• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sad day for my AK-47

1970camaroRS

imported post

After the North Fork gravel pit clean-up, my Inter Ordnance AK-47 failed, in a bad way. I thought I had a fail to feed, so I cleared the gun, charged a new round and....not even a click...a terrible thud sound! I cleared the gun, removed the mag and took the gun back to my buddy's truck. This is what I found when I removed the cover:

27778_121852217834862_100000302545291_179882_1830011_n.jpg

27778_121852221168195_100000302545291_179883_2000916_n.jpg

27778_121852231168194_100000302545291_179885_3944279_n.jpg

Note: the firing pin retainer is still in the bolt...

I have NO clue why the firing pin was hung and the hammer obviously bent the firing pin. New pin on the way, we will see if this happens again. Sad thing too because I was chasing a can across the gravel pit and having a hell of a fun time.

oneeyeross

imported post

Making the world safe again, one can at a time....

Now, see, if'n that was an SKS, you'd still be shooting....

sirpuma

imported post

I know exactly what happened, or some semblance to it. My best guestimate is you had a round that split a primer as you fired it, forcing the hot flaming gasses into the bolt. this would create lots of pressure against the firing pin but since it fills the hole nicely it worked more like a piston driving it over the retaining pin. The bolt cycled normally and chambered the next round. When you fired it the hammer hit the firing pin but since it was on the wrong side of the retaining pin it couldn't move and only went thud, bending the firing pin.

You have a couple options. You can clean up the cut on the firing pin to square it up and straighten it out and put it back in (removing the retaining pin and reinstalling it). Or you can just buy a new firing pin and install it.

It is also entirely possible that this happened simply due to wear and not a split primer. With enough inertia a firing pin with a very worn retaining pin cut could pop past it.

Matt85

imported post

as said above its an easy/cheap fix. if you want some good sites to help you fix it, lemme know.

heck, if your willing to drive to me ill fix it for you. :)

-matt

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I'm sure these AK bolts are easy to get but I happen to be sitting on one I brought back from Desert Storm. Let me know if you need it to get up and running again.

1970camaroRS

imported post

Thanks guys. Matt85-I think I can handle it, but we should meet up sometime anyway. I'm technically in Everett. M1Gunr- If the bolt you have is complete with the firing pin already installed, it might be the easiest/quickest solution for me. PM on the way to you. Besides, it's always nice to have spares.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
tony d tiger wrote:
looks kinda' unsupported... just sayin' :uhoh:
It's probably 'cuz he's actually a southpaw!!!!

...and his very first time....and I think he enjoyed it.

I just wanted a pic of someone of Vietnameseheritage shooting an SKS.

What a great country we have let's keep it free.

Holey 1

imported post

1970camaroRS,
I probably don't have to mention it but don't forget to check head space if you change that bolt. Me, I check head space on every AK I acquire new or used and every time I make a change that could change head space. But that's just me. While some people don't appreciate my face, I've become rather attached to it.

PS: Before the flames start, AK's are not the only weapons I check before using. They all get thorough inspections before use, new, used or repaired.

Now go show those cans a thing or three.

Knock-Off Dragunov

imported post

Damn man, never thought I'd see the day there would be a "my AK just broke on me" thread, let alone be there when it happened!!

What are you going to do if the zombies come - get it fixed FAST!!!

Matt85

imported post

1970camaroRS wrote:
Thanks guys. Matt85-I think I can handle it, but we should meet up sometime anyway. I'm technically in Everett. M1Gunr- If the bolt you have is complete with the firing pin already installed, it might be the easiest/quickest solution for me. PM on the way to you. Besides, it's always nice to have spares.

it doesnt look like you need to replace the bolt, it just looks like it needs a new firing pin. replacing a bolt is far more difficult then replacing a firing pin since it usually requires headspacing.

as for meeting up, im always happy to have company at the local pistol range. just send me a PM some time.

-matt

1970camaroRS

imported post

Knock-Off Dragunov wrote:
Damn man, never thought I'd see the day there would be a "my AK just broke on me" thread, let alone be there when it happened!!

What are you going to do if the zombies come - get it fixed FAST!!!
My Ruger .45 has NEVER failed on me. I think zombies don't like .45 ACP much. Then there's always the Colt Mustang .380...

1970camaroRS

imported post

Matt85 wrote:
it doesnt look like you need to replace the bolt, it just looks like it needs a new firing pin. replacing a bolt is far more difficult then replacing a firing pin since it usually requires headspacing.

-matt
The bad news is that the firing pin retainer is so messed up that no ammount of force will drive it out. I will likely have to drill it out to make it usable again.