Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Thoughts on open carry in National Parks - scenario

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    Im planning to go camping soon in a National Park in CA. I understand the gun ban in National Parks is over but I want to clarify some things here first before I go.

    I plan to "loaded open carry" while within my campsite. I have a belt holster with a mag pouch on it. When I leave the campsite, I will remove the mag from the gun and put it in the mag pouch. I can walk around all day this way as long as I dont go into a federal building or within 1000 ft of a school (which there arent any schools out there anyway). I can go hiking this way andwalk all over the park just like a normal camper/tourist. When I get back to my campsite, I can put the mag back into the gun.

    I plan to have a recorder on me just in case I have an encounter but I wanted to run this all by you first to see if you see anything wrong with my intentions.

    Thanks for the info, this site rocks!

  2. #2
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    tonyoverthere wrote:
    Im planning to go camping soon in a National Park in CA. I understand the gun ban in National Parks is over but I want to clarify some things here first before I go.

    I plan to "loaded open carry" while within my campsite. I have a belt holster with a mag pouch on it. When I leave the campsite, I will remove the mag from the gun and put it in the mag pouch. I can walk around all day this way as long as I dont go into a federal building or within 1000 ft of a school (which there arent any schools out there anyway). I can go hiking this way andwalk all over the park just like a normal camper/tourist. When I get back to my campsite, I can put the mag back into the gun.

    I plan to have a recorder on me just in case I have an encounter but I wanted to run this all by you first to see if you see anything wrong with my intentions.

    Thanks for the info, this site rocks!
    Be aware that the local laws are what drive the legal method of carry. In Los Angeles County, in almost all of the county it is illegal to discharge a firearm. It is all laid out in specific areas in the county codes. This means that any National Park inside any of these prohibited areas will also be a prohibited area and you will be limited to UOC.

    Also be aware that in certain National Parks (Yosemite for example) there are schools located inside the park. This means that both the Federal and the State Gun Free School Zone laws are in effect, and you cannot open carry within 1,000 feet of school property.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    Decoligny wrote:
    Be aware that the local laws are what drive the legal method of carry. In Los Angeles County, in almost all of the county it is illegal to discharge a firearm. It is all laid out in specific areas in the county codes. This means that any National Park inside any of these prohibited areas will also be a prohibited area and you will be limited to UOC.

    Also be aware that in certain National Parks (Yosemite for example) there are schools located inside the park. This means that both the Federal and the State Gun Free School Zone laws are in effect, and you cannot open carry within 1,000 feet of school property.
    Yes sir...they do make it illegal to discharge a firearm within the county. So thats why I plan to UOC within the park EXCEPT when I am within my campsite...whereI believe I can LOC or LCC since it is my temporary place of abode or residence.

    10-4 on the school zone issue. I dont believe there are any where Im going.

  4. #4
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    405

    Post imported post

    Sounds like you have all your bases covered and understand the issues. Let us know how it goes.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    flintlock tom wrote:
    Sounds like you have all your bases covered and understand the issues. Let us know how it goes.
    Will do, this will be my first time so I figured an unincorporated area such as a National Park would be a good start to get my feet wet without expecting too much of a hassle since its not the suburbs or big city.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •