• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boycotts, Vacations, Guns & Money

Vanns40

imported post

I don't usually support boycotts for the simple reason that they don't work. However, this lunacy with California boycotting Arizona over a law designed to do what the Federal Govt. will not do infuriates me and deserves discussion.

Let's look at a few factors involved. When I go on vacation, do I want to visit a State that does not let me carry my gun and cares not a wit for my safety and the rule of law? OR, do I want to visit a State that not only obeys the rule of law but has enacted a law that allows law-abiding citizens to carry concealed weapons without a permit? Hmm, tough choice.

If you believe Arizona is getting a raw deal you might consider sending a note to the board of tourism of a couple of cities and let them know you'll be spending your money in Arizona, not California. Below is one link to a Board of Tourism. Let the discussion begin. :)

public-relations@sanfrancisco.travel

ecocks

imported post

Agreed. My wife has seen San Fransisco and I'd lot rather do Florida's Disney than CA's so I don't see any reason to go there in my future.

Arizona though has some pretty country around the Canyon which she wanted to see.Other states have developing wine regions worth checking out and supporting as well.

I expect soon they will announce boycottsof MT, WY, ID and other states as they begin to react to the Pro-Firearms Actslegislation preventing federal regulation on in-state purchases of ammo and weapons manufactured in those states. I also hope other states begin passing Immigration laws in an effort to correct the situation that our federal government has brought on through their repeated FAILURE to enforce existing laws.

I Can Do Without CA (Now, wouldn't that be a great bumpersticker campaign?).

SCJeffro

imported post

So far the Boycotts on Arizona I know of are from:

San Diego, CA

San Francisco, CA

Seattle, WA

Austin, TX

Dallas, TX (considering a Boycott)

All places I will not be visiting any time soon... and Nearly all my family lives in or within 1-2 hours of Seattle, WA :?

If you know of any more post them!

rpyne

imported post

ecocks wrote:
Agreed. My wife has seen San Fransisco and I'd lot rather do Florida's Disney than CA's so I don't see any reason to go there in my future.
What I don't understand is why anyone who supports the RKBA would give any money to Disney? Disney is as anti-gun as any business there is.

SCJeffro

imported post

rpyne wrote:
ecocks wrote:
What I don't understand is why anyone who supports the RKBA would give any money to Disney? Disney is as anti-gun as any business there is.
I am learning that just because people claim to support the RKBA movement doesn't mean they do... Look at how many people are self proclaimed "RKBA supporters" and don't believe people should be allowed to OC or are against bills like AZ's Constitutional Carry or believe that gun owners should be "required" to go through training before being "allowed" to even carry a gun, OC or CC... These are just some examples that infuriate me!

The truth is a lot of gun owners DO NOT support the whole 2nd amendment... they are Ok with the first part but they completely ignore the "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

:banghead:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

One good thing about AZ doing what it did was to bring more (Culture War) enemies out of the closet. Take note of who they are and remember. For later.

I only hope AZ remains steadfast and does not cave-in to La-Raza-shouting flag-waving Mexicans in the streets or so-called 'American citizen'boycotters in other states. IMO, both groups are traitors and all should be deported.

To hell with Dallas and all the other boycotters of AZ...and Governor Perry of TX as well for failing to follow AZ's lead. SinceHE doesn't LEAD, at least he (and NM's governor Richardson, too) should have followedGovernor Brewer of AZ...but Perrycan't even stand up for securing his own state's the Border (let alone getting behind OC).

Disgraceful.

- John D.

SemperFiTexan

imported post

Texas leans heavily to the left on the illegal immigration law because so many illegals are here and vote. Texas politicians refuse to require I.D. to vote, hence the illegals vote for the Dem and Liberals who return the favor by not enforcing the laws already on the books and by not making any more laws to remove or stop the illegal immigrants from flooding our state.

langenc

imported post

I recently travelled thru ILLINOIS , successfully, E and W bound. I notified a couple of larger travel bureaus along the route a few days later. (successfully passed thru IL-did not set foot on IL pavement/soil)-no gas, beverages, lunch and sure as hexx lodging.

I expect they have no idea of what I talked about. I do it anyway.
We ought to all be running to AZ in support of them. They are doing what everyone else is afraid to do!

daddy4count

imported post

I understand some of the reasoning behind the boycott...

The only part of the AZ law that I take exception with is the requirement to display proof of citizenship based on what you look like. Face it, there are many Americans with Latino herritage... this is a direct violation of their rights.

Racial profiling is bad methodology in America for that very reason. If all Americans were white it would be easier... but since we are a melting pot of so many cultures it isn't as simple to judge by appearance as it might be in some countries.

That being said, I am all for kicking out illegals who refuse to play by the rules.

When did we stop calling them "illegal" and start calling them "undocumented" by the way? Is this so we will stop thinking of them as law breakers?

No, sir... it is not illegal... this is an "undocumented" fully automatic rifle... hmmmmmm... isn't the same somehow?

I also tend to think that no one state has the right to tell another what to do or how to think... we are America, we're allowed to disagree. We shouldn't have to enforce trade embargo on our fellow countrymen.

If it is unconstitutional the Fed's and the ACLU will work it out... if not then it isn't anybody's business but the citizens of that state. It is between them and the politicians who wrote and passed the legislation.

just my two cents... or did I give you a quarters worth..? :)

SCJeffro

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
I also tend to think that no one state has the right to tell another what to do or how to think... we are America, we're allowed to disagree. We shouldn't have to enforce trade embargo on our fellow countrymen.

I see you are from one of the boycotting cities. Have you written letters and emails stating what you said above to Seattle officials?

langenc

imported post

daddy4count wrote:

The only part of the AZ law that I take exception with is the requirement to display proof of citizenship based on what you look like. Face it, there are many Americans with Latino herritage... this is a direct violation of their rights.

Racial profiling is bad methodology in America for that very reason. If all Americans were white it would be easier... but since we are a melting pot of so many cultures it isn't as simple to judge by appearance as it might be in some countries.

That being said, I am all for kicking out illegals who refuse to play by the rules.

When did we stop calling them "illegal" and start calling them "undocumented" by the way? Is this so we will stop thinking of them as law breakers?

No, sir... it is not illegal... this is an "undocumented" fully automatic rifle... hmmmmmm... isn't the same somehow?

If it is unconstitutional the Fed's and the ACLU will work it out... if not then it isn't anybody's business but the citizens of that state. It is between them and the politicians who wrote and passed the legislation.

I wonder where you come down regarding open carry (OC)??

Should one OCing be required to show ID etc?? Some LEOs around here think so.

B

Bikenut

imported post

daddy4count wrote:

Hmmmm... concerning the portions of your post I italicized....

After a quick overview of Arizona's Senate Bill 1070 I do not see any provisions for requiring proof of citizenship based upon what a person "looks like" or any hint of "racial profiling" contained therein.

What I did see is that an individual must first be involved in a "lawful stop" by LE before proof of citizenship can be required.

In other words.. an individual must first be lawfully stopped for RAS or PC of a crime other than suspicion of illegally being in this country before being asked to prove citizenship. Hence LE cannot just stop for the purpose of requiring proof of citizenship...

The media is pushing this "racial profiling" thing... and the "just because someone looks like" thing... in order to push the Administration's desire to keep illegals here because of their desire to give amnesty to current illegals .. to gain Democratic votes.

Please... everyone... read the bill.

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/sb1070s.pdf

daddy4count

imported post

Emails yes... letters no.

I'm actually hoping they make an android app like the Congress one, only for local officials. I would love to just pop open my phone to email the Governor, AG, my mayor, city council, etc from one handy place.

As it is, the Congress app makes it simple to do so for the Federal legislators.

If you have an android phone... or iphone probably? I recommend getting that app. It's free and very handy. It makes it almost too easy to call your Senator.

;)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SCJeffro wrote:

San Diego, CA

San Francisco, CA

Seattle, WA

Austin, TX

All places I will not be visiting any time soon... and Nearly all my family lives in or within 1-2 hours of Seattle, WA :?

Montgomery County, MD (according to a co-worker who lives there; I haven't seen it in writing)

daddy4count

imported post

Bikenut -

I have to admit that I have not read any of the legislation, only the arguments as they have unfolded up here. As it has been reported to us, the police in AZ now have the authority to pull you over if they have probable cause to think you are not a legal citizen and makes no further stipulation as to what that means.

Now if you are a logical person that means that if the officer has "reason to believe" that you are a Mexican he can arrest you. It is also reported here that the police there now are required to ask for proof of citizenship if they stop you for any other reason and have "probably cause" to think you might not be an American.

One case was presented in which a man was detained and then arrested because he was not carrying his birth certificate or passport.

He had a valid drivers license and SocSec but they did not consider that to be proof of citizenship.

I don't know about you, but my SocSec card and birth certificate stay locked away in a safe place and I don't even have a passport. Depending on how I shave my facial hair, and how much sun I get, I can look Mexican, Iraqi, Italian, Israeli or Ukranian... none of which are my heritage.

But again, this is just the way it has been debated up here and the reason so many are behind the boycott.

langenc -

I am all for OC. I have been licensed to carry off and on for about 15 years. I have owned and carried several calibres and models of handgun. But until recently I was only vaguely aware of open carry as a concept, right or legal debate.

I tend to conceal most often, but only because it is what I am used to doing.

I look at open carry as more of a teaching aid or educational tool... reminding the average citizen around here that guns are part of our lives and that ain't always a bad thing.

I think it is a good way to keep 2A in peoples minds... lest "THEY" remove or change it hoping we won't notice.

I like to remind people that there are those of us who still believe in protecting ourselves and those who cannot protect themselves. Those of us who have already made the choice to put ourself in harms way to protect the life or liberty of another human being, should it come to that. Or to end another human being to protect our own lives or those of our family.

I also like to remind the would-be murderers, attackers, rapists, thugs and muggers that there are a few of us who openly exercise our rights as Americans... in addition to the quarter million in WA who are licensed to do so concealed.

I would rather most people not know I am armed. To me it's a more personal thing. But I will tell you that will be the first summer I refuse to sweat in a jacket for the sake of having my little friend at my side!

Carry open, carry concealed... just arm yourself, dammit!

:)

daddy4count

imported post

All places I will not be visiting any time soon... and Nearly all my family lives in or within 1-2 hours of Seattle, WA

Tess -

You can still visit your family. Just don't spend any money in Seattle! That's really how you hurt 'em... boycott them back.

Visiting family is fine... just don't eat in town, gas up, get groceries, etc.

Step outside of the city for all of that...

;)

Seattle is a beautiful place... I love it here. Just not the politics... so much... all the time...

rodbender

imported post

cabbitone wrote:
SCJeffro wrote:

San Diego, CA

San Francisco, CA

Seattle, WA

Austin, TX

Sigh, I just don't get the direction TEXAS of all states is going in....
You need to understand that that is the city of Austin, Tx, not as the capitol. We are proud of our little Austin, Tx, it's our own little Kalifornia inside Texas. Yep the Cereal City of Texas. What ain't fruits and nuts is flakes.

SCJeffro

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
All places I will not be visiting any time soon... and Nearly all my family lives in or within 1-2 hours of Seattle, WA

Tess -

You can still visit your family. Just don't spend any money in Seattle! That's really how you hurt 'em... boycott them back.

Visiting family is fine... just don't eat in town, gas up, get groceries, etc.

Step outside of the city for all of that...

;)

Seattle is a beautiful place... I love it here. Just not the politics... so much... all the time...
Not sure who Tess is... I am Jeff :D