Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off topic question

Post imported post

Ok lets say i am cc'ing i get into a fist fight with someone defending myself can i get in trouble for fighting while having my pistol on me?
    In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

Post imported post

good question, because this almost happened to me this weekend

Post imported post

Recoil88 wrote:
    Ok lets say i am cc'ing i get into a fist fight with someone defending myself can i get in trouble for fighting while having my pistol on me?
    kyleplusitunes wrote:
    Did/do you pull out the gun? Did/does the other guy know you have a gun?

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Recoil88 wrote:
    Ok lets say i am cc'ingÂ* i get into a fist fight with someone defending myself can i get in trouble for fighting while having my pistol on me?
    kyleplusitunes wrote:
    Hank, Just curious about where you assume "fist fight defending self" = someone pulled their gun?

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Recoil88 wrote:
    kyleplusitunes wrote:
    Hank, Just curious about where you assume "fist fight defending self" = someone pulled their gun?
    Actually, these are important questions to the situation. For what it's worth, I assumed no on the first one, but what's the answer to the second one? If the other guy knows, there is potential for a bogus charge. I'd like to think such a bogus charge would be seen through by a smart officer, but...
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    Recoil88 wrote:
    kyleplusitunes wrote:
    Would you please highlight where he assumed someone pulled a gun, I am missing that part of his post in my reading.

Post imported post

Recoil88 wrote:
    Ok lets say i am cc'ingÂ* i get into a fist fight with someone defending myself can i get in trouble for fighting while having my pistol on me?

If you have a CPL then there are no problems as far as the firearm is concerned.

Post imported post

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I cc so no one knows i am carrying if someone tried to start a fight of course i would try to calm the situation down and avoid it completely. Because i would want to avoid a situation in which someone if they see i have my gun in a scuffle would try to take it. This is just a cc question though because im sure ifsomeone were oc'ing no onewould be trying to start trouble unless they were under the influence of something.

In a situation when seconds count-The police will be there in minutes.

Post imported post

JMO

If it were me, I would first try to calm things down. If I see there is no way to deescalate the situation; I would back away and inform them that I am armed and fully able to protect myself. Should they continue, I would grab my cell and be prepared to immediately call 911.

After all...someone has to do the report.

Post imported post

So in this hypothetical fight, why haven't you pulled out your weapon?

Post imported post

I would never pull it out unless the threat called for it. Words can't cause you great bodily harm.

IF.... they continue after I have informed them that I am armed; then I pull it while I dial 911.

Pulling it without eminent danger may cost you a brandishing charge.

JMO

Post imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
    So in this hypothetical fight, why haven't you pulled out your weapon?
    Sorry, I meant this question for the original poster. He is in a 'fist fight', 'defending himself' and has a pistol concealed. He may draw his weapon if he believes that great bodily harm is imminent and maybe he should draw his weapon so (1) he may be able to deescalate and (2) might have the weapon taken or dropped in the fight.

Post imported post

I see, no problem. Yes, he should have drawn, before physical contact was made.

JMO

Post imported post

If the weapon is drawn, would you still make a police call? I think it might be a good idea because the other person could call the police and tell a different story of a crazy man with a gun. Whatcha think?

Post imported post

I think (my opinion) that any time the gun comes out for any reason then you should be the first to make the 911 call. He who calls first has more credibility than he who calls last.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

Most definitely, CYA....

Even if drawn and on target, I would call. Having a record of the event as it goes down helps support my decision to draw.

And as I posted, if all goes south; somebody has to make out the report.

Post imported post

Bikenut wrote:
    I think (my opinion) that any time the gun comes out for any reason then you should be the first to make the 911 call. He who calls first has more credibility than he who calls last.
    Absolutely!

If it's serious enough to pull out a pistola in public, it's serious enough to report to 911.

Anybody who doesn't is hiding something. Not a good thing....

Post imported post

"Obviously, this is yetanother case supporting HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense© which is, for anyone who has forgotten, is:

It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person."

Post imported post

"Obviously, this is yetanother case supporting HankT's Postulate of Civilian Self-Defense© which is, for anyone who has forgotten, is:

It is a bad strategy to shoot an unarmed person."
    Where is the "puke" emoticon?:what:
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

ROFL :celebrate

Post imported post

Personally, if I am carrying, I will avoid a fist fight at all costs.

I've gotten into a near fight before with 4 guys who were following us and giving googly eyes to my fiance, and being that I carry a spare magazine, I pulled my magazine out of my pocket, and semi-pointed it at them explaining that I have 27 reasons that they may want to reconsider leaving us alone.

They changed their minds right quick, and it completely diffused the situation. There are almost ALWAYS ways to avoid fights and diffuse situations without fighting.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Banned

Post imported post

If you got into a justifiable fight while armed, and diddnt shoot, or draw, IMO, you would be congratulated for showing the responsibility and restraint for not just resorting to your gun, and being able to maintain well enough to act this way. A gun is a tool of last resort, if theres a way to solve the conflict without it, then by all means, leave the gun out of the conflict.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

27 that's all? LOL! You are getting near my 32...we are talking one mag right? :P

just kidding mal...rock out with your Glock out!

malignity wrote:
    Personally, if I am carrying, I will avoid a fist fight at all costs.

I've gotten into a near fight before with 4 guys who were following us and giving googly eyes to my fiance, and being that I carry a spare magazine, I pulled my magazine out of my pocket, and semi-pointed it at them explaining that I have 27 reasons that they may want to reconsider leaving us alone.

They changed their minds right quick, and it completely diffused the situation. There are almost ALWAYS ways to avoid fights and diffuse situations without fighting.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Post imported post

When I took my cpl class the lawyer in our class said if you pull your gun make sure you dial 911 before the BG. If the BG runs and call 911 first, that makes him the victim, at least until the GG can prove otherwise. I know I don`t want to test the waters about this. Just a thought!

Post imported post

When I took my cpl class the lawyer in our class said if you pull your gun make sure you dial 911 before the BG. If the BG runs and call 911 first, that makes him the victim, at least until the GG can prove otherwise. I know I don`t want to test the waters about this. Just a thought!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast