• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone carry a Taurus 24/7?

TyNV

imported post

I'm looking into into purchasing one in .40cal and wanted to see if anyone owns one. I'd like to know your experience with the firearm.
As of now, It's between the Taurus 24/7 and Springfield XDm in .40cal.

Thanks, TyNV

Eeyore

imported post

I don't have a 24/7, butI carry a PT111. The MillPros are basically a subcompact 24/7--they have the same trigger and other controls.

My Taurus works fine, although I did have to return it for repair after about 500 rounds (broken striker spring). The trigger is very rubbery, but apparently that's the price for the "second strike" capability. I've gotten used to the trigger and the Heinie sights over time.

To me, the advantages of a 24/7 over the XD or XDm are: lower price, second-strike capability, manual safety, and possibly ergos. The advantages of the XD/XDm are better loaded-chamber indicator, a striker indicator, and (IMHO) higher quality overall. Also, their popularity gives you more choices for holsters, night sights, etc.

Given the choice between a 24/7 and an XD40, I'd choose an M&P 40. ;)

VAopencarry

imported post

I'd go with the Springfield. However, if price is a consideration take the Taurus. I have owned a 9mm 24/7. It was a fine gun, no complaints, except I don't like the Heine sights.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Good choice, still have the XD on my short list, haven't any problems with the
taurus 24/7 in 40. I do worry about long term ware on those oh so comfortable grips.
But I love the trigger feel myself. Big long fingers don't mind a long pull I guess.
The idea of a child safety that can't be enabled till after you pull the trigger
I don't find very useful. But I don't plan on ever using that feature anyways.
Don't dry fire manual says, but you can't use child safety unless you dry fire it.
I guess you could put the gun in a vice to keep it from cycling and fire a round
to use it, but to much trouble for me. Teaching child proper gun safety is much
easier, safer, and deters the bad elements of society more than having a paper
weight in the house.

But lots more choices for holsters with the XD, have yet to find an active retention
for taurus, also never got my 1 year NRA free membership (what a loss that is).
But I bought it to have a hammerless, and a 40 cal size. for that it does both.
Plus to show the wife my criminal background doesn't prohibit me.:cool: