• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry article in OC Register

demnogis

imported post

Unloaded guns in public is 2nd Amendment Cause

So far not a bad article. Pretty straight down the line, neither for nor against. It lacks cites to CA PC, CCW issuance problems and a few other notes.

If you want to crap your pants laughing, just read the comments. Those people spend more time attacking each-other than really addressing the issue at hand. But, what can you say... That's Orange County :uhoh:

ryanburbridge

imported post

Sorry I posted this same story befor I found this one.

http://m.ocregister.com/ocregister/pm_6794/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=mAxGAFNs

I found this story and wanted to know what you guys thought.

" I'll add Serrao only carried a toy gun on Sunday, something he does when debuting an open carry in a new city. "

Why would anyone carry a toy gun?
Can you carry a toy gun in a school zone?
This to me is stupid and counter productive. I have started to carry every day for self defence not a political statement. Would any one here carry a toy? Are the guys in this story on this forum? If they are could they explain more about this?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

While Bob did a great job delivering an almost verbatim account of my three-point reasoning to carry exposed, the fact that he carried a toy gun is certainly a 'fail'.

This in itself was a crime, even though the constabulary appears to have let it slide.

ryanburbridge

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
While Bob did a great job delivering an almost verbatim account of my three-point reasoning to carry exposed, the fact that he carried a toy gun is certainly a 'fail'.

This in itself was a crime, even though the constabulary appears to have let it slide.

please prvide reference to actual law or case law. This was one of my questions. Also what is the point of carrying a toy this makes us look stupid. IMO

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ryanburbridge wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:

please prvide reference to actual law or case law. This was one of my questions. Also what is the point of carrying a toy this makes us look stupid. IMO

12556. (a) No person may openly display or expose any imitation
firearm, as defined in Section 12550, in a public place.[/quote]

California PC 12550 defined.
As used in this article, the following definitions apply:
(a) "BB device" is defined in subdivision (g) of Section 12001.
(b) "Firearm" is defined in subdivision (b) of Section 12001.
(c) "Imitation firearm" means any BB device, toy gun, replica of a
firearm, or other device that is so substantially similar in
coloration and overall appearance to an existing firearm as to lead a
reasonable person to perceive that the device is a firearm.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
This in itself was a crime if the toy gun was not brightly colored so as to be obviously a toy gun, even though the constabulary appears to have let it slide.
Fixed.

ETA citation:

12555(c)
Code:
    As used in this section, "[b]imitation[/b] [b]firearm[/b]" does not include
any of the following:
(1) A nonfiring collector's replica that is historically
significant, and is offered for sale in conjunction with a wall
plaque or presentation case.
(2) A BB device, as defined in subdivision (g) of Section 12001.
(3) A device where the entire exterior surface of the device is
white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright
blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the
predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, as
provided by federal regulations governing [b]imitation[/b] firearms, or
where the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent
materials which permits unmistakable observation of the device's
complete contents, as provided by federal regulations governing
[b]imitation[/b] firearms.

NightOwl

imported post

Really wish I could vote yes on that poll. Sigh.

Interesting how the ask if you support "open carry" at the top of the page, then at the actual poll itself they change it to "unloaded open carry". No, I don't support unloaded open carry, it's crap.

Army

imported post

NightOwl wrote:
Really wish I could vote yes on that poll. Sigh.

Interesting how the ask if you support "open carry" at the top of the page, then at the actual poll itself they change it to "unloaded open carry". No, I don't support unloaded open carry, it's crap.
We all support carry by any means, but we all don't have that choice, do we.

UOC is the ONLY LEGAL MEANS I HAVE to protect myself and others in public. Until that changes, I will support and practice UOC.

coolusername2007

imported post

Good article overall, and fairly decent video. I do not recommend carrying toy guns as an initial "training day" opportunity for new open carriers. Not only could this be illegal, its just bad form in my opinion and could potentially lead to unintended consequences.

Correction to a point made in the article:
When the Panthers walked into the state capitol building in Sacramento during the civil rights era, they carried loaded weapons – which it was legal to do.
According to the CA State Senate Sergeant at Arms website this is not true. http://www2.senate.ca.gov/portal/site/SENSergeant/SENSergeantNavHistory

Black Panthers marched into the Assembly chamber. Then Assembly Chief Sergeant-at-Arms ordered the protesters out while terrified legislators hid behind their desks. The protesters, whose guns where not loaded, complied by leaving the building. Although they were not breaking any laws at the time, the next day legislation was introduced to make it illegal to bring weapons or firearms into the State Capitol.

Gundude

imported post

http://keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives/XcNewsPlus.asp?cmd=SHOWTOP

“It was Governor Ronald Reagan of California who signed the Mulford Act in 1967, ‘prohibiting the carrying of firearms on one's person or in a vehicle, in any public place or on any public street.’ The law was aimed at stopping the Black Panthers, but affected all gun owners.

“Twenty-four years later, Reagan was still pushing gun control. ‘I support the Brady Bill,’ he said in a March 28, 1991 speech, ‘and I urge the Congress to enact it without further delay.’"