• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DPD shoot 7 year old girl

bb

imported post

Their attorney say he has video proof Dpd is trying to cover up shooting, says video shows police shooting into house from front porch.

bb

imported post

bossbart wrote:
Their attorney say he has video proof Dpd is trying to cover up shooting, says video shows police shooting into house from front porch.
It's all over the news

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...212530.html?mod=WSJ_business_IndustryNews_DLW

DETROIT—A probe into the shooting death of a seven-year-old girl by Detroit police was turned over to state investigators Monday amid questions raised by a videotape from the scene.

Police reported that shortly after midnight Sunday, officers from a special unit arrived at a home on the city's east side with an arrest warrant for a murder suspect.

Officers threw a so-called flash-bang grenade into the home and forced their way inside. The scene was captured on videotape by a crew hired by a cable-TV reality show.

Inside the home, according to police, an officer's gun discharged unintentionally and the bullet struck Aiyana Jones in the head as the child slept on a couch. The girl was declared dead at a nearby hospital.

View Full Image

Associated Press
A memorial at the Detroit house where Aiyana Jones was shot.

Police said the officer's gun went off either when he struggled with the girl's grandmother or collided with her.

But an attorney hired by the girl's family disputed the police account. Geoffrey Fieger, a high-profile Michigan attorney, said by telephone Monday that he reviewed the video of the raid that showed a Detroit police officer had fired at the house from outside.

Mr. Fieger said the grenade was thrown through a window and caused burns on Aiyana Jones's body. "If ordinary folks can't get protection from that type of thing happening, and a cover-up afterwards, we are in a serious, serious shape," Mr. Fieger said.

Michigan State Police Capt. Harold Love said he had no comment on Mr. Fieger's allegations, saying that he did not want to damage the integrity of the investigation.

Detroit police had been accompanied by a crew for Arts & Entertainment Television Network's The First 48, which follows homicide detectives in the first days of a murder investigation.

A person familiar with the matter said the TV crew did not enter the home with the special tactical response team and turned over their tape to authorities.

The Detroit Police Department asked the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office on Monday for an independent investigation of the shooting. County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said she asked the Michigan State Police to lead the investigation.

Police had search warrants for both the upstairs and downstairs unit of duplex where the shooting occurred. They arrested a man in the upper unit in connection with a killing last week of a 17-year old boy. Police would not release the name of the suspect, who has not been charged.

Charles Jones, Aiyana's father, lives in the lower unit of the duplex.

"They came to the wrong house," said Crystal Sanders, the girl's aunt, who lives in the upstairs unit.

On Monday, the front of the white, two-story house was decorated with balloons and stuffed animals. A bloodstained sofa was dragged onto the porch.

Police hauled away a GMC Yukon sport-utility vehicle from a fenced yard next to the home, a vehicle similar to one allegedly sought by police in the homicide investigation.

Detroit police defended their tactics during a press conference Sunday.

Assistant Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee said the officer had some kind of physical contact with Aiyana's grandmother in the home before the gun discharged.

"This is any parent's worst nightmare. It is also any police officer's nightmare. And today this nightmare is all too real," Mr. Godbee said.

The officer in the shooting was not named and was put on leave, officials said.

Officials had not yet released the name of the suspect arrested in the case. It was unclear whether the man had a connection with Aiyana or other residents of the duplex.

Police said they obtained their arrest warrant based on information they learned about the suspect, as well as a vehicle that linked him to the murder scene.

In April, one police officer was killed and four other wounded in a shoot-out with suspects in a vacant home, marking the first death of a Detroit police officer in five years.

Sefner

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
Sefner wrote:
Blanked, I actually want to stay out of this as a first post :lol:.
actually, what you said had merit. post away
I'll hold my tongue until the investigation is over. Everyone will speculate and that speculation is only based on more speculation. Hopefully it was an accident and the people of Detroit have no reason to further distrust their Police force. My thoughts and sympathies go out to the family and the officer.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

they are lying. NO ONE is going to sleep through a flashbang grenade going off in the house.

This was negligence beyond all. Follow the 4 basic safety rules (which my 7 year old can recite) and this would have never happened.

cmdr_iceman71

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
they are lying. NO ONE is going to sleep through a flashbang grenade going off in the house.

This was negligence beyond all. Follow the 4 basic safety rules (which my 7 year old can recite) and this would have never happened.

That was my first thought too; "How could a 7 year old girl sleeping on the living room couch not be awakened by the sound of police throwing a flash bang through the front window, followed by the immediate commotion of bashing in the front door and the footsteps of numerous LEO’s shouting "Police, Get Down!" coupled with startled family members shouting WTF!?"

Unlessshe washeavily sedated?

bb

imported post

If what Feiger said today at a news conference is true then DPD is trying to cover something up, I wouldn't think he would say this if he didn't have solid proof. Makes u wonder

kryptonian

imported post

bossbart wrote:
If what Feiger said today at a news conference is true then DPD is trying to cover something up, I wouldn't think he would say this if he didn't have solid proof. Makes u wonder

not to diminish the loss of that poor innocent girl or the grief of her family i have to spread some blame around evenly. why isn't the family placing any blame on the murder suspect that brought the police there in the first place? in a duplex the police would have to include the other occupied house if it had access in the search warrant. the police lost a fine officer very recently in a similar raid and understandably cautious. in a raid like that the entry team has one objective - go in and get everybody on the ground. they then disarm and determine identities. if the grandmother ignored lawful orders of uniformed (raid jacketed) officers and resisted causing physical contact with the officer when the gun discharged then she can share some blame.
i don't know who contacted who in the feiger law office. he has been known to jump into a case himself. the body wasn't even cold and the family was crying for law suits. they took time out of their very fresh mourning to determine a dollar value on her life. it would be months before i could even think about anything like that. feiger goes for money and/or noteriety. his favorite target is DPD. he KNOWS wayne county juries are notoriously generous for handing out civil money awards. police know it too and settle out of court. i've seen feiger and dr. jack kervorkian eating at coney island down the street from his southfield office. watching him right now on fox national news. unrelated side note - his head is HUGE!! how does he hold it up? looked like mt. rushmore. dr. k left his sweater on the chair and i gave it to him. that my claim to fame. al pacino looks very close to him in the movie by the way. i have a whole soapbox about feiger but i'll just say sorry for his loss - his brother died recently (lead singer of The Knack - My Sharona)
i'm reminded of the malice green case. on crack he fought with detectives and tried to grab their guns when accidentally shot. officers didn't get a jury of their peers - got a jury of his peers. both officers went to prison. family made malice to be such a saint. think they got $5 mil and family that didn't see him for years fought over money.
just my opinion. take it as that.

VietVet68

imported post

I'm sure everybody recalls what happened last week when a CPL holder had his truck stolen by a 19 yo punk that crashed the car and then tried to run away. But that was no deterrant to the CPL holder who fired at the back of the 19 yo buy hit and killed a 64 yo grandmother in her kitchen making dinner.
This latest incident is very much like the other because of the negligent behavior of the shooter.

lil_freak_66

imported post

randomguy5454 wrote:
I thought No knock warrants are illegal in Michigan? Does anyone have anything to prove or disprove this?
ive seen no knocks in this state before,fairly sure they are not illegal.

Pagan

imported post

The police have time and investigators on their side to make sure where and when people are at locations. A few hours of staking this place out could have lead to the arrest being made on the street in day light, or atleast in an enviroment that limited bystanders as potential "threats" or in this case "victim". No knock warrants are an invitation to LEO's getting shot at by fearful residents.

Are we to bow down to armed invaders kicking in our doors, and assume they haveour best interest in mind? That simply goes against all my personal instincts of survival, and my concept of living under the U.S Constitution as a free man with rights bestowed upon me by God.

The man that accidentally shot the 64 year old woman , did not have time toprepare for the crime committed against him, he did not get advance warning of the criminal's intentions, that makes the situation totally different. I'm not saying he is not liable for the bad marksmanship, but the cops have time and manpower on their side, time to prepare and practice and survail the duplex, to make sure of their target, and above all else insure that innocents are not lost in their SS style invasion.

How does killing an innocent, to capture a "suspect" create a safer society? Cops are out of control in the country IMO. How does even creating potential bystander/victims, make us safer? And yes the DPD created that situation IMO.

lapeer20m

imported post

kryptonian wrote:
bossbart wrote:
if the grandmother ignored lawful orders of uniformed (raid jacketed) officers and resisted causing physical contact with the officer when the gun discharged then she can share some blame.

I think the story you mentioned above was dpd's spin on the events. Sounds like the video clearly shows the shot was negligently fired from the porch outside the house as the flash bang grenade went off. The grandmother made physical contact with the officer(s) after she realized her grandchild had been shot.

detroit_fan

imported post

Pagan wrote:
The police have time and investigators on their side to make sure where and when people are at locations. A few hours of staking this place out could have lead to the arrest being made on the street in day light, or atleast in an enviroment that limited bystanders as potential "threats" or in this case "victim". No knock warrants are an invitation to LEO's getting shot at by fearful residents.

Are we to bow down to armed invaders kicking in our doors, and assume they haveour best interest in mind? That simply goes against all my personal instincts of survival, and my concept of living under the U.S Constitution as a free man with rights bestowed upon me by God.

The man that accidentally shot the 64 year old woman , did not have time toprepare for the crime committed against him, he did not get advance warning of the criminal's intentions, that makes the situation totally different. I'm not saying he is not liable for the bad marksmanship, but the cops have time and manpower on their side, time to prepare and practice and survail the duplex, to make sure of their target, and above all else insure that innocents are not lost in their SS style invasion.

How does killing an innocent, to capture a "suspect" create a safer society? Cops are out of control in the country IMO. How does even creating potential bystander/victims, make us safer? And yes the DPD created that situation IMO.

I agree 100%. Police have abused the no-knock warrants just like everyother aspect of their jobs. I can't even believe they will grant no-knocks for just a suspect, that shouldn't even be an option.

Hope they're happy, they killed a little girl and it's ALL their fault. I hope they get the pants sued off of them and the officer should be charged with murder,the same asan ordinary cotizen would ifour gun had just "discharged unintentionally" killing an innocent child.