• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wild West Academy CPL classes

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Beerme wrote:
I am well aware of what would happen when the mag is released.
I am also aware of how other people look at it and see it.
OH NO! he UNLOADED his gun, the terror....
Not acting like a drama queen
When OCing in public you do NOT touch your gun unless you need to.
cite please
Stoop to my level?
And what level would that be?
the one where I understand how to OC and where to OC and to leave my handgun alone?
You understand so much, but are afraid to OC outside of a park in clarkston of all places?

?

ETA jr high was fun, thanks for the nostalgia.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Beerme wrote:
I am well aware of what would happen when the mag is released.
I am also aware of how other people look at it and see it.
OH NO! he UNLOADED his gun, the terror....
Not acting like a drama queen
When OCing in public you do NOT touch your gun unless you need to.
cite please
Stoop to my level?
And what level would that be?
the one where I understand how to OC and where to OC and to leave my handgun alone?
You understand so much, but are afraid to OC outside of a park in clarkston of all places?

?

ETA jr high was fun, thanks for the nostalgia.
Actually that is not true
I OC the every day I walk my dog
I OC to work every day I work
The only reason I do not OC so much is because of the hassle of OCing without a CPL and in 5 weeks when I get mine I will OC many more places.
Not that I am afraid
I go places that sell alcohol by the bottle- Cant OC there without CPL
I go to Sports arenas- cant OC there without CPL
I go to Movie theaters - Cant OC there without CPL
I have stopped by my old high school to watch a football game a few times and I cannot OC there without a CPL and definitely cannot Conceal there which you chose to learn the hard way

So before you assume and make yourself look like more of an arrogant ass think of this.
I may not OC as much as you do but I plan where I am going and decide to OC accordingly
I may not walk around GLX every other day promoting OC like you suggest that you do.
I OC at my JOB
and when I go in public and know I am not going to somewhere that I cannot OC
I cook dinner every night and most days I do need to run to the grocery store and grab a thing or two.
There is nothing wrong with how I OC now I support it and practice it but I do THINK before I decide to carry.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Beerme wrote:
Actually that is not true
I OC the every day I walk my dog
I OC to work every day I work
The only reason I do not OC so much is because of the hassle of OCing without a CPL and in 5 weeks when I get mine I will OC many more places.
Not that I am afraid
I go places that sell alcohol by the bottle- Cant OC there without CPL
I go to Sports arenas- cant OC there without CPL
I go to Movie theaters - Cant OC there without CPL
I have stopped by my old high school to watch a football game a few times and I cannot OC there without a CPL and definitely cannot Conceal there which you chose to learn the hard way

So before you assume and make yourself look like more of an arrogant ass think of this.
I may not OC as much as you do but I plan where I am going and decide to OC accordingly
I may not walk around GLX every other day promoting OC like you suggest that you do.
I OC at my JOB
and when I go in public and know I am not going to somewhere that I cannot OC
I cook dinner every night and most days I do need to run to the grocery store and grab a thing or two.
There is nothing wrong with how I OC now I support it and practice it but I do THINK before I decide to carry.

I carry when I work too.

I do not allow inconvenience to take rule over my rights.

I do not patronise buisinesses which do not recognise my rights (or safety)

I do not assume that I can go to this place or that, and Ill be safe without my gun, or that it wont happen here or there, or not today, or it wont happen to me. I choose not to risk my safety in these ways. I do think about where I OC.

As far as finding out the hard way? I was aware that I could OC there, and I diddnt break any laws. The only thing that I diddnt know at the time was that I could actually enter the building armed. That was a pleasnt suprise.

the only place I go where I dont OC is Krogers, because I have no choice, and have to buy food.

Michigander

imported post

I am a friend of Marks, butI am all for picking faults where they can be found, because I am someone who believes in continuous quality improvement. Not that it hasn't already been addressed, but the slamming of him that has been done is a cheap shot based on a quick video which doesn't really represent his classes very well. If you want to pick faults with his advertisement not being educational enough, I can't argue, even though I don't think it's his place to educate in a quick advertising clip. However insulting him without even knowing how he teaches is quitebelow the belt and rude.

A much better option than internetflaming is to call or email a person with concerns. I would typically expect at least that much from a community as courtious as this one.

Hyperion

imported post

Anyone who has ever spoken or met Mark Cortis would never be left with an impression that he is anything other than an experienced, extremely knowledgeable, soft-spoken, humble and skilled instructor who strongly supports firearm rights. In my opinion, one would be hard-pressed to find a better source of firearm training. Slamming him on this forum is unwarranted and unproductive.

I have personally received instruction and certification from Mark. Compared to other training I have received (including from nationally-recognized firearm instructors) Mark's programs are of similar quality. Mark's value to the shooting community as a member of the Oakland County Concealed Weapon Licensing Board is immeasurable. Please don't give cause to the anti's who would prefer that a member of the gun culture not inhabit the CWLB by throwing about accusations based upon some video clip.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Michigander wrote:
I am a friend of Marks, butI am all for picking faults where they can be found, because I am someone who believes in continuous quality improvement. Not that it hasn't already been addressed, but the slamming of him that has been done is a cheap shot based on a quick video which doesn't really represent his classes very well. If you want to pick faults with his advertisement not being educational enough, I can't argue, even though I don't think it's his place to educate in a quick advertising clip. However insulting him without even knowing how he teaches is quitebelow the belt and rude.

A much better option than internetflaming is to call or email a person with concerns. I would typically expect at least that much from a community as courtious as this one.
You do understand that the video of the class is on his website to REPRESENT the class?

EDA50

imported post

Man, this site needs a hobby.....

You guys bicker like a bunch of old ladies. How is membership these days?

Some things never change.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

EDA50 wrote:
Man, this site needs a hobby.....

You guys bicker like a bunch of old ladies. How is membership these days?

Some things never change.

EDA50 makes a good point. As a newer member I have seen a lot of squabbling and it is not a good thing in my humble opinion. If this were a closed site with tightly regulated threads it would be a different story. As it stands now many LEOs and Anti-gunners watch this site looking for "ammo" {pun intended} to use against us. Why give it to them by the truck loads? If you need to fight with each other take it to a PM or, go to team speak or if all else fails find a boxing gym somewhere and beat the snot out of each other. Just a fresh viewpoint. The "public" infighting needs to stop!

United we shall be victorious, divided we shall surely fail!:(

autosurgeon

imported post

I would not be surprised if some of the trouble makers here and on other sites are anti's who are working to make us look bad...

We need to try to NOT rise to the bait!

I do include myself in the WE as sometimes I forget this myself :shock:

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Couldnt agree more.

When I read the comment, "man this site need a hobby," I chucled thinking that arguing IS the sites hobby.

I took Marks class, and will again, he has helped me out several times in answering my questions after I graduated. Ive also taken one of his self defense courses, and still stand by him as a knowledgible teacher, and as a genuine human being.

Mad Hatter

imported post

Beerme wrote:
and in 5 weeks when I get mine I will OC many more places.

That says a lot. That tells me you just filed your paperwork, and probably just took a class. I really hope you listened in your class better than you listened to the video. See... He said "21 foot RULE" Not "law"... Big difference there. The suggestion being it would be difficult to justify a self defense shooting of an unarmed attacker at over 21 feet. I never heard him say Law at all in that. But, I don't expect you to admit you're wrong. For some reason, You just HAD to go onto a thread that really had nothing to do with you, and saw someone saying something nice about Wild West Academy, and you just had to crap all over it.

I also like the way you were able to eloquently explain the entire course after only 5 seconds of video. I guess there's NO WAY he EVER went on to explain all of this in the five hours of class afterwards.

Dude, Get over yourself.

And in the interest of full disclosure...

I took his class, I've got tons of firearm experience and STILL found it useful. I also consider Mark a friend.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

Mad Hatter wrote:
Beerme wrote:

That says a lot. That tells me you just filed your paperwork, and probably just took a class. I really hope you listened in your class better than you listened to the video. See... He said "21 foot RULE" Not "law"... Big difference there. The suggestion being it would be difficult to justify a self defense shooting of an unarmed attacker at over 21 feet. I never heard him say Law at all in that. But, I don't expect you to admit you're wrong. For some reason, You just HAD to go onto a thread that really had nothing to do with you, and saw someone saying something nice about Wild West Academy, and you just had to crap all over it.

I also like the way you were able to eloquently explain the entire course after only 5 seconds of video. I guess there's NO WAY he EVER went on to explain all of this in the five hours of class afterwards.

Dude, Get over yourself.

I took his class, I've got tons of firearm experience and STILL found it useful. I also consider Mark a friend.
I actually knew everything I needed to know prior to taking my class.
He did not explain that RULE as you explained it.
To people who know NOTHING about CPL laws and they see a vid that says
you shoot this way you pass
AND
you CANNOT shoot someone that is over 22 feet away from you if they do not have a gun
then there is a chance that they will take both of those as a fact.

sevenplusone

imported post

Okay, my personal attack on him was admittedly a little much. [and has been removed]

That said, anything a CPL instructor is taken as fact and law by the majority of the students. How many times do we have to discuss something after..."Well, my CPL instructor told me.........". Far too often. He made a statement that I would imagine the majority of the class took as fact and law "I can't shoot anybody who doesn't have a gun at anything more than 21ft." That just isn't correct...and when you get paid thousands of dollars a class you shouldn't be allowed to disseminate things are opinion at best and intentionally misleading at worst.

malignity

imported post

Beerme wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:
Beerme wrote:

Dude, Get over yourself.

you CANNOT shoot someone that is over 22 feet away from you if they do not have a gun

Ya sure?
Say I walk into the house, and someone's raping my wife at knife point, but they're across the house, which is clearly over 22 feet.

You bet your bottom dollar that shooting that bastard is plenty fine, and any jury on this planet will agree.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

malignity wrote:
Beerme wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:
Beerme wrote:

Dude, Get over yourself.

Ya sure?
Say I walk into the house, and someone's raping my wife at knife point, but they're across the house, which is clearly over 22 feet.

You bet your bottom dollar that shooting that bastard is plenty fine, and any jury on this planet will agree.
See now you are attacking me like an idiot and chopping my post down to make it look like I said something I did not.
Read the lines above that if you dont mind making yourself look like a fool.

"He did not explain that RULE as you explained it.
AND
you CANNOT shoot someone that is over 22 feet away from you if they do not have a gun"

Do not try and put words in my mouth you buffoon

Beerme

Banned
imported post

sevenplusone wrote:
Okay, my personal attack on him was admittedly a little much.

That said, anything a CPL instructor is taken as fact and law by the majority of the students. How many times do we have to discuss something after..."Well, my CPL instructor told me.........". Far too often. He made a statement that I would imagine the majority of the class took as fact and law "I can't shoot anybody who doesn't have a gun at anything more than 21ft." That just isn't correct...and when you get paid thousands of dollars a class you shouldn't be allowed to disseminate things are opinion at best and intentionally misleading at worst.
And should not be able to be seen saying if you can shoot down range you pass so you can lure customers in to fill their heads with OPINIONS that will not matter in court

malignity

imported post

Beerme wrote:

See now you are attacking me like an idiot and chopping my post down to make it look like I said something I did not.
Read the lines above that if you dont mind making yourself look like a fool.

AND
you CANNOT shoot someone that is over 22 feet away from you if they do not have a gun"

Oh, my bad. The fact that you don't use complete sentences probably would have helped me with that determination.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Beerme wrote:
Yes he did, in the 3 hours of classrom training not seen in the clip, and immediately aftre it on the range. stainless1911
He was stressing the point of gun safety in keeping the guns pointed downrange. Everyone in my class knew exactly what he meant. stainless1911
AND
He was referring to the 21 foot rule not as law, but as a guideline to follow, and the probability that a prosecutor would very likely attempt to use this rule against you if you were not clearly in danger. He also went on at this point to cover the defense of some stranger, or family member who was in mortal danger at any other distance. stainless1911
Then stop trying to do the same thing to Mark and his school. stainless1911

Beerme

Banned
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Beerme wrote:
Yes he did, in the 3 hours of classrom training not seen in the clip, and immediately aftre it on the range. stainless1911
He was stressing the point of gun safety in keeping the guns pointed downrange. Everyone in my class knew exactly what he meant. stainless1911
AND
He was referring to the 21 foot rule not as law, but as a guideline to follow, and the probability that a prosecutor would very likely attempt to use this rule against you if you were not clearly in danger. He also went on at this point to cover the defense of some stranger, or family member who was in mortal danger at any other distance. stainless1911
Then stop trying to do the same thing to Mark and his school. stainless1911
I am doing no such thing.
I simply stated that he said two things that should not have been said by a CPL instructor.
If he was such a good instructor he would have made sure all of his students knew how to handle their firearm in public and where they cannot carry concealed.
I have made my point and I am done with this thread.