• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

11 Reasons Not To Talk To The Police

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Ok, you threw a nice twist in there, something about people going off in a SUV.

Anyways, most likely, someone else will beat you to the 911 call afterwords (at least if they are present), due to you being pumped with adrenaline, and perhaps temporarily deaf from the gunshots. I am sure they will let the police know if someone is driving off or whateverzzzz.

But anyways, this is ridiculous, unsubscribe.

And btw, when you report me or whatever, scan a copy of the paperwork and post it up, let me get that free publicity yo! ;)

Tawnos

imported post

As to why are we wanting to take advice from a position of someone who has committed a crime.
It has nothing to do with "the position of someone who has committed a crime" and everything to do with protecting yourself legally after you have protected yourself physically.
While there are some issues that are good in Self Defense but not to provide minimal information as to Who committed an act to cause you to be in fear for your life and witnesses to What they used to support your lawful use of Deadly Force, Where it occurred when you called 911 to report the incident and where any evidence you now the location of, and When did it occur.
That is not needed, and may be ill advised. For example, the who may show that you knew the person or that you saw something about them (race, for example) which makes you seem more guilty. You do not need to support your lawful use of deadly force when you're there on the street, and you (BigDave) need to stop focusing on that. Where it occurred, fine, you need to get the police there. When is not important.
A statement of I was in fear for my life and my attorney advised me not to answer any questions and after I contact my attorney I will make myself available to you.
Why even state the first part? Simply say that you will not be making any statements about what happened or what you saw until you have your attorney present. They are not allowed to bring up the fact you would not speak until an attorney was there in court, so why wouldn't you wait? Saying anything, even something which seems to make you out to be the good guy (e.g. "I was in fear for my life") is saying too much.
We are in this to defend ourselves and or families or possibly others if we so choose and there is no excuse for not acting with in the law as there are many great training schools out there, all we have to do is take advantage of them and attend.
And some of the greatest training you can get is from lawyers who have had to represent clients time and time again. Why not take that advice, which has been clear and consistent: do not make a statement, do not talk to the police.
If you do not want to talk to the police then how do you report the crime? Can't call the Police now can we?
"911, what is your emergency"
"We need an ambulance at <address>, there is a man here who was shot."
"May I have your <name, phone number, etc>"
"Please just send an ambulance" *hang up*
You make *no* statement regarding yourself, and you make *no* statement to the police. If someone else is calling, then don't call, let them do it.

Did you just shoot them with that firearm on your side? or I don't know how he got shot?
Play Sgt Schultz "I Know Nothinggggg!"
When did it happen? how long ago did they jump into a black 4 door dodge and drove off north bound from here, oh but wait do not talk to the police about where his accomplices or witnesses left, hmmm looking good so far isn't.
Non sequitur.

There is some evidence that is time sensitive and if you do not act it will be gone for ever for your use to support you acted appropriately.
You do not need to prove your innocence. They need to prove your guilt. Get it straight.

It does not matter if you like me or not it has nothing to do with this topic or any other topic take time to read and think through it, do not be a sheep and blindly follow a genertic article that does not address the issues of an affirmative defense.
Why do you keep bringing up affirmative defense as if it requires you take special action upon police arrival?

If nothing else do yourself and your family a huge favor and an investment into your and their future and talk to a firearms attorney on the issue.
Odd, the firearms attorney on here has said the same thing - do not talk to the police: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=41462&forum_id=55
You seem to disregard that advice, instead saying "don't talk to the police, except to tell them that you were scared for your life."

1970camaroRS

imported post

Stop worrying about going to jail for a couple hours while they sort out the defensive shooting facts.  YOUR WORDS MAY COME BACK TO HAUNT YOU!

My sis, a Lawyer in Vegas told me to keep my mouth shut and to never get in trouble in WA because her Bar exam doesn't cover her here. Other than that I have always been told to say, "I has in fear of my life and I shot until the guy fell down." Nothing more.

1970camaroRS

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
Why, bigdave, you just PMed me asking if my name is Kimgene Nguyen.

Why yes, it is, I'd like to make this public sir, please don't PM me with your crap.

And if you would take a look at this thread, and look at the picture halfway down, I am the "boy", directly in the middle of the standing folks.

Have fun, fantasizing about all the things you can do in the great outdoors, I am sorry if you are surrounded by dark walls.

Whoops forgot to add the link lol,

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/36127-5.html

This might help him if he can't click on your link:
[left tp right]uncoolperson, 1970camaroRS(Nathan), Bryce, ..., Knock-Off Dragunov(Brandon), Aryk45XD, Poosharker(Kimgene Nguyen), sudden valley gunner, Project wilderness1, Project Wilderness2, ... [kneeling]tyguy808
27778_121812914505459_100000302545291_179735_7695844_n.jpg

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

Ok, fine... We will stay on topic.No puppies, this time.

People can take a lesson from the police themselves. In the event of a police officer shooting a perp. The Officer will and is required to have council present. When they make an official statement of the account in question. This being said. In the event you had to defend yourself with deadly force. Less is more. You Iassure you will not be in the clearest of mind after the incident. Despite the aggressive coercion from the police. Despite you being 100% right and justified in your actions. You need to take time to reflect on the situation and collect your thoughts. Your mouth can run faster then your mind when say the cops are playing your friend and saying how the guy had it coming. One dumb wrong word that you may not have meant or even agree with can come spilling out of your dumb mouth and THAT will be your Official statement. :uhoh:Andyou don't gettake backs.

