad instructor', you guys are VERY sorely mistaken.

You should have seen MY instructor. According to him: if anyone sees your firearm, you are brandishing, and there are 'tons of cases in Michigan to back this up'. OC is illegal, you can shoot to protect property under certain circumstances, oh, and here's the best part. The guest speaker, a detective, advised us that 'concealed means concealed' and that PFZs aren't a big deal.

So... does he sound that bad now? Really?
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

stainless1911 wrote:

Sorry I have But one Question ? pull the Trigger ?

Banned

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    Guys, if the only thing you can complain about is the 21 foot thing and this makes a 'bad instructor', you guys are VERY sorely mistaken.

You should have seen MY instructor. According to him: if anyone sees your firearm, you are brandishing, and there are 'tons of cases in Michigan to back this up'. OC is illegal, you can shoot to protect property under certain circumstances, oh, and here's the best part. The guest speaker, a detective, advised us that 'concealed means concealed' and that PFZs aren't a big deal.

Read the whole thread before telling us WHAT WE THINK.
    This man made up a "law"
    This man assured people they would pass if shooting downrange
    No one said he is the worse CPL instructor in history, but thank you for coming in and one upping everyone instead of staying on topic...

Banned

Post imported post

taxwhat wrot:
    stainless1911 wrote:

Sorry I have But one Question ? pull the Trigger ?
    Squeezing the trigger is overrated

Post imported post

Beerme wrote:
    malignity wrote:

Read the whole thread before telling us WHAT WE THINK.
    This man made up a "law"
    This man assured people they would pass if shooting downrange
    No one said he is the worse CPL instructor in history, but thank you for coming in and one upping everyone instead of staying on topic...
    I did read the whole topic. If you think I 'one upped you', that's not my intention, but I'm glad you think I'm an @#$%. That's cool bro. All I'm saying is that compared to other instructors, this guy is nothing.

Mine told me that I can shoot people that are breaking into my car. Geez, that won't land me in federal @#$%-me-in-the-ass-prison or anything. Making up a 21 foot law does kinda suck, but telling students that they can shoot people to protect property and can ignore PFZ's is something completely different, and will land you in JAIL.

I'm not one upping you. I'm telling you that if you think this is bad, and you want to piss on someone, there's worse out there. Much worse.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

I'll ask him about the 21 foot rule thing... I have not watched that video. I'm sure he will either clarify or change it.

I can, however, state from personal experience that many of the assumptions you make about this man are largely untrue.

Banned

Post imported post

So he will stop passing people for being able to shoot downrange only?
    That is a good start
    How about making up laws that should be changed for sure.
    and tell him I said to take his BS instructing and lies and shove them.
    Sick of all the crappy instructors
    He is just the same as the ones that say
    OC is illegal and you MUST CC
    That you cannot defend yourself if in public only in your home
    OCing is brandishing
    Printing is brandishing
    and like malignity said someone told him he could ignore PFZ's

This guy is worse than all of them because he is spreading his lies while on the Oakland county gun board

Post imported post

Beerme wrote:
    That is a good start
    OCing is brandishing
    Printing is brandishing

This guy is worse than all of them because he is spreading his lies while on the Oakland county gun board
    That's a lot to infer from someone you've never met, and certainly a harsh statement to make about a person who is being given no chance to defend or clarify their statements.

Perhaps you should instead email your concerns to him at wildwestacademy@aol.com

Banned

Post imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
    Beerme wrote:
    That is a good start
    OCing is brandishing
    Printing is brandishing

That's a lot to infer from someone you've never met, and certainly a harsh statement to make about a person who is being given no chance to defend or clarify their statements.

Perhaps you should instead email your concerns to him at wildwestacademy@aol.com
    The only things I inferred are the two things he stated in his vid
    you shoot downrange you pass
    and his 21 foot rule
    the rest was a comparison to the actions of other crappy instructors

Post imported post

Anyone who didn't get the statement "If the bullets go that way, you pass" as tongue and cheek probably isn't very smart. Everyone in the universe knows that statement was not meant to be taken literally. To defame a person for something like that shows a lack of intelligence on the part of the writer for sure.

As for the 21 foot rule, another over simplification by the writer. Mark Cortis can talk for days on the laws regarding the use of deadly force that go far beyond simple theories or guidelines like the 21 foot rule. There is of course disparity of circumstance, the use of other weapons, exacerbated pugilistic skills, ie Mike Tyson wants to fight you. To take a statement out of context that would require expansive explanation is reckless and unfortunate. To cast a shadow over the entire organization and the instructor based on these remarks is downright pathetic.

It seems that Mark Cortis as the most humble of human beings on the planet would not ever be out to get anyone else, to make negative remarks of any kind, or to be less than positive. He does not claim to be an expert of any kind, nor a good shot, nor know everything about the law, and if you took the entire class and listened to the minimum two hours of law you would realize how misguided your accusations are.

Mark is also a strong supporter of MOC and hands out our literature in every class, and tells people the right stuff about open carry. Why a member of MOC would want to bash someone who promotes the organization is beyond me.

So, maybe it would be a good idea before jumping to rash conclusions and making inflammatory remarks to get the whole story, and to try and be a little more positive about things. Good grief, the next issue on the board seems to be an argument about trigger squeeze vs trigger control! Yikes! Do we not have better things to do than get into semantical arguments about such things.

Let's get back to the positive issue of promoting open carry, and stop bashing good people over petty issues. And for goodness sake please take the time to know the whole story before writing a book of broad generalizations okay?

Post imported post

SecretSoldierfrs wrote:
    Anyone who didn't get the statement "If the bullets go that way, you pass" as tongue and cheek probably isn't very smart. Everyone in the universe knows that statement was not meant to be taken literally. To defame a person for something like that shows a lack of intelligence on the part of the writer for sure.

As for the 21 foot rule, another over simplification by the writer. Mark Cortis can talk for days on the laws regarding the use of deadly force that go far beyond simple theories or guidelines like the 21 foot rule. There is of course disparity of circumstance, the use of other weapons, exacerbated pugilistic skills, ie Mike Tyson wants to fight you. To take a statement out of context that would require expansive explanation is reckless and unfortunate. To cast a shadow over the entire organization and the instructor based on these remarks is downright pathetic.

It seems that Mark Cortis as the most humble of human beings on the planet would not ever be out to get anyone else, to make negative remarks of any kind, or to be less than positive. He does not claim to be an expert of any kind, nor a good shot, nor know everything about the law, and if you took the entire class and listened to the minimum two hours of law you would realize how misguided your accusations are.

Mark is also a strong supporter of MOC and hands out our literature in every class, and tells people the right stuff about open carry. Why a member of MOC would want to bash someone who promotes the organization is beyond me.

So, maybe it would be a good idea before jumping to rash conclusions and making inflammatory remarks to get the whole story, and to try and be a little more positive about things. Good grief, the next issue on the board seems to be an argument about trigger squeeze vs trigger control! Yikes! Do we not have better things to do than get into semantical arguments about such things.

Let's get back to the positive issue of promoting open carry, and stop bashing good people over petty issues. And for goodness sake please take the time to know the whole story before writing a book of broad generalizations okay?

This is sort of what I was saying

Post imported post

SecretSoldierfrs wrote:

SecretSoldierfrs: Are you in Fact Mark Cortis?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast