• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun in Centreville?

hunter45

imported post

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=101389&catid=158

CENTREVILLE, Va. (WUSA) -- Fairfax County Police are investigating a fatal shooting that occurred Monday morning in the Centreville area.

Police say they were called at 10:43 am, for the report of a person shot, in the 14200 block of Compton Road. The address is in an area police described as rural. Police arrived on the scene and found a shooting victim, who was already deceased, outside of the large home located at that address.

Police believe the shooting was the result of an attempted robbery and said the suspects tried to enter the home through the garage. They were confronted there by one or more occupants of the home, and there was an argument. One person, who police described as an acquaintance of the family, was shot, and died of his injuries.

Other occupants of the home witnessed the argument, if not the shooting itself, and provided investigators some descriptions of the suspects.

Police described the suspects as two black males, one lighter-skinned, and one darker-skinned, both believed to be in their 20's, both said to be 5'9" to 5'10" tall, and both wearing dark clothing. They were last seen running from the scene, through a wooded area near Compton Road. Police searched the area, using bloodhounds, but at this point the suspects are still at large.

Police said they didn't believe anything was taken in the robbery attempt.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I know exactly where this is. In my last job, for seven and a half years, I went home on Compton Road, right by this property. Some of the homes in that area are a little secluded which can open the door to crimes such as this.

However, the more common single family home developments are still no guarantee you and your home will be safe. A house just up the street from me (perhaps less than 100 yards) was robbed a few years ago. Couple of latino types went in through an open garage which the lady of the house had left open by accident when she left for work. Several neighborhood kids saw these people going in and out of the house and assumed that they were workers hired by the homeowner.

What happened this morning is every homeowner's nightmare. Seems the victim was a gardener. Not a good thing.

virginiatuck

imported post

The garage is a prime access point since 1) they're usually not heavy-duty doors and aren't locked, just held down by an opener, 2) they're easy to forget to close, 3) a garage door opener and its street address can be found in just about any automobile, 4) some garage door remote codes can be learned using off-the-shelf replacements, and 5) people usually don't think to lock the door that's behind another "locked" door.

Southernboy, where did you hear that the victim was a gardener?

I do believe that a life was taken. :(

bohdi

imported post

While that isn't close to me, well, close is a relative term. It's fricking close enough. Especially after having been robbed myself with the garage door open. To clarify, my vehicles were went through and items taken, not an actual entering of the domicile. But because the garage was open, it happened. My neighbors still leave their doors open, even though they know what happened to me, and another neighbor up the road about 1/4 of a mile that led to FFPD chasing the guy through the development with a helo. Call me paranoid, but when FF1 is flying, I'm armed and listening. 9 out of 10 times it's justified.

nova

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Call me paranoid, but when FF1 is flying, I'm armed and listening. 9 out of 10 times it's justified.
I'm armed all the time, but you aren't paranoid. When I see/hear FF1 around (and not just "passing through") I get inside and lock up.

Actually that's something I picked up from my parents, now that I think about it.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I know exactly where this is. In my last job, for seven and a half years, I went home on Compton Road, right by this property. Some of the homes in that area are a little secluded which can open the door to crimes such as this.
My parents live right near there, as well. Their neighborhood isn't as secluded as a couple of those houses on Compton are, though.

Dreamer

imported post

I used to leave near there in Centreville, and I have a friend in FFX who is only a few miles away from there.

You'd think that someone with a house that big would have a decent alarm system, and would train their staff better as to security procedures, though.

Sorry for the gardener. What a lousy way to go. Prayers to his family...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
The garage is a prime access point since 1) they're usually not heavy-duty doors and aren't locked, just held down by an opener, 2) they're easy to forget to close, 3) a garage door opener and its street address can be found in just about any automobile, 4) some garage door remote codes can be learned using off-the-shelf replacements, and 5) people usually don't think to lock the door that's behind another "locked" door.

Southernboy, where did you hear that the victim was a gardener?

I do believe that a life was taken. :(
A news report late afternoon/early evening yesterday.

dcmidnight

imported post

I work @ a mile away and was on my way home from lunch yesterday in the middle of just a swarm of all sorts of law enforcement vehicles everywhere. It was a real mess.

Havent read anything yet on whether or not they have any leads on the guys.

hunter45

imported post

UPDATE
Victim Identified; Police Search for Truck

Sully Police District – Police identified the victim of the May 17 Compton Road homicide as Jose Ramiro Rosales Cardona, 39 of 119 Courtney Drive in Manassas. He worked as a handyman for the Centreville family. Cardona was married with two children.

Police continue to investigate the incident and are following up leads. They are exploring all facets of the case to determine whether or not this was a targeted crime.

Detectives would also like to hear from anyone who may have seen an older model, white, Toyota pick up truck in the vicinity of Bay Valley Lane between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. on Monday, May 17. A witness told police he saw someone jump into the bed of a pick up truck and pull a tarp over himself between 10:50 and 10:55 a.m. The truck then fled eastbound on Compton Road towards Union Mill Road.

Anyone with any information about this crime is asked to contact Crime Solvers by phone at 1-866-411-TIPS/8477, e-mail at www.fairfaxcrimesolvers.org or text “TIP187” plus your message to CRIMES/274637 or call Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2010/051810homicideupdate.htm