I'm not saying to be a stone wall A-hole. How you conduct yourself, yourdemeanor your overall presents when in the act of not immediately listing your accounts of the situation can speakvolumes about you. Negatively or positively. Cops are self proclaimed psychoanalysts anda great deal of therejudgments are based on opinion and not Law.It's human nature and they are not above it.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

First guys: Big Dave does understand the issue he states to give limited affirmative information. Well thought out ahead of time. If you do not understand this then say nothing and wait for your attorney. If you are interested in what to say after a self defense shooting ONLY then do some more research.

Second, Big Dave please have thicker skin and attack issues and ideas, it will serve the forum better.

An aside, I know you are in Yakima, but Dave do you participate in OC or have you ever met anyone from the board?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

1970camaroRS wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
Why, bigdave, you just PMed me asking if my name is Kimgene Nguyen.

Why yes, it is, I'd like to make this public sir, please don't PM me with your crap.

And if you would take a look at this thread, and look at the picture halfway down, I am the "boy", directly in the middle of the standing folks.

Have fun, fantasizing about all the things you can do in the great outdoors, I am sorry if you are surrounded by dark walls.

Whoops forgot to add the link lol,

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/36127-5.html

This might help him if he can't click on your link:
[left tp right]uncoolperson, 1970camaroRS(Nathan), Bryce, ..., Knock-Off Dragunov(Brandon), Aryk45XD, Poosharker(Kimgene Nguyen), sudden valley gunner, Project wilderness1, Project Wilderness2, ... [kneeling]tyguy808
27778_121812914505459_100000302545291_179735_7695844_n.jpg

It was so childish for us to engage in some civic volunteering, clean up a popular recreation area, and then have fun. And yes we fired some weapons and dedicated it to some Trolls all in good humor.

Harrassment is harrassment if I get attacked in PM I make the PM public. Wanna read the one he sent to me it's hilarious.

Apparently he just googled your name and thinks he is a great sleuth because he discovered your real name.

Yep the best bet in a self defense situation is to state thefear foryour life and then to zip it.

Thanks for posting this spyder.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

First of all this was a civil discussion until Twanos turned it into an attack toward me.

The PM I sent to Poosharker was after his implied threat "we did a shoot at the gravel pit dedicated just for you too," and then to return with a comment "That way we can all see the face of bigdave and come to a conclusion about our thoughts on these trouble makers online." I feel it would be irresponsible if I had posted his real name on the forum and did so in a PM, he was dumb enough to do that.

This is the exact thing that places a negative view upon all who legally carry. It is childish and is a good reason an 18YO is not ready to carry yet even though while some are enlisted in the Military they are under direct supervision and Poosharker should be one who is keep under constant supervision.

Coordinated clean ups are great to help improve areas of unsupervised shooting ranges and is greatly appreciated.

Now we have an organized group partaking into an activity that promotes hostility toward others by symbolizing certain people on OCDO and shooting it to demonstrate what you would like to do to them, is this what you are really about?

While OCDO has some members that have and do good things, there are members in this group that demonstrate how irresponsible they can be as well.
Do you really need to be told that putting on a demonstration as this is not a good thing?
Some have stated this was done in good fun! Really! It was a very poor choice, I can think of hundreds of ways to have fun that does not include taking out aggression of people you disagree with using firearms.

This Washington group is reminding me more and more of PDO everyday and that is a shame.

Oh forgot to add, SVG please do post those videos and Poosharker told us about, it would be good for discussion, wouldn't it?
I would think if you do not then maybe you also think it was a bad idea after all?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
First guys: Big Dave does understand the issue he states to give limited affirmative information. Well thought out ahead of time. If you do not understand this then say nothing and wait for your attorney. If you are interested in what to say after a self defense shooting ONLY then do some more research.

Second, Big Dave please have thicker skin and attack issues and ideas, it will serve the forum better.

An aside, I know you are in Yakima, but Dave do you participate in OC or have you ever met anyone from the board?
Well?

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BigDave wrote:
Now we have an organized group partaking into an activity that promotes hostility toward others by symbolizing certain people on OCDO and shooting it to demonstrate what you would like to do to them, is this what you are really about?
I never saw any comment that said that that was what they would like to do to them. That's just your interpretation.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:

Well?
Oh forgot to add, SVG please do post those videos and Poosharker told us about, it would be good for discussion, wouldn't it?
I would think if you do not then maybe you also think it was a bad idea after all?

Well !

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BigDave wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:

Well?

Well !

69Charger

imported post

I have been in court when the Defense attorney was chewing out his client for talking to the police. :(
Make thing easier for yourself. Tell them you wish to talk to an attorney and have nothing else to say . :?
Dave

Tawnos

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Is there intelligent life in here ? :lol: Still waiting ! :cool:
Are you going to respond to any of the raised points, or continue to misspell my nickname and act like a child?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:

Well?
This is a simple question. Your unwillingness to answer sparks my curiousity. Often times Dave you have interesting thoughts on the subject matter.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

69Charger wrote:
I have been in court when the Defense attorney was chewing out his client for talking to the police. :(
Make thing easier for yourself. Tell them you wish to talk to an attorney and have nothing else to say . :?
Dave
Charger now supply a little more info here, was it a self defense case? traffic, civil or criminal?
This is at the root of the problem here is that generic statements are being made and with out thought or processing the information the easy answer is shut up don't say anything.

I never took on this right to Keep and Bear Arms to make it easy, we have a duty to become educated on issues as this and when you close your mind to learning or ideas then you loose in the end.

And of course there are going to be those that will not just shut up and there are those that will help their case in securing perishable evidence that will assist in your position that you acted in self defense.

It is surprising that the few here complaining about my position cannot understand their is a difference from pointing out evidence and giving a statement, it is pretty simple.