• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry between 18-21 years old

Fetus

imported post

under the new Arizona law can you still open carry if you are between 18 -21 years old ??

what about glovebox carry ??

thanks .

Ltp0wer

imported post

Yes you can still open carry.

Also a new think involving us 18-20 year olds is that concealed carry for us is now a misdemeanor.

Glovebox carry is still fine, and it is still fine to have your gun in it's holster anywhere in the car. (Though caselaw is a little fuzzy on the last part)

mFonz77

imported post

This law solidifies the preemption on open carry pursuant to the 1994 appellate verdicts. Carry on!

azcdlfred

imported post

Fetus wrote:
under the new Arizona law can you still open carry if you are between 18 -21 years old ?? what about glovebox carry ??
You can find the text of the new law here.

The old "glove box" section has been deleted, along with all the old lanugage regarding open carry and vehicle carry that were the basis for the obfuscating 1994 Adams and Moerman decisions.

However a new section 13-3102.B.3 has been added that addresses the exceptions to 13-3102.A.1 (unlawful carry for under 21). This new section restates the old open carry and vehicle carry, including "glove box." The open carry language is better written than the old law. In the old lawthe holster had to be visible and worn on the belt, which pretty much made shoulder holsters and IWB illegal.

I'm not an attorney and I don't play one on TV.

Fred

Snakemathis

imported post

So with this new law will we now be allowed to OC with a IWB holster with the grip showing like the ladies in the picture above? I know it wasn't permitted before but I believe the new wording allows it, correct?

azcdlfred

imported post

Snakemathis wrote:
So with this new law will we now be allowed to OC with a IWB holster with the grip showing like the ladies in the picture above? I know it wasn't permitted before but I believe the new wording allows it, correct?
That's how I read it. Here's the text:
"a manner where any portion of the fireram OR holster in which the fiearm is carried is visible. A holster that is wholly or partially visible."

To me that says IWB is OK. My personal advice if you are under 21 and carrying is to dress like Chatsworth Osborn, Jr. and be as unobtrusive as possible because you will be stopped for "carrying under 21" and depending on how you respond you may get a free prostate check.

Fred

me812

imported post

Also a new think involving us 18-20 year olds is that concealed carry for us is now a misdemeanor.

It was always a misdemeanor.