• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Test yourself

oldkim

imported post

I have put together several shoots over the last 2 years and I am planning do another in a few months.

As always I try to keep it interesting....

I recently went and re "classified" for IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) http://www.idpa.com

My plan is to put on a non sanctioned classifier so for those that want to compare and/or get into the competition side of pistol shooting - this may be a good way for you to get started and/or compare yourself on a national basis.

We will score and time the event.

The "classifer" is divided into 3 stages with each stage further divided into several segments of fire. Most require 2 shots to the body and 1 to the head. It's typically a 90 round match but since this is a practice match you'll be allowed to reshoot when necessary. Only one part has you moving and another focuses on using your strong hand and weak hand (1 handed shooting).

You can do an overview of the "classifer" on the IDPA website (http://www.idpa.com) Details the Course of Fire (CoF) and also any rules associated with it. We'll cover those during the shoot - step by step.

Date: TBA (projected for September?)
Cost: projected to be $30 for non members of Renton Fish and Game, $15 for members

Come experience and rank yourself to give yourself a benchmark on your current skills. Also come experience what you may have been missing all these years by not competing.

You do not have to be a member of IDPA - this isn't a sanctioned IDPA match.

I will only be contacting those on my email list. So if you are not on my email - just send your full name, phone and email to oldkim@aol.com

I will also be conducting my usual Shooting Like the Good Old Days - Shooting on the Move (SOTM) during this same day. So you can take advantage of getting some good practice in and also benchmarking yourself.

Disclaimer: Now just know that you can take the IDPA classifier at many ranges that host IDPA. Just contact the range and/or IDPA Officers. Best way to get a listing is by going to the IDPA website and contacting the folks that are listed for "club contacts."

It'll cost you anywhere from $10-20 for the real classifier and is offered throughout the year - just check with the local club on their schedulebut you do have tobe a member of IDPA. Typically no reshoots are allowed as this is a qualification classifier - but it depends on the SO and what is going on. At this shoot I'm proposing it's just a practice for you so we'll reshoot as much as you need it (time allowing).

For Washington the IDPA/USPSA local website is http://www.NWPPA-IDPA.com
What is a Classifier?
In order for shooters to be able to compete with their peers, IDPA competitors are divided into five classifications based on their skill level: Novice, Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, and Master. A “Classification Match” is a standardized format, 90-round match scored by one of our certified Safety Officers. To compete in sanctioned, regional or national championship matches, shooters must reclassify annually. NWPPA holds one classifier match per year on a regular match Saturday, and additional classification opportunities are offered throughout the year.
http://www.nwppa-idpa.com/faq.htm