• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wild West Academy CPL classes

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I took my CPL through Wild West Academy, and was very happy with Mark and the school as a whole.

Mark Cortis is on the Oakland Countygun board. He knows his stuff. He does a personal protection CPL, a basic CPL, advanced shotgun, home firearm safety, basic shotgun, basic rifle, intro to class 3, He is a certified instructor,and he does offer many other services you could ask him about.

I met him at GLX again today, and told him I would return a favor by trying to send some students his way.

Once you take your CPL class, he will answer any questions you have via email or phone, and you can retake the class if you want to for the cost of the range fee and ammo.

Mark is a really good guy, and puts out a really good class, If you want to get your CPL, or some other more advanced training, he's your guy.

www.WildWestAcademy.com 248 506 3472

Beerme

Banned
imported post

First two things he says in his video

http://www.wildwestacademy.com/range.htm

If you shoot down range
You pass...
And a completely WRONG definition of the 21 foot rule
If a target is not within 21 feet of you and does NOT have a firearm you CANNOT shoot him.
Load of crap

So he passes anyone who can shoot downrange and tells people that they cannot defend themselves from a target 25 feet away from them that is not armed?

great class...

sevenplusone

imported post

Beerme wrote:
First two things he says in his video

http://www.wildwestacademy.com/range.htm

If you shoot down range
You pass...
And a completely WRONG definition of the 21 foot rule
If a target is not within 21 feet of you and does NOT have a firearm you CANNOT shoot him.
Load of crap

So he passes anyone who can shoot downrange and tells people that they cannot defend themselves from a target 25 feet away from them that is not armed?

great class...

Yikes!

Guess I'll be checking out this video for entertainment value...

Beerme

Banned
imported post

That is a practice drill
Raise weapon and quickly aim at target
Quickly move and aim to next target

Notice how at the end of it he has them
Raise weapon
Fire
FIRE
FIRE
FIRE

that is so they get practice at that quick fluid movement and aim

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

the random pointing was intended to teach the students to listen for the order, not just to fire at a false command. Basically an exercise to get them to think about their firing; to know when to pull the trigger and when not to. And yes, as beerme poined out.

And havent you heard of the 21 foot rule?

sevenplusone

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
the random pointing was intended to teach the students to listen for the order, not just to fire at a false command. Basically an exercise to get them to think about their firing; to know when to pull the trigger and when not to. And yes, as beerme poined out.

That is not the 21ft rule.

I guess the rest is just similar to dry-fire.

DetroitBiker

imported post

click on the link for more videos. I like the one where the guy says to carry the larger caliber as the backup gun. Because when you need a back up, It should be something with some power. He carries the .40 for the primary and the .45 for backup. Im no trainer,But I would play the Big card first.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

The 21 foot rule is NOT what he said it is
He made that up
The 21 foot rule is the Tueller Drill
That a target 21 feet away with a knife can cover the 21 feet to you in 1.5 seconds.

The instructor has NO IDEA what he is talking about and the fact that he says if you shoot down range you pass is proof enough that he should have his instructing privileges taken away

UCWT

imported post

edit for ^^^^^^^^ AHHHHH

damn it man!!!! what is the 21 foot rule!?!?

i didn't take the class or get the memo....:uhoh:

Beerme

Banned
imported post

refer to my post for the ONLY 21 FOOT RULE
THIS INSTRUCTOR IS GARBAGE
Anyone who took his class should have their CPL temporarily suspended and be forced to take an actual class based on principle alone

malignity

imported post

Guys, if the only thing you can complain about is the 21 foot thing and this makes a 'bad instructor', you guys are VERY sorely mistaken.

You should have seen MY instructor. According to him: if anyone sees your firearm, you are brandishing, and there are 'tons of cases in Michigan to back this up'. OC is illegal, you can shoot to protect property under certain circumstances, oh, and here's the best part. The guest speaker, a detective, advised us that 'concealed means concealed' and that PFZs aren't a big deal.

So... does he sound that bad now? Really?

taxwhat

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:

Sorry I have But one Question ? pull the Trigger ?

Beerme

Banned
imported post

malignity wrote:
Guys, if the only thing you can complain about is the 21 foot thing and this makes a 'bad instructor', you guys are VERY sorely mistaken.

You should have seen MY instructor. According to him: if anyone sees your firearm, you are brandishing, and there are 'tons of cases in Michigan to back this up'. OC is illegal, you can shoot to protect property under certain circumstances, oh, and here's the best part. The guest speaker, a detective, advised us that 'concealed means concealed' and that PFZs aren't a big deal.

Read the whole thread before telling us WHAT WE THINK.
This man made up a "law"
This man assured people they would pass if shooting downrange
No one said he is the worse CPL instructor in history, but thank you for coming in and one upping everyone instead of staying on topic...

Beerme

Banned
imported post

taxwhat wrot:
stainless1911 wrote:

Sorry I have But one Question ? pull the Trigger ?
Squeezing the trigger is overrated

malignity

imported post

Beerme wrote:
malignity wrote:

Read the whole thread before telling us WHAT WE THINK.
This man made up a "law"
This man assured people they would pass if shooting downrange
No one said he is the worse CPL instructor in history, but thank you for coming in and one upping everyone instead of staying on topic...

I did read the whole topic. If you think I 'one upped you', that's not my intention, but I'm glad you think I'm an @#$%. That's cool bro. All I'm saying is that compared to other instructors, this guy is nothing.

Mine told me that I can shoot people that are breaking into my car. Geez, that won't land me in federal @#$%-me-in-the-ass-prison or anything. Making up a 21 foot law does kinda suck, but telling students that they can shoot people to protect property and can ignore PFZ's is something completely different, and will land you in JAIL.

I'm not one upping you. I'm telling you that if you think this is bad, and you want to piss on someone, there's worse out there. Much worse.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

I'll ask him about the 21 foot rule thing... I have not watched that video. I'm sure he will either clarify or change it.

I can, however, state from personal experience that many of the assumptions you make about this man are largely untrue.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

So he will stop passing people for being able to shoot downrange only?
That is a good start
How about making up laws that should be changed for sure.
and tell him I said to take his BS instructing and lies and shove them.
Sick of all the crappy instructors
He is just the same as the ones that say
OC is illegal and you MUST CC
That you cannot defend yourself if in public only in your home
OCing is brandishing
Printing is brandishing
and like malignity said someone told him he could ignore PFZ's

This guy is worse than all of them because he is spreading his lies while on the Oakland county gun board