• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheap .45 Practice Ammo

rscottie

imported post

I am getting a .45 acp and was looking at ammo prices.

I've found cheaper CCI Blazer Aluminum cased ammo and found on here where some people call it "crap" while others love it. They don't get into much detail other than it has a coating or something.

Are there any other problems with the aluminum stuff other than cleanliness? I am willing to clean my gun after shooting.

Also, is the Russian Wolf brand all that bad? I've got friends that shoot it by the case and they seem to love it. They actually use it for recreational shooting in more than one caliber.

But, another friend said that the Wolf metal cases will break extractors.

I will buy the good stuff for self-defense and also will make sure my gun will shoot it. For plinking, I want cheap, as long as it doesn't damage my gun!

cscitney87

imported post

I've found Winchester .45 ball ammo to be the cheapest in my area if purchased by the 100.

I buy Wolf and American Eagle ammo from the local range if I am out of Winchester. There is Blazer ammo and I have used that before. Blazer ammo isn't always wrapped in a traditional metal. I have shot these and Will Not use aluminum or steel jacketed rounds anymore. I had to many stove pipes and oddities with non-traditional jacketed rounds.

So for now it's Only Brass... No steel or aluminum.

I have been warned about CCI Speer ammo

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Some folks have great success, while some folks swear the "cheap" stuff never works right. YMMV.

Probably the point here is to find out what your gun will handle, and how well it will shoot with what it handles. There's no sense in practicing one way with the "cheap" stuff and then trying to remember you have to shift your point of aim, or hold your wrist differently, when using the "good" stuff. Something about Perfect Practice Makes Perfect.

stay safe.

hp-hobo

imported post

I have to agree with skidmark. Try shooting everything you can get your hands on and decide what you like, or more importantly what your gun(s) like.

I have personally used Blazer aluminum extensively in several calibers along with steel cased ammo from Wolf (black box and military classic), Barnaul, Golden/Silver/Brown Bear, Tula and Ulyanovsk in even more calibers all with great success. I have never experienced any ammo related problems or firearm breakage. Once again it comes down to what your gun(s) prefer and shoot best with.

The best thing about using these brands (IMO) is that if you purchase in bulk you can save a lot of money, which means you can shoot more. If brass is more to your liking, consider reloads from reputable manufacturers like Georgia Arms and BVAC. If you can find it, it's generally as cheap as steel and aluminum, again when bought in bulk.

Good luck and happy shooting.