• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

11 Reasons Not To Talk To The Police

eye95

imported post

Not all advice is good advice. For example, leading folks to believe that, if they are smart enough, they can try to out-smart the police while talking to them would be horrible advice.

cscitney87

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Not all advice is good advice. For example, leading folks to believe that, if they are smart enough, they can try to out-smart the police while talking to them would be horrible advice.
Advice is just that; advice. Don't like it? Then don't take it.

Don't insult our forum members by pretending they can't think for themselves.

Our forum users and visitors know how to demonstrate Critical Thinking. They can decide, for themselves, which advice to follow. But I appreciate you looking after our members like that. I think that shows initiative, solidarity, and motivation. Good for you! :)

eye95

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Advice is just that; advice. Don't like it? Then don't take it.

Don't insult our forum members by pretending they can't think for themselves.

Our forum users and visitors know how to demonstrate Critical Thinking. They can decide, for themselves, which advice to follow. But I appreciate you looking after our members like that. I think that shows initiative, solidarity, and motivation. Good for you! :)
Not insulting anyone. Just pointing out advice that is bad enough to be dangerous.

Anyway, nothing more to be gained by continuing to post in this sub-thread. So, I'll just move on.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Lmao Yeah

Have a good time remaining silent on your next MWAG call. I'll be praying for you.
That's the problem right there. You take it literally. Remaining silent is just the shorthand way of saying do not say anything that could possibly be used against you for any reason in court.

You comparison between a moving violation and a criminal investigation is, and has already been pointed out to be, preposterous. You com into a thread about why not to talk to police during an investigation and you smart off about how anyone can out-smart a cop and get out of a speeding ticket. You spout off about how 'remaining silent' can't get you out of a MWAG call. Under your narrow view, you're probably right.

We never said don't be polite. We never said don't exchange pleasantries. We never said don't thank them for their service. You put those words in our mouths.

In a MWAG situation, obey all commands, refuse to consent to any searches/seizures, and don't answer any questions you don't have to. Don't be rude, don't resist physically. If you're doing nothing wrong, they don't have the authority to detain you or compel you to answer their questions. If they have to ask, they don't have enough evidence/RAS to compel.

cscitney87

imported post

"That's the problem right there. You take it literally. Remaining silent is just the shorthand way of saying do not say anything that could possibly be used against you for any reason in court."

FAIL

After the "Not talking until I see my lawyer" you are strictly forbidden from speaking.

And the link provides 11 Reasons. Help yourself :)

cscitney87

imported post

And to further clarify

http://www.cja.us/news/11-reasons-not-to-talk-to-the-police/

This doesn’t mean “Deny having committed the crime.” It means telling the police officer that your attorney has advised you not to answer any questions, and then saying nothing else to anybody until you talk to him or her.

Dang, McD, you sure are smart. I'm glad you took the time to read the article. This excerpt is from the very first paragraph.

FAIL

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

You are a crack shot. I certainly hope this wound to my pride isn't fatal. :p

I guess in this case I do not agree with the article. :what:It's okay, though, I still disagree with you. I have no problem exchanging pleasantries with an officer, or any other stranger for that matter, but once the pleasantries turn into an investigation the only responses they are getting from me are questions and assertions of right.

You still haven't sufficiently addressed the differences between a moving violation and suspicion of serious criminal activity. Would you really exchange banter and try to outsmart a homicide detective? Even if you truly were innocent?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Trying to outsmart LEO is a very very bad idea and a good way to get into more trouble.

I am a builder I can't tell you how many times a person who may be smarter than me has tried to "outsmart" me in my industry, guess what I know my industry and they usually can't.

Whoever thinks an LEO hasn't heard it all before needs to rethink that strategy, maybe talk to a lawyer first.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
In agreement. There are many situations where you are competent enough to speak to police officers. As long as you are able to *Think before you *Speak; you should be perfectly capable.

I think this whole *NEVER talk to the police idea is a load of crap.

Let me first ask;

1) Are you thinking this officer is smarter than you? Are you smarter than the police officer? More cunning? You should be able to take that cop for a ride and back.

Talk your way out of it.

2) Do you have anything you shouldn't have? You can talk your way out of a search. Cops are humans too, as noted, and as such are susceptible to trickery. Talk your way Out of the search and be on your way.

3) Have I done anything wrong? If NOT; please, feel free to chat it up with any officer of the law. If you are truly innocent; there is nothing to be afraid of. If you feel like talking; talk. If you don't want to talk; don't talk.

All I want to ask is do you have a voice recorder with you while talking to the cops who is accusing you of committing a crime. A cop can write down anything they want in their report and twist your statements into anything else they need for the prosecutor to get a conviction.
If you dispute his report in court you will not win the argument because the cop is always seen as having better credibility. So if you STFU and do not say a word, there is nothing for that cop to twist and use out of context.

Nothing you can ever say to a cop can be used in your defense, it can only be used against you. So if you know every single word you utter will be specifically used against you, why would you give them that?

