• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin CBS 8 News - People Promote Carrying Guns at Area Picnic

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.wkbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=12490744- video embedded

SNIP

People Promote Carrying Guns at Area Picnic
Posted:

wnRenderDate('Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:38 PM EST', '', true);

May 16, 2010 9:38 PM EDT [/i]Updated:

wnRenderDate('Monday, May 17, 2010 9:14 AM EST', '', true);

May 17, 2010 9:14 AM EDT [/i]

Reported byCynthia Schweigert

People in West Salem went to a picnic Sunday to make a point about their constitutional rights.

At the La Crosse County Open Carry Picnic,people came out to the park wearing their guns. Organizers say it's all an effort to exercise their rights, and educate the public. However, some people in our area just aren't sold the idea of carrying a gun in public.

At this picnic, people came packing.

"If we don't exercise the rights that we have, we might as well not even have them," said Ryan Woodhouse, who says he carries his firearm on him four to five times per week.

Ryan and his wife Kathy say they carry guns because they have the right to, and because they want to protect their family and people around them.Although, Ryan says he hopes it never comes to that.

"I pray everyday, every time I strap on a firearm, I honestly do, I pray that I won't have to use it," said Ryan.

When Wisconsin Carry hosted this event last year, the organization's Vice President says about half the people were carrying guns, he says now, about 80% are.

. . .

the families at Sunday's Open Carry Picnic say they shouldn't be taking heat for packing heat.

With the open carry laws there are five places people can't carry their firearm. Those places arecars, bars, government buildings, state parks, and one thousand feet from the edge of school property.

Right now Wisconsin Open Carry has a lawsuit against the state about carrying a firearm near school property, saying it's unconstitutional to restrict that zone since people who live within a thousand feet of school property can't exercise their open carry rights.

anmut

imported post

That's about right for any news article on the subject. Write ignorant sentences and use lines like "packing heat."

It's unfortunate that the media is run by such children.

hardballer

imported post

I posted a comment as follows:
Hi Jonds56, so no need to carry for self-defense at a picnic? Where exactly do you think it appropriate to carry then. I'm not trying to be confrontational here, I really am interested in where you think carry would be OK.

As noted above, bad things happen to good people and with bad times, you can multiply any statistics by a factor of 2 or more. Just open your eyes and look around. People are stressed out, out of money, out of food, out of patience. The general idea is to have the ability to defend yourself but never have to use it.

So when the bad guy shows up at the picnic or your door, or where ever you are and you left your chosen self -defense implement at home in a safe with a trigger lock, because that was the most appropriate place for it to be or the politically correct thing to do, or just becasue you're scared of what others might say or think, because . . . a picnic is such a butterflies, pansies and sunshine kinda deal, you and your family get killed that day because that was the day birdy, mentally unstable, had had enough, the last straw, grabbed a gun and indiscriminately killed 12 people and injured 25 others before ending himself. You and your family end up in the newspaper in the obituary column with comments like he was such a nice guy and very politically correct. Still dead. Cared much more about what people thought of him than the safety of his family.

Sure you went 43 years without ever needing a gun but that day, it would have been kind of a good idea to have one on your hip. Instead of a woulda - coulda - shoulda. Sorry, no do overs. You can't get that day back now, you're dust to dust and ashes to ashes.

UK News Wrap: 12 Dead, 25 Wounded in England Shooting Rampage. Everyone killed in this UK slaughter were just going about their daily business. No need for a gun. Except that day. Jogging, gardening, bicycling, hand in hand husband and wife walking. Folks were killed on their way to the park, on a bridge, on a walkway. You get the picture. This in England, the land of no guns and oppresive gun laws.

I live for today, not some fairy taled pie in the sky, bowl of cherries land where bad things never happen. Just ask the lady in the UK, who was just carrying her groceries home. Oh, that's right, you can't ask her, 'cause she's dead. And that is that. That's reality, the place where I live. Where do you live?

I don't care what people think about me or my open carry because I'm going to be the one still breathing at the end of the day, God willing.

The 7 P's - - - Prior Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.