• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wild West Academy CPL classes

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Beerme wrote:
So he will stop passing people for being able to shoot downrange only?
That is a good start
How about making up laws that should be changed for sure.
and tell him I said to take his BS instructing and lies and shove them.
Sick of all the crappy instructors
He is just the same as the ones that say
OC is illegal and you MUST CC
That you cannot defend yourself if in public only in your home
OCing is brandishing
Printing is brandishing
and like malignity said someone told him he could ignore PFZ's

This guy is worse than all of them because he is spreading his lies while on the Oakland county gun board
That's a lot to infer from someone you've never met, and certainly a harsh statement to make about a person who is being given no chance to defend or clarify their statements.

Perhaps you should instead email your concerns to him at wildwestacademy@aol.com

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
Beerme wrote:
So he will stop passing people for being able to shoot downrange only?
That is a good start
How about making up laws that should be changed for sure.
and tell him I said to take his BS instructing and lies and shove them.
Sick of all the crappy instructors
He is just the same as the ones that say
OC is illegal and you MUST CC
That you cannot defend yourself if in public only in your home
OCing is brandishing
Printing is brandishing
and like malignity said someone told him he could ignore PFZ's

This guy is worse than all of them because he is spreading his lies while on the Oakland county gun board
That's a lot to infer from someone you've never met, and certainly a harsh statement to make about a person who is being given no chance to defend or clarify their statements.

Perhaps you should instead email your concerns to him at wildwestacademy@aol.com
The only things I inferred are the two things he stated in his vid
you shoot downrange you pass
and his 21 foot rule
the rest was a comparison to the actions of other crappy instructors

SecretSoldierfrs

imported post

Anyone who didn't get the statement "If the bullets go that way, you pass" as tongue and cheek probably isn't very smart. Everyone in the universe knows that statement was not meant to be taken literally. To defame a person for something like that shows a lack of intelligence on the part of the writer for sure.

As for the 21 foot rule, another over simplification by the writer. Mark Cortis can talk for days on the laws regarding the use of deadly force that go far beyond simple theories or guidelines like the 21 foot rule. There is of course disparity of circumstance, the use of other weapons, exacerbated pugilistic skills, ie Mike Tyson wants to fight you. To take a statement out of context that would require expansive explanation is reckless and unfortunate. To cast a shadow over the entire organization and the instructor based on these remarks is downright pathetic.

It seems that Mark Cortis as the most humble of human beings on the planet would not ever be out to get anyone else, to make negative remarks of any kind, or to be less than positive. He does not claim to be an expert of any kind, nor a good shot, nor know everything about the law, and if you took the entire class and listened to the minimum two hours of law you would realize how misguided your accusations are.

Mark is also a strong supporter of MOC and hands out our literature in every class, and tells people the right stuff about open carry. Why a member of MOC would want to bash someone who promotes the organization is beyond me.

So, maybe it would be a good idea before jumping to rash conclusions and making inflammatory remarks to get the whole story, and to try and be a little more positive about things. Good grief, the next issue on the board seems to be an argument about trigger squeeze vs trigger control! Yikes! Do we not have better things to do than get into semantical arguments about such things.

Let's get back to the positive issue of promoting open carry, and stop bashing good people over petty issues. And for goodness sake please take the time to know the whole story before writing a book of broad generalizations okay?

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

SecretSoldierfrs wrote:
Anyone who didn't get the statement "If the bullets go that way, you pass" as tongue and cheek probably isn't very smart. Everyone in the universe knows that statement was not meant to be taken literally. To defame a person for something like that shows a lack of intelligence on the part of the writer for sure.

As for the 21 foot rule, another over simplification by the writer. Mark Cortis can talk for days on the laws regarding the use of deadly force that go far beyond simple theories or guidelines like the 21 foot rule. There is of course disparity of circumstance, the use of other weapons, exacerbated pugilistic skills, ie Mike Tyson wants to fight you. To take a statement out of context that would require expansive explanation is reckless and unfortunate. To cast a shadow over the entire organization and the instructor based on these remarks is downright pathetic.

It seems that Mark Cortis as the most humble of human beings on the planet would not ever be out to get anyone else, to make negative remarks of any kind, or to be less than positive. He does not claim to be an expert of any kind, nor a good shot, nor know everything about the law, and if you took the entire class and listened to the minimum two hours of law you would realize how misguided your accusations are.

Mark is also a strong supporter of MOC and hands out our literature in every class, and tells people the right stuff about open carry. Why a member of MOC would want to bash someone who promotes the organization is beyond me.

So, maybe it would be a good idea before jumping to rash conclusions and making inflammatory remarks to get the whole story, and to try and be a little more positive about things. Good grief, the next issue on the board seems to be an argument about trigger squeeze vs trigger control! Yikes! Do we not have better things to do than get into semantical arguments about such things.

Let's get back to the positive issue of promoting open carry, and stop bashing good people over petty issues. And for goodness sake please take the time to know the whole story before writing a book of broad generalizations okay?
This is sort of what I was saying

DetroitBiker

imported post

SecretSoldierfrs wrote:

SecretSoldierfrs: Are you in Fact Mark Cortis?

DetroitBiker

imported post

SecretSoldierfrs wrote:
No, I am someone very close to him who is writing on his behalf using his screen name. I certainly wish all the best to everyone on this message board, and a blessed week to all.
Ok, just saw that he used that screen name before and thought he was talking about himself as a third person.:cool: Its all good Brother.

malignity

imported post

SecretSoldierfrs wrote:

Like I was trying to point out earlier, there are MUCH worse CPL instructors out there. Personally, I've heard nothing but good things about WWA, and was trying to compare my own experience to this one. Like I said, piss where pissing is due, cause a simple 21 foot law, doesn't seem to warrant a full scale attack. Telling people it's okay that they shoot someone that's breaking into your car on the other hand, or that ignoring PFZ's is okay, well.. not so much. :)

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

This thread has sounded like a JR high lunchroom all the way through, which is why Ive tried to stay away from it. Mark knows his $#!+. I took his class, and Im glad I did. I have recommended it to many, and will again, If you think hes full of it, then take the class yourself, and then speak from experience, untill then you know nothing but what was on a minute long sound bite.

As soon as I can come up with the range fee and ammo, Im going to take the class again, just as a refresher.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

SecretSoldierfrs wrote:

See
Now you are assuming I am not very smart.
He said it.
Clear as day.
He also MADE UP A LAW
So take your whoever listens to him( The students in his class will listen to him btw, they are under the impression that he knows what he is doing) and shove it if you think you can imply that about me.
Mark I know you are reading this
LEARN TO TEACH YOUR CLASS AND STOP FILLING THEIR HEADS WITH FALSE INFORMATION.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
This thread has sounded like a JR high lunchroom all the way through, which is why Ive tried to stay away from it. Mark knows his $#!+. I took his class, and Im glad I did. I have recommended it to many, and will again, If you think hes full of it, then take the class yourself, and then speak from experience, untill then you know nothing but what was on a minute long sound bite.

As soon as I can come up with the range fee and ammo, Im going to take the class again, just as a refresher.
And you also play with your gun while it is holstered
Removed a loaded magazine while it is holstered in public and have a suspended CPL
not showing that you learned a whole lot from his class...

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I explained pretty clearly when we met, the hows and whys I got my permission slip suspended. And youre upset with the fact that I pulled a mag to show you the bullets I was carrying so you would know what I was talking about? (We were discussing different rounds).

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Yes we were discussing different rounds
What part of discussing involves you touching your firearm and removing a magazine?
I told you what kind of ammo I had with the magazine in the firearm.

DetroitBiker

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I explained pretty clearly when we met, the hows and whys I got my permission slip suspended. And youre upset with the fact that I pulled a mag to show you the bullets I was carrying so you would know what I was talking about? (We were discussing different rounds.)
[suP]Beerme[/suP][suP] wrote: [/suP]Yes we were discussing different rounds
What part of discussing involves you touching your firearm and removing a magazine?
I told you what kind of ammo I had with the magazine in the firearm.

Does this mean you guys aren`t gonna be hangin out anymore? :D

23lbgo.jpg

malignity

imported post

You pulled your magazine out of your holstered gun?! IT COULD HAVE WENT OFF!! OMFG!

Beerme, seriously? Anyone that has any knowledge about firearms and their mechanisms knows this isn't a big deal to pop a mag. If you think it will, you clearly need more firearm experience. You can pop a magazine out of a gun without touching anything but the magazine release and the magazine itself. Scary ain't it? Stop acting like a damn drama queen.

It doesn't look good when other people stoop to your level now does it? Geezus.

SecretSoldierfrs

imported post

Just FYI, the 21 foot rule is not a law, it is a guideline just like 2 shots to stop, then acceleratied shots as needed. Neither of the above has ever been a part of the fact pattern of any case I know of in determining a good shoot or a bad shoot. So, "making up law" is by definition incorrect, and should therefore be ignored. However, for those who wish to believe that it is law, have fun with it.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

SecretSoldierfrs wrote:
Just FYI, the 21 foot rule is not a law, it is a guideline just like 2 shots to stop, then acceleratied shots as needed. Neither of the above has ever been a part of the fact pattern of any case I know of in determining a good shoot or a bad shoot. So, "making up law" is by definition incorrect, and should therefore be ignored. However, for those who wish to believe that it is law, have fun with it.
I think some folks here are just mad cuz someone pisses in their cheerios every day. Even if nobody DID piss in their cheerios, they believe someone did. I think that would make me mad, too. Good thing I don't eat cheerios.

autosurgeon

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
SecretSoldierfrs wrote:
I think some folks here are just mad cuz someone pisses in their cheerios every day. Even if nobody DID piss in their cheerios, they believe someone did. I think that would make me mad, too. Good thing I don't eat cheerios.
Or if they didn't eat the cheerios in the public restroom....:uhoh:

Beerme

Banned
imported post

malignity wrote:
You pulled your magazine out of your holstered gun?! IT COULD HAVE WENT OFF!! OMFG!

Beerme, seriously? Anyone that has any knowledge about firearms and their mechanisms knows this isn't a big deal to pop a mag. If you think it will, you clearly need more firearm experience. You can pop a magazine out of a gun without touching anything but the magazine release and the magazine itself. Scary ain't it? Stop acting like a damn drama queen.

It doesn't look good when other people stoop to your level now does it? Geezus.
I am well aware of what would happen when the mag is released.
I am also aware of how other people look at it and see it.
Not scary
Not acting like a drama queen
When OCing in public you do NOT touch your gun unless you need to.
Stoop to my level?
And what level would that be?
the one where I understand how to OC and where to OC and to leave my handgun alone?