You think if you are totally innocent and telling the cops the absolute truth can only help? Please explain that to me! Because if your attorney has the cop repeat your statement verbatim in court, the prosecutor will object to it being hearsay and the judge will sustain his objection!

Nothing you say to a cop will ever help you, it will only go against you. So my suggestion is to STFU, you will never win a roadside argument with a cop anyways.

Talk your way out of a search? If a cop has probable cause, he will search. There is no way of talking your way out of it.
Not consenting to a search without probable cause is a different story. That is called exercising your rights, not talking your way out of it!

M

McX

imported post

gotta add reason number 12; because if you cooperate they will come back, and bust you later.

cscitney87

imported post

Lmao you guys are really funny. Look these are the facts..

http://www.cja.us/news/11-reasons-not-to-talk-to-the-police/

This doesn’t mean “Deny having committed the crime.” It means telling the police officer that your attorney has advised you not to answer any questions, and then saying nothing else to anybody until you talk to him or her.
[line]
So... When a police officer gets a MWAG call. He approaches you and you are Open Carrying. You are questioned as to why you have a pistol.

You can remain silent all day. See how that works out for you and your family.

OR

As suggested on OCDO; you can politely explain that you are Open Carrying.
[line]
Are you guys REALLY going to make me post every single thread and link from OCDO that deals with MWAG call? Not a single suggestion includes giving the lawyer statement and shutting up. As we sadly know from experience; remaining silent on a MWAG call CAN AND MAY (not WILL) result in your pistol being taken (temporarily or not) and sitting in a squad car.

LIKE I SAID PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME POST ALL THE THREADS AND LINKS
[line]
The simple fact is. You are better off Talking To and Explaining to the police officer. Instead of remaining silent.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=43014&forum_id=50&highlight=kwik

What would have happened to KWIK if he had remained silent with that Navy service pistol in his hand?

What will happen to You when cops draw on you; demanding to know why you are are OCing (at a children's play park in the city)(OR ANYWHERE)? You won't remain silent; that's for Damn sure.

cscitney87

imported post

Now it's time to put your foot in your mouth.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/13566.html

Thread titled "If an Officer asks for your gun..."

ScottyT

"We would both be a lot safer with all weapons snugly in their holsters, but if you insist on disarming me, I will not resist. Could you please remove the holster and gun to avoid any possibility of injury to either one of us?"

yeahYeah

"get your hands out of my thunderwear, sir!"

Carolina40

"uhh, I have a Serpa - this may take a while..."

SouthernBoy

What about, "I'll let you have mine if you let me have yours".

ConditionThree
Activist Member

'Im sorry officer, I did not initiate this contact or this search. If you need instruction on how to remove the firearm from my triple retention holster, I would gladly give them in the presence of my attorney."

codename_47

If an officer asked for my gun and he had no authority to demand it, I'd refocus the situation with something like "Surely you didn't pull me over to fondle my gun..."

I would make it quite clear in no uncertain terms that any advances are unwelcome, probably with many 4 letter words sprinkled in, to make it clear that I am not WILLINGLY giving up my property, which they will most certainly will in my 1983 lawsuit.

Venator

If the weapon is not on my person but in a console, etc... I would say something like this....

"officer I would rather not touch my firearm, I will get out of the car and lock my doors and place the keys on the hood for your safety."
[line]
That thread has about Eight (8) pages of What to say to a cop. None of the posts instruct the OCer to Lawer up and Remain Silent.
:lol::lol::lol:

Deanimator

imported post

In Ohio when stopped for something beyond an obvious vehicular traffic infraction:

If carrying concealed, "promptly" notify, shouting over the officer to do so if necessary. Do NOT obey a command to remain silent. A Beachwood man was falsely arrested, indicted, tried and acquitted for obeying cops' commands to remain silent during a felony stop... for ***51 seconds***. Provide your CHL and a second form of ID if asked for it.

If openly carrying, you need NO ID AT ALL. If asked to, you must verbally identify yourself.

Memorize:

"Officer, am I free to leave?" Repeat this as necessary until you get a yes or no answer.

If the answer is "yes", leave immediately. Do NOT further engage the cop.
If the answer is "no", state clearly, "Officer, I have nothing further to say without my attorney present." Say nothing else except to repeat your invocation of your right to remain silent.

If asked to consent to a search, "Officer I do not consent to any searches." If he ignores your denial of consent, do not physically resist.

Carry a voice recorder and use it. Ohio is a one party consent state for audio recording. You may record any conversation to which you are a party, and without either the permission or knowledge of any other party. Police are quite prone to exercises in "creative writing". If necessary, FOIA request any documentation of the encounter. Do not tel the cop that you are recording or inform any supervisors that the encounter was recorded until you have official copies of all reports, recordings, etc. Making local defense attorneys aware of an officer's "flights of fancy" can make his next court testimony a VERY exciting experience for him. The odds are, no prosecutor will allow him to testify under oath again.

cscitney87

imported post

Great advice. Voice recorders are almost second nature, aren't they? Whew those really can come in handy. Thanks Deanimator for the calm and cool voice of reason.
:cool: