• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

to act or not

RenegadeMarine

imported post

DanM wrote:
RenegadeMarine wrote:
DanM wrote:
Of course, by law in Michigan we may justifiably defend ourselves or others and we do not have a duty to retreat from the places we are legally at. However, I can think of at least two situations where my response to a BG probably would be different:

1)A BG is attacking myself or my family. My priority is protecting myself and my family. No matter how big the risk I won't make it out alive, I must engage the BG thusremoving his threat orbuying timefor my family to escape.

2)A BG is attacking others than myself or my family. My priority is staying alive and going home to my family. If Ican immediately neutralize the BG without significant risk to myself, I will do so. Otherwise,I'mcarefully withdrawing, calling the police, and reporting my observations.
I agree 100%!!! Don't forget you also have to evaluate the risk to innocent bystanders as well.

True, but not relevantfor meto include since I was discussing points of difference betweenme being more or less likelyto engagea BG.Evaluating risk to bystanders isn't a factor for meto that decision, but is a factor after the choice to engage has been made and I am manuevering for the best shot possible.

The reasonthat therisk to bystandersis only a factorwhen targeting the BG, and not germane to the decision of whether or not you will engage the BG, is that by far the greatest risk to bystanders (and yourself)is the rampaging BGand, therefore, if you can engage, you should engage. After making that determination, then you consider where bystanders are as you are targeting.
Ok, I see what you're saying. I was just thinking that if I was in a situation where I should engage the BG, but can't becausetherearetoo many people in the field of fireto make a well placed shot. Or if there were people immediately behind the BG. These factors might make me choose not to engage, due to the risk of the innocent bystanders. I think we are pretty much on the same page here.

hopnpop

imported post

DanM wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
Inaction equates guilt.

For instance, if you are standing on a sidewalk, you see that the blind man is about to cross the street in front of a car and do nothing. If he gets hit by that car, IMO you are as guilty as someone who pushed the blind man into the street to be struck by a car.

Unless there is a significant possibility action willcause great harm or death to yourself. If, in acting to keepthe blind man from beingstruck, you fear that you will be struck in the process, then inaction is wisest in order for you to take care of him immediately afterward, instead of there now being two casualtieswith, possibly, no one around to take care of either of you.

If you meant, "Unjustified inactionequates to guilt" then that is what you should say. Words mean stuff. :)

Agree, well-said. There's a good case-in-point that happened in NY just last week. Lady dropped something onto train tracks and the dummy went down to get it. A "hero" jumped down and tried to push her out of the way of the oncoming train. They were both hit - he died, she was in critical condition last I heard. I'm all about chivalry and still believe in heroics, but not at the cost of my life, sorry.