• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSJ - Eleanor Holmes Norton: purpose of gun registration is "discouraging gun ownership"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

great article in today's Wall Street Journal - their map has a few mistakes but good effort - too bad they did not use OCDO's registration map to show how out of synch DC gun registration is compared to the rest of America - basically no state has such draconian registration requirements as DC, which has company pretty much only with New York City and Chicago.

---

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704093204575216680860962548.html

SNIP

The Supreme Court is now deliberating a case challenging handgun bans in Chicago and Oak Park, Ill., which are similar to the former ban in Washington, D.C., and is widely expected to side with gun-rights groups. The experience of Washington, D.C., however, suggests a pro-gun ruling by the Supreme Court doesn't mean an end to the matter. Here, the battle over whether residents can own guns has been replaced by a fresh debate over whether lawmakers can restrict legal gun ownership.

Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbia's non-voting representative in Congress, is blunt about the point of the city's laws: discouraging gun ownership.

"To get them you have to go through a bureaucracy that makes it difficult," she said in an interview. Her constituents tend to oppose firearms because of gun violence, she said. "Nobody thinks we would have fewer shootings and fewer homicides if we had more relaxed gun laws."

. . .

Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, said the city's new rules strike against the spirit of the Supreme Court's decision. "Can you go out and buy guns in D.C. and defend yourself as the Supreme Court said you should be able to? No. The citizens can't experience the freedom from a practical level. What good is winning it philosophically?"

. . .

Eeyore

imported post

Mike wrote:
SNIP

Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbia's non-voting representative in Congress, is blunt about the point of the city's laws: discouraging gun ownership.

"To get them you have to go through a bureaucracy that makes it difficult," she said in an interview. Her constituents tend to oppose firearms because of gun violence, she said. "Nobody thinks we would have fewer shootings and fewer homicides if we had more relaxed gun laws."
I beg to differ with the Honorable Dingbat from the District. :p

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Eeyore wrote:
Mike wrote:
SNIP

I beg to differ with the Honorable Dingbat from the District. :p
I have no problem if there is an increase in thugs getting shot because the citizens now have a means to protect themselves.

Dreamer

imported post

The problem that Ms. Norton is concerned with isn't so much an increase in thugs getting popped by law-abiding citizens. She--like most career politicians--is by definition a sociopath, and has proven that she's not really concerned with reducing crime in DC, or the health and safety of the law-abiding citizens in the District.

It's that she realizes that she may lose a significant portion of her voter base if the thugs all move to MD, where it would be safer for them...

Follow the money (and the votes), folks...

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
The problem that Ms. Norton is concerned with isn't so much an increase in thugs getting popped by law-abiding citizens. She--like most career politicians--is by definition a sociopath, and has proven that she's not really concerned with reducing crime in DC, or the health and safety of the law-abiding citizens in the District.

It's that she realizes that she may lose a significant portion of her voter base if the thugs all move to MD, where it would be safer for them...

Follow the money (and the votes), folks...

Are you really of the opinion that the average street criminal is also the average voter? I have to say that analogy is foolhardy at best. I'd bet dollars to donuts you couldn't find a thug (unless you count the ones wearing state issued costumes)at the polls on the best day.

Now if you would have said that her concern was solely based on filling the District coffers with funding for more police etc.(feeding leviathan)then I would say you were right on target.

Dreamer

imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
Are you really of the opinion that the average street criminal is also the average voter? I have to say that analogy is foolhardy at best. I'd bet dollars to donuts you couldn't find a thug (unless you count the ones wearing state issued costumes)at the polls on the best day.

I have just two words in answer to that:

Marion Berry

Nuff sed... :lol:

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Dreamer wrote:

I have just two words in answer to that:

Marion Berry

Nuff sed... :lol:
Did you even consider all the "children" the drug dealers had to corrupt when they
stopped the mayor from using tax dollars to support the crack ho's. Now they waste
all that money enforcing stupidity in the capital, insted of helping re-elect idiots
who hire independent contract labor and help stimulate the economy. :lol:

Did he ever loose his gun rights? I don't remember the issue during the trail and his
re-election ever being mentioned. After all it was all just racism that made him smoke
the white mans crack.

Only thing Reagan did right!!
OMG, I am so not right!

SIGguy229

imported post

Mike wrote:

. . .
I guess this dolt has not read the BoR...especially where the 2A says "...shall not be infringed"

Someone needs to read the definition of "infringed" to her. Her very statement is contrary to the meaning of the 2A.

But then again, if she read the Constitution, she would see where the District CAN NOT be a state...to do so would be unconstitutional,

What a mental midget.

Dreamer

imported post

Crazy like a fox, maybe...

For 33 years, the DC government has colluded with Federal authorities and the Courts to suppress the Constitutionally-protected civil rights of the residents of DC in an organized criminal conspiracy of operatic proportion.

And even now, after Heller, the DC government is being handled with kid gloves even though their actions and policies with regards to legal handgun ownership are obviously and flagrantly in contempt of the SCOTUS ruling.

So, EHN, the Mayor, and the Chief of DCMP might be fools, or mildly insane, but for all intents and purposes handguns are still not legal to own by "normal people" in DC. Even after Heller. Crazy like foxes, they are... :uhoh:

Rep. norton, Mayor Fenty and Chief Lanier are involved in an organized enterprise to deny law-abiding residents of their Constitutionally-protected, civil and basic human rights. Someone should swear out arrest warrants for them under RICO, and have them prosecuted for racketeering, criminal conspiracy, and collusion to deny civil rights.

And after that they should be brought up on Federal Treason charges by the FBI for colluding to violate their sworn oaths of office to uphold the Constitution, and for endangering the law-abiding citizens, communters, and tourists of the District.

And after they have been duly convicted of their crimes, they should be sentenced to work as Barristas in a Starbucks in an OC-friendly state for the rest o their natural lives, so that they can serve their sentence in the most painful way possible--witnessing how people who are really FREE live... ;)

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Crazy like a fox, maybe...

For 33 years, the DC government has colluded with Federal authorities and the Courts to suppress the Constitutionally-protected civil rights of the residents of DC in an organized criminal conspiracy of operatic proportion.

And even now, after Heller, the DC government is being handled with kid gloves even though their actions and policies with regards to legal handgun ownership are obviously and flagrantly in contempt of the SCOTUS ruling.

So, EHN, the Mayor, and the Chief of DCMP might be fools, or mildly insane, but for all intents and purposes handguns are still not legal to own by "normal people" in DC. Even after Heller. Crazy like foxes, they are... :uhoh:

Rep. norton, Mayor Fenty and Chief Lanier are involved in an organized enterprise to deny law-abiding residents of their Constitutionally-protected, civil and basic human rights. Someone should swear out arrest warrants for them under RICO, and have them prosecuted for racketeering, criminal conspiracy, and collusion to deny civil rights.

And after that they should be brought up on Federal Treason charges by the FBI for colluding to violate their sworn oaths of office to uphold the Constitution, and for endangering the law-abiding citizens, communters, and tourists of the District.

And after they have been duly convicted of their crimes, they should be sentenced to work as Barristas in a Starbucks in an OC-friendly state for the rest o their natural lives, so that they can serve their sentence in the most painful way possible--witnessing how people who are really FREE live... ;)
WoW!! now that would be a dream come true.:D