• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts on open carry in National Parks - scenario

tonyoverthere

imported post

Im planning to go camping soon in a National Park in CA. I understand the gun ban in National Parks is over but I want to clarify some things here first before I go.

I plan to "loaded open carry" while within my campsite. I have a belt holster with a mag pouch on it. When I leave the campsite, I will remove the mag from the gun and put it in the mag pouch. I can walk around all day this way as long as I dont go into a federal building or within 1000 ft of a school (which there arent any schools out there anyway). I can go hiking this way andwalk all over the park just like a normal camper/tourist. When I get back to my campsite, I can put the mag back into the gun.

I plan to have a recorder on me just in case I have an encounter but I wanted to run this all by you first to see if you see anything wrong with my intentions.

Thanks for the info, this site rocks!

Decoligny

imported post

tonyoverthere wrote:
Im planning to go camping soon in a National Park in CA. I understand the gun ban in National Parks is over but I want to clarify some things here first before I go.

I plan to "loaded open carry" while within my campsite. I have a belt holster with a mag pouch on it. When I leave the campsite, I will remove the mag from the gun and put it in the mag pouch. I can walk around all day this way as long as I dont go into a federal building or within 1000 ft of a school (which there arent any schools out there anyway). I can go hiking this way andwalk all over the park just like a normal camper/tourist. When I get back to my campsite, I can put the mag back into the gun.

I plan to have a recorder on me just in case I have an encounter but I wanted to run this all by you first to see if you see anything wrong with my intentions.

Thanks for the info, this site rocks!

Be aware that the local laws are what drive the legal method of carry. In Los Angeles County, in almost all of the county it is illegal to discharge a firearm. It is all laid out in specific areas in the county codes. This means that any National Park inside any of these prohibited areas will also be a prohibited area and you will be limited to UOC.

Also be aware that in certain National Parks (Yosemite for example) there are schools located inside the park. This means that both the Federal and the State Gun Free School Zone laws are in effect, and you cannot open carry within 1,000 feet of school property.

tonyoverthere

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Be aware that the local laws are what drive the legal method of carry. In Los Angeles County, in almost all of the county it is illegal to discharge a firearm. It is all laid out in specific areas in the county codes. This means that any National Park inside any of these prohibited areas will also be a prohibited area and you will be limited to UOC.

Also be aware that in certain National Parks (Yosemite for example) there are schools located inside the park. This means that both the Federal and the State Gun Free School Zone laws are in effect, and you cannot open carry within 1,000 feet of school property.

Yes sir...they do make it illegal to discharge a firearm within the county. So thats why I plan to UOC within the park EXCEPT when I am within my campsite...whereI believe I can LOC or LCC since it is my temporary place of abode or residence.

10-4 on the school zone issue. I dont believe there are any where Im going.

tonyoverthere

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
Sounds like you have all your bases covered and understand the issues. Let us know how it goes.

Will do, this will be my first time so I figured an unincorporated area such as a National Park would be a good start to get my feet wet without expecting too much of a hassle since its not the suburbs or big city.